PDA

View Full Version : Supplement debate with Mother in Law!!!

1mmort4l
10-09-2006, 02:30 AM
I lack the ability to give an amazing and beleivable debate in regards to Body building and fitness supplementation. I regularly hear family members and freinds etc.. dribbling on to me about, "Oh, all that ppprotein stuff you take is not good for you, you know!" "I heard on the news that it causes cancer and all sorts of things!"
My Mother in law, on the weekend said a similar thing when we all went to a cafe for a coffee, (i dont drink coffee, and felt like some nuts and some protein) and i went to the health shop and bought an EAS Myoplex Meal replacement drink and some cashews. I took them back to the cafe, and My MIL starts...

"Dribble dribble same old rubish (politely), all the chemicals in that blah blah blah." Meanwhile she is eating a cake... and drinking a cappucino. :omg:

Anyway, she is a very health conscious person, and says that she rarely indulges in cakes etc.. She is HUGE on anti bacterial wash this, spotlessly clean that, etc etc....
I attempted to debate with her that the ingredients she was reading out (which were apparantly bad) were actually Vitamins, minerals, amino acids etc... I got a bit angry because im sick of people that think they know what is good and what isnt, (other half wasnt too happy about it) who have never even researched the topic correctly, trying to spin off some rubbish about how its bad because i saw it on the news, or read it etc....

Is this some old school thing where supplementation was actually not well refined, and probably did contain crap to make it taste better?
Is she actually right somewhere along the line?

I just need to reherse a decent debate which sounds good, and is truthful!
What do some of you "experts" say?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the replies.... :thumbup:

TheGimp
10-09-2006, 04:30 AM
If that is you in your avatar next time she starts up I think you should just rip off your shirt and flex your abs.

In my experience it's just not worth debating these kinds of things with people that are ignorant.

Westsidemonster
10-09-2006, 04:50 AM
Just tell her to f*** off and mind her own business! Women will push your buttons because they love to see all that testostestore filled male anger erupt at any moment! They love it, they are just fascinated by it, then once they seen it once or twice...then they'll leave you alone and respect you...at some point you are going to have to put your foot down...or you can just say ''Listen! please, I don't wanna talk about it!'' That should take care of the problem...But sometimes this will not satisfy their curiosity...good luck...lol!

1mmort4l
10-09-2006, 05:23 AM
If that is you in your avatar next time she starts up I think you should just rip off your shirt and flex your abs.

In my experience it's just not worth debating these kinds of things with people that are ignorant.

LOL, thanks Gimp. It is me, but apparantly its not enough...
I need to give her a response that Einstein would be proud of.. And all the others!

Just tell her to f*** off and mind her own business!

Oh, Westside... I will find myself out on the road mate..:eek:. I like the woman, its just annoying!
Saying i dont want to talk about will work, but she will concede that as me accepting that she is right, and i am wrong...

Definately not what im after.. :idea:

manowar669
10-09-2006, 05:39 AM
People find all kinds of reasons/excuses to justify their own laziness or lack of willpower, either in dieting or not exercising. "I have a gland problem", "I can't exercise because of my depression", "That stuff is not good for you". "I don't like that kind of food". etc. etc. They're experts because they watched Dateline on sunday night, and it said that you'll have a stroke if you take creatine.
It makes them feel better about being a fat lazy toad themselves.

Steele
10-09-2006, 05:51 AM
People allow themselves to be influenced too much by the mainstream media, imo. But i reckon you're right ;) Myoplex was taken off the shelves of some European countries because it contained too much 'junk', so she may have been right in some respects. Maybe it is less bad for Americans?

-Steele

People find all kinds of reasons/excuses to justify their own laziness or lack of willpower, either in dieting or not exercising. "I have a gland problem", "I can't exercise because of my depression", "That stuff is not good for you". "I don't like that kind of food". etc. etc. They're experts because they watched Dateline on sunday night, and it said that you'll have a stroke if you take creatine.
It makes them feel better about being a fat lazy toad themselves.

Fuzzy
10-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Im trying to get my mum to let me order protein bars, and shake powder..

I think her being a Lebanese mother and all, the conept of her son not getting enough from her food is beyond her...

VikingWarlord
10-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Oh, Westside... I will find myself out on the road mate..:eek:. I like the woman, its just annoying!
Saying i dont want to talk about will work, but she will concede that as me accepting that she is right, and i am wrong...

Definately not what im after.. :idea:

Ask her what she thinks you should do instead. Listen to her, say "I'll take that under advisement" and let her think she's won. It'll be less annoying to you.

Mothers-in-law don't change their minds on ANY topic EVER. It doesn't matter if you could show her charts and graphs and get God himself to come down and explain protein absorption. She'll still insist she's right.

