PDA

View Full Version : bailing on squat in a power rack?

PoutineEh
10-10-2006, 03:28 PM
if i were ever to try a PR, i wouldnt try it w/o spotters. but im just curious, if you are doing a few reps of squats in a power rack and your in the hole and realize you wont make it back up, whats the best way to bail without causing damage to yourself? is there a certain direction to tip (ie forward, backward?) or should you just keep squatting down until the safety bars catch the oly bar?

anyone have experience with this? luckily i havent had to deal with it, but again, im just curious should the day ever come.

Built
10-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Well, if you have the pins set to the right height, just sit down.

Keith
10-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Squat down until the safety bars catch it. Set the bars slightly below where the deepest point is where you squat, then when your stuck, let 'er drop.

Although, if your squatting literally ATF, and you can't go any deeper to let it go, hmm...

RedSpikeyThing
10-10-2006, 03:48 PM
I set the pins so I can just kind of drop it maybe a couple of inches. If you are squatting ATF, you can still set the pins a few inches above where you will be, then just toss it backwards and fall forwards.

drew
10-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Just toss it back. Make sure the pins are high enough to catch it. Never try to dump it forward, you'll rip your damn head off.

Goodwinm
10-10-2006, 04:19 PM
jus toss it bak dude. like drew said. simple. Never try and drop it forward. im sure many ppl have tried that....
Thyeyre not here to tell the tale..

TommyBoy
10-10-2006, 07:07 PM
I grip the bar as wide as humanly possible so the pins are always inside my grip, so if I bail I try to quickly switch my grip to a more narrow one, then toss it backwards. However, I have tossed 555 over my head and I was fine.