PDA

View Full Version : True powerlifting...

Canine
10-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi, I've always been more impressed with the powerlifting sport than body building. What kind of suggestions would you guys give me on improving my strength and becoming a power lifter? I've read bunch of things on body building and the whole "10 things on how to cut down..." does anybody have "10 things on how to become a power lifter" including lifting wise and diet..? I'm 5' 10" 190lbs, bench is only 315lbs, used to be at 335lbs but havent been to the gym for a while. I would just like to improve my bench and over all strenght. Thank you for the advice. I understand it is not a "simple" task to become a power lifter, but any help would be great. THank you.

RedSpikeyThing
10-11-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm very new to the game, but from everything I've read it seems pretty simple. Eat well and lift heavy. If you haven't already, look into the Westside training routine (googl it). It's what the very big, very strong powerlifters do. I started it 6 weeks ago and I've added ~50 lbs to my total. Granted I'm new, but I still think it's pretty good.

Canine
10-11-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm very new to the game, but from everything I've read it seems pretty simple. Eat well and lift heavy. If you haven't already, look into the Westside training routine (googl it). It's what the very big, very strong powerlifters do. I started it 6 weeks ago and I've added ~50 lbs to my total. Granted I'm new, but I still think it's pretty good.

westside traning...thanks!!

TommyBoy
10-11-2006, 04:58 PM
http://www.elitefts.com

http://www.westside-barbell.com

Read the articles on those sites, and you'll get every single piece of info you'll ever need to become a powerlifter.

drew
10-11-2006, 06:18 PM
What Tommy said. To elaborate, I would start with Periodization Bible Part 1 and 2 followed by The Eight Keys Parts 1-4. When you finish with that, read Squatting from Head to Toe, Squat 900 Lbs, and Bench Press 600 lbs (also on elite site). Try to apply what you learn, then re-read everything and see what you're missing.

Try to get in with a group of powerlifters (you'll find most of them are willing to teach you, as long as you're willing to work hard) in your area.

Oh yeah, eat lots of food, and lift heavy.

VikingWarlord
10-11-2006, 07:06 PM
I've been working (not real seriously because of schedule conflicts but working some) with a guy named Brent that just won APF Junior Nationals back in May in the 242 class at an actual weight of 225.

His numbers at this meet were 837 Squat, 727 dead, and 402 bench (http://worldpowerliftingcongress.com/2006%20APF%20Master%20Results.pdf).

His advice? Lift.

RedSpikeyThing
10-11-2006, 09:22 PM
His advice? Lift.

Sounds good - practice makes perfect!

EDIT: Actually, perfect practice makes perfect.

Canine
10-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks a lot!! great info, especially those links.

Westsidemonster
10-29-2006, 04:31 AM
Westside barbell is great, which is basically about changing different exercises every week, and maxing out with the squat, bench and deadlift only every 3 months or something. There are other ways to increase your strenght, basically, you need a spotter for the bench, and for the squat, deadlift training may not need a spotter.

RedSpikeyThing
10-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Westside barbell is great, which is basically about changing different exercises every week, and maxing out with the squat, bench and deadlift only every 3 months or something. There are other ways to increase your strenght, basically, you need a spotter for the bench, and for the squat, deadlift training may not need a spotter.

If you have a cage, you don't need a spot for squats. IMO bench is best if you have a spot, but if have safeties it isn't necessary.

Sexybeast777
11-05-2006, 03:19 AM
I hear a lot of things about westside barbell, maybe I should give it a shot...;) :strong:

Fuzzy
11-05-2006, 04:43 AM
Gosh, I want to compete so badly...