PDA

View Full Version : confused

homeboy7600
10-14-2006, 04:58 PM
i've been reading some contradicting articles on online about bulking so just for my records let me get this staright. If you bulk you'll add on muslce much faster and get bigger in a shorter amount of time (but take on some fat) instead of just eating causally (but any gains will be pure muscle). Is that right?

Built
10-14-2006, 05:03 PM
i've been reading some contradicting articles on online about bulking so just for my records let me get this staright. If you bulk you'll add on muslce much faster and get bigger in a shorter amount of time (but take on some fat) instead of just eating causally (but any gains will be pure muscle). Is that right?

No.

Bulking means you're eating more food than you need to maintain your size. You generally have to accept SOME fat gain to gain muscle. Eat WAY too much and you'll gain WAY too much fat.

Outside of newbie gains, 2 lbs of LBM in a month are pretty decent gains for an unassisted (ie no AAS) male.

If you gain no more than 5 lbs a month, fat gains shouldn't be too heinous.

SpecialK
10-14-2006, 05:07 PM
I don't know what exactly you mean by "eating casually". Everyone has what is called a basal metabolic rate, or BMR. To gain muscle, you must eat over this number of calories on a consistent basis while lifting heavy. How much over this number you eat will determine to some extent how much muscle you will gain, and will vary depending on your genetics, current amount of muscle, and other stuff. However, the more you eat over maintenance the more fat you are likely to put on, in addition to any muscle you gain. Beyond a certain point, eating more calories is not going to lead to additional muscle gain, and is only going to make you fatter.

Stumprrp
10-14-2006, 10:33 PM
built isnt 2 lbs of LBM a month kinda low? i gained about 10 in 2 or 3 months on my summer bulk

Built
10-14-2006, 10:37 PM
You're young, and were probably fairly new to lifting. Lots of test, lots of untapped growth potential.

WBBIRL
10-14-2006, 11:26 PM
And theres nothing average about doing front squat lockouts with 500+ pounds, or hammer curls with 95 pound dumbells. I dont think your example is a good one for the general public, your genetics seem pretty far above average player.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-15-2006, 03:58 AM
I don't know what exactly you mean by "eating casually". Everyone has what is called a basal metabolic rate, or BMR. To gain muscle, you must eat over this number of calories on a consistent basis while lifting heavy. How much over this number you eat will determine to some extent how much muscle you will gain, and will vary depending on your genetics, current amount of muscle, and other stuff. However, the more you eat over maintenance the more fat you are likely to put on, in addition to any muscle you gain. Beyond a certain point, eating more calories is not going to lead to additional muscle gain, and is only going to make you fatter.Um...no. Your BMR is how many calories you'd burn if you were to sit on your ass all day and stare at a wall. You have to take into account your activity level throughout the day. So the BMR + however much activity you're doing would equate to the total amount of calories you're burning each day. You have to eat over maintenance, not over your BMR. BMR ≠ maintenance. They are different things.

SpecialK
10-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Um...no. Your BMR is how many calories you'd burn if you were to sit on your ass all day and stare at a wall. You have to take into account your activity level throughout the day. So the BMR + however much activity you're doing would equate to the total amount of calories you're burning each day. You have to eat over maintenance, not over your BMR. BMR ≠ maintenance. They are different things.

Ok, yea, that's what I meant. Most of those BMR forumulas incorporate a scaling factor for activity level.

Built
10-15-2006, 09:06 PM
SpecialK, BMR means, by definition, no activity.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-15-2006, 09:46 PM
:withstupi

Slim Schaedle
10-16-2006, 06:30 AM
built isnt 2 lbs of LBM a month kinda low? i gained about 10 in 2 or 3 months on my summer bulk
Increase in carbs also means increase in glycogen weight and water weight.

Sometimes this weight gain is fast, and is then slow and steady depending on how much carbs were increased by.

People know the basics of this, but I also think they underestimate it way too much.

Unreal
10-16-2006, 07:53 AM
I went from 211 last friday morning, to 221 in a week. Was fully depleted to carb loaded and full of crap. Now that I'm loaded weight gain is .1-.2lbs a day according to the scale. I'm sure if I dropped the water and "crap" out of my system I would be down to 213 or so within a few days.