PDA

View Full Version : Why is Natty PB more expensive than regular?

hardgainer169
10-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Doesn't make sense. If its got less ingredients in it, shouldn't it cost less? But I've found it way more expensive (when I can find it).

jkirkpatrick
10-15-2006, 06:08 PM
...(when I can find it).

Limited supply = higher price as that's what the market will pay.

Flood the market with "normal" peanut butter and the price goes down due to the high supply.

WORLD
10-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Limited supply = higher price as that's what the market will pay.

Flood the market with "normal" peanut butter and the price goes down due to the high supply.

I would say thats about right. Maybe not a lot of producers are available, making it harder to find than regular peanut butter. Maybe it costs more to make it? There could be lots of reasons why.

Steele
10-16-2006, 05:42 AM
At my local supermarket, they sell 'Whole Earth Natural PB', basically really nice shizzle for £1 a jar. The other week the supermarket brought in their own inferior brand, (which tastes like rubbish) for £1, and shifted the price of Whole Earth up to £1.40. Profiteering sucks -_-

-Steele

Unreal
10-16-2006, 07:54 AM
I buy mine at costco in huge tubs. It is really cheap. Try your warehouse stores like costco and sams club.

getfit
10-16-2006, 08:12 AM
I buy mine at costco in huge tubs. It is really cheap. Try your warehouse stores like costco and sams club.
yep,when i do go, i buy 6 big tubs to last me.

TheGimp
10-16-2006, 08:49 AM
At my local supermarket, they sell 'Whole Earth Natural PB', basically really nice shizzle for 1 a jar. The other week the supermarket brought in their own inferior brand, (which tastes like rubbish) for 1, and shifted the price of Whole Earth up to 1.40. Profiteering sucks -_-

-Steele

Just an FYI, Whole Earth PB is a step in the right direction but it still contains palm oil as a stabiliser.

Jorge Sanchez
10-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Most pocessed foods are cheaper than their unprocessed counterparts.

hardgainer169
10-16-2006, 12:09 PM

Thanks for that tip. I'll definitely look next time I'm in Costco

Gabrielle
10-16-2006, 07:43 PM
I find wal-mart cheaper than Costco when it comes to chicken, steak, etc. I find Costco has great deals on bulk items that wal-mart doesn't sell, such as natty pb, etc

radioheadhead
10-17-2006, 03:19 PM
regular has an eternal shelflife due to all the preservatives.

dissipate
10-17-2006, 06:15 PM
arhghghg i get so jealous when yall post about costco and trader joes and walmart. all the healthy stuff sold here is sold in tiny small expensive packages/bottles.

hacksaw jim
10-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Will the jar say natural peanut butter? Is it at most supermarkets, wal-mart and/or sams club? Is it made by the companies most people think of when they think PB?

piff
10-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Will the jar say natural peanut butter? Is it at most supermarkets, wal-mart and/or sams club? Is it made by the companies most people think of when they think PB?

I can't speak for Wal-Mart or Sam's Club (becaue I don't shop there) but regular supermarkets will have natural peanut butter. It'll say "All Natural" or something to that effect on the jar. If you're not sure if it's natural, just check the ingrediants. It should only contain two things: peanuts and salt :D