PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting and training with Olympic lifts

deeder
10-12-2006, 02:05 AM
Do many powerlifters also train olympic lifts as part of their routines?

Can anyone point me in the direction of some routines which incorporate both powerlifting and olympic lifting.

RickTheDestroyer
10-12-2006, 06:49 AM
To the best of my knowledge, Travis Mash has a fondness for olympic lifts. I think you can check out his log on EliteFTS.

Bob
10-12-2006, 06:56 AM
Well.. considering that your 1st PL competition is in 2 days... I don't think OL is going to help at this point... lol

However, I think you will find a lot of PL'ers doing some OL'ing... even at the Westside level of PL pros - although they mask some of their OL'ing with Kettlebell work. (http://www.westside-barbell.com/Articles%20Top%20Ten/PDF.Files/06PDF/06Sept_Using_KettleBells.pdf)

In general, any OL'ing is going to help build your explosiveness and your grip.. PowerCleans, Hang Cleans, Jump Cleans, etc.. Overhead Squats will really strengthen your core... Push Presses will build strong shoulders... Front Squats will help with your balance and Quad strength... and Romainian DLs really help with the hammies..

good luck..

Dinosaur
10-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Do many powerlifters also train olympic lifts as part of their routines?

Can anyone point me in the direction of some routines which incorporate both powerlifting and olympic lifting.

Bruce Wilhelm, who won the first two WSM, was an O-lifter/powerlifter who ran track back in his school days. While everyone else was carrying fridges and doing crazy stuff, he was just doing his O-lifts and managed to beat out a lot of strong competitors.

deeder
10-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Bearwolf - You're a smart ass. :p

Rick and Dinosaur - Thanks for the info guys! I'll do some searching with that.

Guido
10-12-2006, 03:33 PM
I know a lot of guys who mix in some Oly with their PLing, including myself. I usually keep it on a separate day from my other stuff, and I don't do too much. I have noticed my strength go up faster since I started incorporating snatches, cleans, and push presses into my routine, though.

Isaac Wilkins
10-13-2006, 05:37 AM
I'll do that and often do some cleans or snatches as a supplemental exercise on my dynamic lower body days.

Once in a great while I'll rotate split jerks or push-presses into my ME upper body workouts, but that's more to alleviate boredom than it is to really increase my bench.

Another thing I do fairly often is incorporate sub-maximal cleans and snatches (with barbells, dumbbells, or kettlebells) into my conditioning workouts or as accessory exercises for my upper back. I think they provide an element of athleticism and conditioning that is often lacking in pure powerlifting programs. Remember, it almost never hurts you to be a bit more athletic, and if all else is equal, the more athletic lifter will win.

CosmicForce
10-31-2006, 07:01 PM
This is only a suggestion.
Mon
Squat
Bench
DL
Wednesday
Clean
Jerk/Push Press
Snatch
Fri
Squat
Bench
DL

Stumprrp
11-02-2006, 10:57 AM
borris summed it up perfectly, a PL/OLY program would build one hell of an athlete, and what cosmic posted is a good idea also.

Sleepy Guy
11-02-2006, 09:04 PM
coming from a group of power lifters, I can provide some of my exp.

Oly lifting will help but it will impact your lifting for a competition. I would limit the Oly lifting before you compete.

Also training both hard can lead to knee problems. 3 out of 5 guys had to take breaks. Not to discourage but the joints need rest some times.

I train both but put one before the other when it comes to training weight.

CosmicForce
11-03-2006, 04:17 AM
Also training both hard can lead to knee problems. 3 out of 5 guys had to take breaks. Not to discourage but the joints need rest some times.

Do Power Cleans & Snatches.:idea:

deeder
11-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Thanks for all the input guys!

I haven't been worrying about putting oly lifts in my routine yet because I'm going to another competition in 3 weeks.

But after that I'm going to take a week off and put together something that will (hopefully) give me the best of both worlds.