PDA

View Full Version : Strength gains on low carbs

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-05-2002, 05:43 PM
Ok guys, time for a discussion.

I've noticed that since using low carb days [NOT keto - 80g carbs per day over two meals, usually first two or first and then after training when it applies] more frequently with carb up days my training sessions have become more intense and more productive overall. Anyone who regularly reads my journal will know that I'm setting PB's all over the place since i began this technique just over two weeks ago. My strength hasn't just 'shot up' - it was always hovering round those ranges, but since starting this idea my poundages and reps have increased regularly.

I'm wondering if this has happend to anyone else? i great strength gains on low carbs.

I'm also noticing muscle growth despite being on a cutting schedule, which hasn't been unknown to me since i started cutting, but it's seemingly more predominat now. I really can't explain it and was hoping someone could, or at least get some suggestions into the open that could reason it.

I also don't eat carbs before i train. I usually eat chicken breast, one whole egg and some green veg although sometimes the chicken is substituted with tuna.

Can anyone put any hormone reponses to reason?

I know hGH is lypolitic, but does it aid in strength gains?

Tina suggested that the glycogen may aid in the edurance side, so do you think that this has been equating to more reps for a given weight which has lead to these strength gains?

I'm really undecided personally. Obviously it's early days since i've only been trying this style for 2.5 weeks, but every session since then has been great an i'm definately sensing a pattern emerging. This can't be a one off.

Any opinions?

Slim Schaedle
02-05-2002, 06:01 PM
I'm cutting right now on 180 grams carbs a day......I do 5 reps for everything and have been putting weight on to every lift for the past 3 weeks. Couldn't tell you the exact scientific reason why...but I now what you mean.

TreeTrunks
02-05-2002, 08:11 PM
I eat low carbs. The only meal that I eat a lot of carbs would be post workout (right now btw). Through trial and error I have been able to fine tune my diet to were I am making decent strength gains. I first was to low on carbs then I had my "preworkout" meal 1.5-2 hours before I trained this gave me ample energy to haul around some weight. Of course I also do little cardio too. I've dropped from 235 to 225 within a week staying extremely hydrated, actually I increased my water intake. I have been staying 225-227 throughout the day. Hopefully its fat I lost but I fear its muscle :( Oh well thats just my experiance on the low carb diet and strength gains.

aeckhardt
02-05-2002, 08:40 PM
Hey chicken like I've said before I've noticed the same thing.

What about this possible reasoning- because your diet is so low in carbs, your muscles aren't converting very much glycogen into lactic acid and therefore you can push your muscles farther than before.

the doc
02-05-2002, 09:31 PM
chicken, i eat essentially the same way. I wouldn't call it low carb though. It is moderate, because i am eating large amounts every 3-4 days. You get a good insulin rush here (anabolic). while your eating lower carb on a particular day, your insulin / glucagon will be more stable and less oscillating. Your body makes more efficient use of glycogen and is more efficient in glycogen synthesis in your carb ups.

Covah
02-05-2002, 09:55 PM
Are you taking any supplements? When I was cutting for the, I took some Hydroxycut, and that gave me a lot of energy, and my lifts shot up, but after I stopped using it, some of those gains were lost.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-06-2002, 05:33 AM
I take an eca just before training.

I have recently seized consumption of caffeinated coffee at all times now. I was drinking far too much.

Doc i like that explanation. I bump carbs right up for my loading days and i reckon it's helping me add muscle yes, despite being on sub-maintenance cals on my lower carb days.

Like I said, I'm not complaining. If i can drop fat and add muscle better then go me!

MonStar1023
02-06-2002, 06:07 AM
I have experienced similar gains bro. I mean I have been following NHE... low carbs with a HUGE carb rush every 3rd and 4th day, and I have been getting stronger. I think the key is just calories. I dont count calories. And I know sometimes Ill take in 2000+ with my carb-meal.

:eek::eek:

the doc
02-06-2002, 06:19 AM
i know wiz (where is wiz anyway) was suggesting a huge above maintainence carb load every so often for i believe similar benefits

the doc
02-06-2002, 06:21 AM
also, chigs about how many carbs are you taking in on down days?

I am taking ~ 60 g / day but almost exclusively from oats and green veggies

i modify peanut butter intake to get above below maintainence on down days

MonStar1023
02-06-2002, 06:30 AM
the doc-
NHE is very similar to what you are doing. I am taking in around ~50g of carbs or less and then maybe 250-350 on the carb-meal. BIG rush of carbs with some TRAC and glutamine and ALA. Really working well. I try not to eat anything for 3 hours or so before the meal so a) I am starving and b) I dont combine fats and carbs.

:cool::cool:

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-06-2002, 07:25 AM
Doc: 80g carbs a day over two meals. Both from oats.

I don't even count the carbs in green veg.

the doc
02-06-2002, 11:45 AM
ace

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-08-2002, 09:23 AM
Doc, can you be more specific about the structure of your current diet?

Are you still cutting?

Wizard
02-08-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by the doc
i know wiz (where is wiz anyway) was suggesting a huge above maintainence carb load every so often for i believe similar benefits wiz's back and he still suggests a carb -over-load every 3-5 days..

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-08-2002, 01:17 PM
what's your theory for this Wiz?

Leptin?

Metabolism?

Anabolism?

aeckhardt
02-08-2002, 02:17 PM
Plus it just tastes better.

Blood&Iron
02-08-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

Leptin?

Well in this case, a single high-carb meal isn't gonna have much of any effect. To upregulate leptin levels you need a minimum of 6-8 hours of refeeding, and even this might not do much. 24-48 hours will work infinitely better.

BTW, Guybrush Threepwood kicks ass.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-08-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Well in this case, a single high-carb meal isn't gonna have much of any effect. To upregulate leptin levels you need a minimum of 6-8 hours of refeeding, and even this might not do much. 24-48 hours will work infinitely better.

Sorry man, but where did you get the idea that there was only one high carb meal? On my 'refeeding' days i eat carbs over several meals. The past few haven't been very structured and i've just eaten carbs for...fun basically but the next ones are gonna be a bit more planned. I'm gonna shoot for 300-500g carbs over the day. Prolly over 4-5 meals which would equate to carb feeding over at least 8 hours. Prolly more like 12.

I have recently read that it is the insulin that upregulates leptin levels [or something to this effect]. Is this the case?

why would 24-48 hours be better?

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

BTW, Guybrush Threepwood kicks ass.

Hell yeah!!

Blood&Iron
02-08-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

Sorry man, but where did you get the idea that there was only one high carb meal?

For some reason I thought you were on an NHE plan. Guess I got you confused with Monstar.

On my 'refeeding' days i eat carbs over several meals. The past few haven't been very structured and i've just eaten carbs for...fun basically but the next ones are gonna be a bit more planned. I'm gonna shoot for 300-500g carbs over the day. Prolly over 4-5 meals which would equate to carb feeding over at least 8 hours. Prolly more like 12.

I have recently read that it is the insulin that upregulates leptin levels [or something to this effect]. Is this the case?

Glucose metabolism upregulates leptin, yes.

why would 24-48 hours be better?

(First, when I say 24 hours I just mean a day.)
In vivo studies have shown this to be the case. A short refeed does not upregulate leptin all that much, and it returns to its original(read: suppressed) level quite quickly. The length of your refeed should be primarily determined by how lean/how far below your bf setpoint you are. The leaner you are the longer and more frequent your refeeds should be.

El Kelio
02-08-2002, 04:53 PM
Same effect as Chicken Daddy. Increase strenght gains, why it's good to have carbs up days ? When it's fine ?