Pick your battles. This one you cannot win.

RedSpikeyThing
10-09-2006, 09:34 AM
I've found the best way to deal with people on this subject (And other training related subjects, for that matter) is to letthem talk themselves into a corner. First, make sure you refer to them as supplements - it makes them seem a lot less intimidating. For example, ask her why you shouldn't take a protein supplement. When she says "because they contain chemicals", kindly point out that they are completly derived from eggs and milk. And then ask again.

That has been my approach and I find it's a lot better than being confrontational. Good luck!

BFGUITAR
10-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Im trying to get my mum to let me order protein bars, and shake powder..

I think her being a Lebanese mother and all, the conept of her son not getting enough from her food is beyond her...

Im its the same with Jewish mothers (and especially grandmothers)

VikingWarlord
10-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Im its the same with Jewish mothers (and especially grandmothers)

Don't forget Italian!! Thankfully, I don't have to deal with this, but I know people that do.

Westsidemonster
10-10-2006, 03:27 AM
Don't forget Italian!! Thankfully, I don't have to deal with this, but I know people that do.
I'm not sure what you meant by that, but please be careful with your words, don't be direspecting the Italian people! I'm Italian, you got something against Italians?

Fuzzy
10-10-2006, 03:43 AM
I'm not sure what you meant by that, but please be careful with your words, don't be direspecting the Italian people! I'm Italian, you got something against Italians?

No, he doesent.

But take an Italian grandmother... if her grandkids arent having trouble breathing from all the food, thesn she thinks she aint doing her job right.

Same with Greeks, Lebanese, Jewish and the likes.

Like I said, my Lebanese mother is somewhat insulted when I asked to get some powder, and bars.

Shes feels sad that she cant feed her son enough...

SO unless Ive eaten the 5 poubd steak, she wont let me leave the table.

Im sure you can relate;)

1mmort4l
10-10-2006, 05:08 AM

WTF??????? :scratch:
Its common knowledge that Italians Mothers and Grandaprents in particular are big on offering feasts of destruction! I hardly see him attempting to disrespect Italians. Do you act like that in real life? tuttut

I am Italian for the record.

1mmort4l
10-10-2006, 05:10 AM
Ask her what she thinks you should do instead. Listen to her, say "I'll take that under advisement" and let her think she's won. It'll be less annoying to you.

Mothers-in-law don't change their minds on ANY topic EVER. It doesn't matter if you could show her charts and graphs and get God himself to come down and explain protein absorption. She'll still insist she's right.

Pick your battles. This one you cannot win.

LOL, i actually decided this aswell...

I've found the best way to deal with people on this subject (And other training related subjects, for that matter) is to letthem talk themselves into a corner. First, make sure you refer to them as supplements - it makes them seem a lot less intimidating. For example, ask her why you shouldn't take a protein supplement. When she says "because they contain chemicals", kindly point out that they are completly derived from eggs and milk. And then ask again.

That has been my approach and I find it's a lot better than being confrontational. Good luck!

This should work ok in future. Thanks, ill give it a shot... :ninja: :thumbup:

Westsidemonster
10-11-2006, 03:14 AM
I guess you could say I'm strict, all I was saying was to be more careful, that's all...;)

Westsidemonster
10-12-2006, 07:39 AM
I lack the ability to give an amazing and beleivable debate in regards to Body building and fitness supplementation. I regularly hear family members and freinds etc.. dribbling on to me about, "Oh, all that ppprotein stuff you take is not good for you, you know!" "I heard on the news that it causes cancer and all sorts of things!"
My Mother in law, on the weekend said a similar thing when we all went to a cafe for a coffee, (i dont drink coffee, and felt like some nuts and some protein) and i went to the health shop and bought an EAS Myoplex Meal replacement drink and some cashews. I took them back to the cafe, and My MIL starts...

"Dribble dribble same old rubish (politely), all the chemicals in that blah blah blah." Meanwhile she is eating a cake... and drinking a cappucino. :omg:

Anyway, she is a very health conscious person, and says that she rarely indulges in cakes etc.. She is HUGE on anti bacterial wash this, spotlessly clean that, etc etc....
I attempted to debate with her that the ingredients she was reading out (which were apparantly bad) were actually Vitamins, minerals, amino acids etc... I got a bit angry because im sick of people that think they know what is good and what isnt, (other half wasnt too happy about it) who have never even researched the topic correctly, trying to spin off some rubbish about how its bad because i saw it on the news, or read it etc....

Is this some old school thing where supplementation was actually not well refined, and probably did contain crap to make it taste better?
Is she actually right somewhere along the line?

I just need to reherse a decent debate which sounds good, and is truthful!
What do some of you "experts" say?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the replies.... :thumbup:
How old are you anyways?...lol