PDA

View Full Version : College Biology Extra Credit Help

markdk86
10-08-2006, 03:34 PM
I have questions to answer for extra credit on a Midterm, but can't find te information anywhere.

Can anyone help ? I need the answer but also have to write WHY it is that answer.

1) If you were to add olive oil to food as a part of your diet to lower the rish of atherosclerotic disease, you would use olive oil that was:
A) liquid at room temperature
B) was hydrogenated (I know this is not it)
C) modified to be solid at room temp.
D) had lard added to it (again, no)
E) none of the above

2) The glucose produced by a plant is used to make the cabohydrate, protiens, fats, and nucliec acids of the plant. Which statement is true about the process of converting sugars into other molecules ?
A) Glucose contains all of the elements needed to produce other molecules
B) Clucose contains all the elements to produce carbohydrates, but the other elements must come from the soil if the plant is to produce the protein, fats, and nucleic acids.
C) Glucose contains all the elements needed to produce the carbohydrates and fats, but the other elements must come from the soil to produce proteins and acids.
D) Glucose contains all the elements to produce the carbohydrates and nucleic acids but the other elements must come from the soil if the plant is to produce proteins and fats
E) None of the above

3) The body uses atoms in different ways to accomplish different tasks. fr example, one portion of the bodys calcium supply strengthens bones, whereas another portion combines with proteins to stimulate blood clotting after tissue injury. Which statement below provides the most logical explination of calciums ability to perform such different actions ?
A) The bone contains calcium salts, which are less reactive then the calcium ions found in the blood.
B) The calcium in blood is a more reactive form of the atom and therefore has fewer protons in th calcium in bone.
C) There are many different isotopes of calcium, and the most reactive isotope is found in bone.
D) Calcium in blood has a lighter atomic mass then the calcium in bone and is in a more reactive form.
E) Both B and D are true.

4) Why does a wool sweater shrink perminatley when you run it through the dryer.

5) Jack used shortining and olive oil for his picnic. He left the lids off when he put te shortning and oilive oil back into his dark cupboard at room temperature. The oil spoiled but the shortning smelled okay. Speculate which molecular bonds in these substances were the starting point for the difference ?

TTT
10-08-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm pretty sure it's (1)A, (2)C, 3(A). That's what I would have picked, anyway. Don't quote me on it. The second question is a bit tricky :)

For (4), you need to research protein deformation and heat denaturation. Google and/or pubmed should give you your answers.

The reasoning behind question #1 (in terms of what I think they want you to say, anyway), is that the oil which is liquid at room temperature is likely to be less saturated than the ones which have been modified (read: hydrogenated) to be solid at room temperature. The hydrogenation process often results in trans fats.

For #2, to the best of my knowledge, plants cannot obtain Nitrogen in any metabolically-usable form from the air, the same way humans can't. Nucleic acids and proteins are both nitrogenous molecules. Therefore, they must come from the soil, after having been 'fixed' into nitrogenous compounds there by bacteria, fungi, etc.

For (5), as far as I know, rancidity in oils is caused by oxidation. Oxidation is easier when the oil is less saturated, because of the double bonds and lack of hydrogens. I'm not a chemist though. :)

markdk86
10-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Thank you. Doing this on top of my regular work makes my eyes want to fall out.

Finding out the reasoning for question 3 is going to be difficult.

TTT
10-08-2006, 06:08 PM
No problem.

Actually, I think the reasoning for (3) shouldn't be too bad - look up the clotting process, and the reactions between platelets, etc. It's probably just something to do with calcium channels and ion pumps - as an ion, it can be used to set up a gradient. As a salt stuck inside a bone, it can't.

TTT
10-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Also, get Slim and EC to help you out, they're in the field.

markdk86
10-08-2006, 06:14 PM
And to think I thought about going into Pre Med possibly. LOL. i'll stick with being an EMT

nhlfan
10-08-2006, 06:50 PM
number 2 is c. that's the only one i know off the top of my head.

MixmasterNash
10-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Stop cheating.

markdk86
10-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Lol she gave us the stuff to take home. Never said I cant get help :P

ectx
10-08-2006, 08:28 PM
I'll give you enough info on the wool and olive oil questions to help you figure it out....

4) why does wool shrink permanently...

hints: 'dry wool' is 17% water, is really sheep hair and therefore has a sheath of scales, and these scales run in 1 direction...something happens to them under high heat and moisture...that's your big clue

5) Olive oil is unsaturated and therefore liquid. Shortning is saturated and therefore solid. unsaturated oils are kind of curved and have a slight negative charge on them. Solid fats are saturated and more neutral in charge. Now think about which of these is more likely to be oxidized?

as an aside, calcium in your bones is different from calcium in your blood.

that is all

markdk86
10-09-2006, 06:18 AM
I appreciate all the help guys. The wool one was the only one I figured out all by myself. Thanks for google.