PDA

View Full Version : Starting bulk soon, need major help!

ryan9
10-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Man it's been awhile since i've posted here. Anyways, not too long ago I was 190 lbs at a pretty low bf %. The major problem was I was getting atleast 50% of my calories from milk shakes (Milk and fruits, not protein powder.) I was going through roughly 2-3 litres a day. I was running into some health issues because of this and as of June 06 I have barely touched milk. Heres where the problem exists, this sudden drop in calories has taken me from a pretty big 190 to just under 170 lbs in those 5 months. I play high school football and came into the season not weighing nearly as much as I should, anyways the season is almost over and I really need to bulk up during the off-season. I've got from mid-november untill the beggining of september to bulk up. I want to atleast get back to 190 and possibly 200 if I can. Im not worried about gaining fat along the way either. Can you guys help me lay out a solid diet that will help me put some of this mass back on?

Sorry for the long post guys.
Thanks in advance,
Ryan

WBBIRL
10-15-2006, 12:37 PM
There's no real cookie cutter diet out that will pack the mass on you.

To gain anything, be it fat or muscle, you have to be in a surplus of calories at the end of the day. What ratios of nutrients, genetics, and wether or not if you lift weights will determine how much of that is fat or how much of it is muscle.

To start find out how many calories your body needs to maintain its bodyweight by tracking every single peice of food you put in your mouth for two weeks. If your weight goes up, then your eating above maintance. If your weight goes down then your under maintance and well if your weight maintains ironically enough your just at maintance. Once you have this number increase it by %20 and hit the weights heavy and hard. Avoid cardio while bulking, espically if your one of those people I dispise who "cannot eat enough food".

If you are one of "those" people then your going to have to ask yourself how bad you want it, and what sacrifices you will make to get there.

Eating whole foods is the way to go, but if you cant then buy weight gainer shakes.

Keep protein high, for you probably 1.5G per pound of bodyweight. Keep proteins over %40 of your calories... the other %60 is yours to devide up between carbs and fats.

ryan9
10-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Guess it's back to fitday.com for me. It's such a pain but I guess thats going to help. I'll put a link in my sig when it's up and you guys can analyze whats wrong with my diet from there.

BFGUITAR
10-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Your eating quite a bit of carbs. And if your going to eat bread I suggest you have whole wheat, it has mre nutrients and just tastes better lol.

Your saturated fat intake is quite high. Must be the pizza :P

ryan9
10-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Haha yea the pizza was a one time thing. I'm not really a fan of whole wheat bread so I just stick to white bread. During weekdays I have a 12" sub for lunch so that will probably spike the carbs up even more.

Mr. D
10-15-2006, 02:15 PM
I would aim for 3000 cals. See what kind of progress you are making with that.

What is your bf%? Estimating 15% for you, you need at a minimum of 144.5 g of protein a day and a minimum of 72g of fat.

With that in mind, I would try these numbers out:
350g of Carbs
100g of Fat
175g of protein.

I am of the belief carbs are essential in a bulk. Good,clean carbs that is. I would really stay away from refined,process carbs. Always try to eat foods in their original state.

ryan9
10-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Not sure what my bf % is but it's low. 15% would be a good estimate. As for aiming for 3000 cals, im already taking in that amount in a day so I might have to aim for more. Although with school on weekdays I might be taking in less, check back tommorow night and we can see. 144.5 grams of protein a day for me seems too low, I'm aiming for 170 atleast. Anyways, tommorow we can check fitday see what I need to have more or less of and go from there. I've still got another 2-3 meals to eat for today and then I can see what im lacking.

Mr. D
10-15-2006, 02:41 PM
With that in mind, I would try these numbers out:
350g of Carbs
100g of Fat
175g of protein.

144.5 is just the minimum

ryan9
10-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Sorry, didn't see that. I've hit 170g as of right now and still have another meal to go. I basicly hit your numbers dead on exluding the fat% haha.

Mr. D
10-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Fat is key. as long as you hit the minimum 72g, youll be fine.