PDA

View Full Version : Disadvantages of eating big meals

BFGUITAR
10-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Are eating big meals a bad thing?
Im just curious to know.

I know it sbetter to eat a fair amount several times a day but if I do that as well, will that be "ok"?

ddegroff
10-07-2006, 04:37 PM
No, calories matter.

Some people consume 1000-2000 calorie shakes.

BFGUITAR
10-07-2006, 11:59 PM
My question was, does it matter if I have teh required calories in 6 meals rather than 3-4?

TopCat
10-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Personally, eating large meals make me feel real bloated and overweight. I prefer smally meals often so I feel like im eating normal while on a bulk.

10-08-2006, 01:27 AM
6 or more is much better than 3-4 for many reasons 1) because your body can only utilize so much protein at one time the exact amout it differnt for everyone, so if you eat all you protein in fewer meals more will be stored as fat insead of being used for muscle growth 2) eating for freqquently keep your metabolism goin 3) eating does good things for your insulin levels 4) eating more frequetly keeps your body feueled and much much more!

McIrish
10-08-2006, 01:49 AM
6 or more is much better than 3-4 for many reasons 1) because your body can only utilize so much protein at one time the exact amout it differnt for everyone, so if you eat all you protein in fewer meals more will be stored as fat insead of being used for muscle growth 2) eating for freqquently keep your metabolism goin 3) eating does good things for your insulin levels 4) eating more frequetly keeps your body feueled and much much more!

Actually, 8.8, I don't think all of that is strictly true. I did a bit of a search - scroll down to the bottom. Thanks to Holto for digging up these studies...

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=69975&highlight=study+1+meal+6+meals

The take-home message is that it does not matter how many meals you have/day - this has no statistically significant effect on fat gain/loss or muscle gain/loss. Again, as enigmatic as it seems, all that matters is how many calories you are taking in on a daily basis.

Built
10-08-2006, 01:52 AM
Indeed. Although plenty of us eat frequently, for the most part, it's for comfort. It doesn't actually stimulate metabolism any more than 3 meals, or even one for that matter. Your body is fuelled no matter what.

powerrack
10-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Would it keep blood sugar levels more stable eating more frequently?

Built
10-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Sure. But blood sugar levels go up in response to exercise as well, so it's a little bit tricky to separate out the effect of diet and exercise here. Nutrient composition is a factor as well.

powerrack
10-08-2006, 04:35 PM
What about for us bigger trainees that are also enhanced who may be at the 500gram range on protein per day? Wouldn't it be kind of rough sticking that in 3-4 meals?

Built
10-08-2006, 04:37 PM
See, that's the bigger advantage - you can overeat with more comfort.

powerrack
10-08-2006, 04:44 PM
So basically if you are a bigger athlete with higher calorie and nutrient demands, it may be to your advantage to go with smaller servings throughout the day in order to feel more comfortable while still getting in the higher end of calories,protein,fat,etc that you require for your needs?

Built
10-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Sure.

Or if you're the kind of person who likes to graze rather than feast.

It really just comes down to comfort.