PDA

View Full Version : 5'8" 169lbs 1 month of hardcore cut and lost 1 pound?!!!

bender73
10-09-2006, 08:28 PM
bottom line, i ate EXTREMELY clean for 1 month and counted all calories to the max. BMR 1700 kcal. i averaged 1900 Kcal and worked out hard 3-5x/wk.

all this and i lost 1 pound???

this seems to defy all logic, no?

and i am being very serious and did not cheat except for maybe 3 meals all month. no snacks, chicken, tuna, water, slim fast, protein shakes, veggies, all the good stuff, etc..

i do look a little better/tighter in the mirror, but 1 pound?

so tonight i said f#$% it and had frozen pretzel-pizza bites and beer. i mean, why not?!!!

thoughts?

PoutineEh
10-09-2006, 08:46 PM
could be a few reasons. did you weigh yourself at the same time during the day? your weight can fluctuate a few pounds throughout the day. also, creatine would make you retain weight, incase you are taking it.
how new are you to weight lifting also? if you are pretty new, it is possible to lose fat and put on some muscle.
and if you are doing everything right and your arent retaining water etc., just means you need to cut out a few more calories. also, were you weighing yourself throughout the month? because if you still havent lost weight after a week, you shouldve posted earlier and tried to correct the problem. its not that big of a deal you went a month w/o losing weight. just think about the long term and take this as a lesson learned.

RedSpikeyThing
10-09-2006, 09:13 PM
How did you determine your BMR? Perhaps your metabolism increased during this time as well. Someone at your weight should be eating more than that any way. I know it's an individual thing, but I weigh ~155 and I'm eating 3500.

Davidelmo
10-10-2006, 01:36 AM
Did you take into account your activity level? BMR of 1700 is really low - assuming you're a guy. Try 2500kcal and see if you gain weight. If you do, then you know your real figure is between 1700 and 2500.

1mmort4l
10-10-2006, 03:00 AM
bottom line, i ate EXTREMELY clean for 1 month and counted all calories to the max. BMR 1700 kcal. i averaged 1900 Kcal and worked out hard 3-5x/wk.

all this and i lost 1 pound???

this seems to defy all logic, no?

and i am being very serious and did not cheat except for maybe 3 meals all month. no snacks, chicken, tuna, water, slim fast, protein shakes, veggies, all the good stuff, etc..

i do look a little better/tighter in the mirror, but 1 pound?

so tonight i said f#$% it and had frozen pretzel-pizza bites and beer. i mean, why not?!!!

thoughts?

How old are you? If your fairly young, that could also have something to do with it.

RedSpikeyThing
10-10-2006, 09:03 AM
How did you determine your BMR? Perhaps your metabolism increased during this time as well. Someone at your weight should be eating more than that any way. I know it's an individual thing, but I weigh ~155 and I'm eating 3500.

OP: Sorry I totally misread your post - I thought you were bulking.

In either case, 1700 seems low.

dav619
10-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Perhaps you gained muscle and lost fat? If you look a little tighter the mirror doesn't usually lie.

Davidelmo
10-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Try this:
Weigh yourself once a week AT THE MOST. If you do it every day you will start to obsess about it. Try doing it every monday morning, after using the toilet and before eating anything.

Also, get some calipers and measure your body fat and get a tape measure and measure your chest, arms, legs, waist etc.

That will probably give the best results you can get at home.

malkore
10-10-2006, 02:25 PM
BMR is your basal rate...that's like if you were bed-ridden.
since you move around, lift weights, probably have a job, and do house chores, that's gonna significantly raise your BMR number.

Built
10-10-2006, 02:31 PM
How do you measure your food?

bender73
10-10-2006, 07:04 PM
thanks!

i am 33yo. i also prolly eat too little. 12hr shifts in the hospital on the surgery service so i am walking on the wards all day if i am not in the OR.

my only thought is that my body is in starvation mode and retaining every calorie.

i am indeed looking better in the mirror, but i figured that i would have lost a lot more in 1 month. i would say i am around 14% BF since i look a lot better/tighter than the time i was professionally measured...and that was when i was 17% BF.

maybe i have to mix things up a bit with more cheat days. i might also need to shock the muscles a bit.

i have been lifting on a regular basis for about 3 years.

Bohizzle
10-10-2006, 09:34 PM
u could've possibly recomped if you lost only 1 lb yet look much better. or u could have just been holding water weight/pee/poo the second time u weighed urself.

Andrew

Ruffian
10-11-2006, 03:15 PM
also remember muscle weights more then fat.

Personally I eat about that number of calories right now and im recompositioning, and Im a girl. Perhaps you should focus more on doing a clean bulk right now, up your calories by 500-1000 and continue eating clean. IF you do it right technically speaking you should be gaining more muscle and not as much fat. I think your problem is your cut is too harsh for the bf% you are at, especially if you are walking around for 12 hours on end + training for weights.

What is your height/weight

Ruffian
10-11-2006, 03:17 PM
oops.. im an idiot, i didnt notice you had those stats in the subject. lol

my boyfriend, deeder, is probably an inch shorter then you and weighs about 10 pounds more... If you have some pix you should post them, it would give us a better idea of where you stand. However, you shouldnt expect to loose a whole crapload of weight at a time, especially if you dont have a high bf% in the first place, if you are then that means, mmore then likely you are loosing muscle along with the fat.

Echoing what someone said earlier, if you are on creatine you will be retaining a ****load of water. Perhaps you would be best to go off that if weightloss is your primary goal.

jed
10-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Maybe you added on some muscle? You said you looked better, so maybe you added muscle and took away fat.

miken5254
10-15-2006, 07:56 PM
How do you measure your food?
Exactly. Bender73, are you sure that you are getting 1700 cals like you said?