PDA

View Full Version : Essential Fatty Acids

Anthony
03-14-2001, 06:00 PM
Basically, I'm curious about polyunsaturated fat and superpolyunsaturated fat. Can someone can explain how to determine the amount of superpolyunsaturated fat in foods? Does the amount of polyunsaturated on the label include small amounts of superpolyunsaturated and they just lump them together? I'm interested in the amount of superpolyunsaturated fat in natural peanut butter and eggs (if any).

Now, here's the descriptions of good fats:

Monounsaturated fatty acids have a single "kink" in their molecular strand. This kink makes them more fluid and more reactive than the unsaturated fats. Olive and canola oils are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids; you may have noticed that these oils get thick when you refrigerate them, but they return to fluidity at room temperature.

Polyunsaturated fatty acids have two kinks, which makes them even more reactive molecules. Safflower and corn oils are wellknown polyunsaturated oils. Both deserve careful handling to prevent rancidity.

Superpolyunsaturated fatty acids are molecules with three kinks. These fats are rare and carry the most essential fatty acid nutrients. They are found mostly in fish tissue and in the seeds of the black currant, evening primrose, and flax plants. Supersuperunsaturated oils are fluid at even very cold temperatures and react "firecracker" fast with oxygen. They must be carefully protected to preserve their nutritive qualities.

(PS - those descriptions were copied off the web, not my words).

Anthony
03-15-2001, 07:26 AM
31 views and no response? Come on!

YatesNightBlade
03-15-2001, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Anthony
31 views and no response? Come on!

LOL ..... I have some ideas, but Im not gonna comment till I'm sure ... Wouldn't want anyone to shoot me down .... if ya know what I mean ;) ...... I'll have a little look in my book. brb.

gino
03-15-2001, 09:14 AM
Polyunsaturated and superpolyunsaturated fats are both found under polyunsaturated. Flaxseed oil is a prime example - although superpolyunsaturated fats are in a relatively high concentration in the oil, nutritional facts will make no reference to them. Good luck finding a break-down. I've never seen one.

body
03-15-2001, 12:31 PM
there are books by mccance and widdowson compostion of food supplement books (not supplement as in protein powder) that list the fat breakdown in certain foods and the computer program compeat list about 20 different fatty acids found in food for about a 1000 foods. but this program is not cheap.

Anthony
03-15-2001, 01:15 PM
If there's a computer program that does this, it can be found for free!!