PDA

View Full Version : Adding 30 lbs in 9 months possible? (pics)

jed
10-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Alright, footballs almost over and i've decided i'm way to small to be playing varsity next year. I'm currently 5'11 165-170. Before football I was 180 but I've lost around 10 since then wich shouldnt be that hard to gain back. The only sport I do is football, so I have anohter 9 months to add as much weight as possible. I have a picture of me right now, i dont know if it will help or not. I'm lookng to gain a good 25-30 lbs before football next season wich would get me to around 195-200. I dont want this all to be fat, I want atleast 25 to be muscle then maybe 5 to be fat, or whatever is normal. I know this is asking alot but I am a dedicated weightlifter and if I get a good diet going I know I can come close to my goal. But am I asking too much? I know theres alot of smarter people than myself on these boards and I dont want to ask to much and be disapointed when I dont reach it.
Thanks in advance :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/jediman/backlatspraed5.jpg - my poor back :P
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/jediman/armaug1906.jpg - kind of my front side, sorry for the blurryness

KingWilder
10-15-2006, 08:00 PM
it's def. possible

as long as you're eating enough and lifting hard, you should be good (might even be able to put on more than 30 lbs)

jed
10-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Awesome thanks for the info man, now I feel confident I can do it. I cant wait :)

Invain
10-15-2006, 08:20 PM
Yep, no problem. You'll be a monster for football next year!

jed
10-15-2006, 08:21 PM
Great, thanks. What is better to do? Strength 3x3 type stuff or Bodybuilding type stuff? I know BB adds size but strength training and eating could add bulk and strength also.

Tofer
10-15-2006, 08:28 PM
30 lbs in 9 months should be no problem. Check out my pic thread (see the link in my sig) or check out KingWilder's pic thread in his sig.

ryan9
10-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Haha Im the same weight as you are now and also play football, Im also looking to gain 30 lbs in the off season. Bodybuilding.com has some good off-season training articles you should check out. Good luck bro.

Stumprrp
10-15-2006, 09:31 PM
looking good! 30 lbs in 9 months is no problem what so ever, even if you did it slow (1lb week) you would still put on like 35 lbs given no plateau.

as for the reps, you play football so you need power, alot of people argue higher reps for muscle building, i call BS! i trained heavy during my bulk aside from 20 rep squats and put on 10 lbs of lean mass in 3 months, you have 9.

good luck man.

jed
10-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks all, so you suggest doing like 3x3 strength reps? I also have done the 20 rep squat program and it helped me pack on some weight to squat and body weight and i didnt even do it right.

KingWilder
10-15-2006, 09:34 PM
yeah, I would def. train heavy...more functional for you anyways since you'll need the strength for football

size will mostly come from diet anyways

EDIT: 5x5, 3x3, 10x3...there are a bunch of diff. programs that would be effective....just keep the reps low (sub 8) and the weight heavy...personally I like reps of 5 or lower for working sets

jed
10-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Alright cool. Anyone got any good strength programs? Is "westside" a strength program? Or any WBB programs? I checked them out but htey all look like isolation exersizes.

Stumprrp
10-15-2006, 09:40 PM
westside is a powerlifting program that uses "other" exersizes to help the main lifts, and they use alot of heavy assistance, i wouldnt reccomend it for an athelete but its a great program.

what i reccomend for you is something basic, 3 times a week, as HEAVY AS POSSIBLE. working around the basic bench squat and dead.

jed
10-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Do you have any suggestions for programs or are those just easy enough to make up yourself?

Stumprrp
10-15-2006, 09:45 PM
yeah dude you can just think of something yourself but ill give u an idea.

monday - bench press, few sets of heavy bench, followed by heavy tricep work 2-3 sets and heavy lat work 2-3 sets

wednesday - deadlift, few sets heavy as possible, followed by maybe some other type of deadlift assistance but if you go intense enough u will probley be drained

friday - squat, few sets heavy as possible, followed by a quad move and a ham move, such a front squats and maybe some box squats or good mornings.

i just took that from the top of my head.

jed
10-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Sweet that looks cool, but I'm a powerclean whore and I cant go without my powercleans, where do you think i cud incorperate cleans in there? Monday maybe after all the bench and tricep?

Stumprrp
10-15-2006, 09:54 PM
ah yes i love powercleans also, hmm yeah im sure u could sneek em in after bench doesnt really matter, you dont have to use that program just a suggestion! look into 5x5 programs also like bill starr.

even better you could do powerclean and press :D

jed
10-15-2006, 09:56 PM
even better you could do powerclean and press :D

true :P thanks for the program idea, ill jot it down and get some weights worked out and test it for a month and change it as needed. :D

Stumprrp
10-15-2006, 10:03 PM
cool man i wish u the best of luck

jed
10-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Oh also, one more thing, I'm accustomed to the hex bar deadlift (the bar that is like a rectangle and you stand in it that the weights come out on the sides). Is that alright to use instead of straight bar?

Bohizzle
10-15-2006, 11:32 PM
it's not quite a deadlift... still a good exercise and it's still good for building mass, but u'll get more leg development out of it then back development (i think), u won't need to pull back as much. try using a real bar and working on form with that.

Andrew

Sidior
10-15-2006, 11:36 PM
it's not quite a deadlift... still a good exercise and it's still good for building mass, but u'll get more leg development out of it then back development (i think), u won't need to pull back as much. try using a real bar and working on form with that.

Andrew

:withstupi

It's more similar to a squat than a deadlift.

500squat
10-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Hey Jed....what position do you play???

Guido
10-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Putting on 30+ lbs is easily possible in 9 months. I put on 40+ in that time about a year ago. Just gotta monitor your diet closely to ensure you are getting the right calories every day, and lift heavy and smart to ensure that most of it is solid weight, not the jiggley kind.

jed
10-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Alright thanks for the replies everyone, i really cant wait to get started. 500 I play O Tackle and D End, I know, that is VERY small for the line but at my 1A school we have a 3 year all state tackle/dend that is 215 so really its not that bad of weight. Im looking to start at the D End postion next yaer because well be short on linemen, so i really need to get it goin.

ryan9
10-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Here is the link bud.
http://bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Football

If that doesn't work look to the side of the page for a link that says For Sports click that then click football. Good luck.

jed
10-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Thank you sir.

ripped_one
10-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Ya do the 5x3's and eat all the food you can for nine months, maybe you'll end up gaining 30lbs of fat and ruin your joints in the process. =/

Gastrocnemius
10-23-2006, 01:19 AM
25lb of HARD LEAN muscle in 9 months - dreaming buddy, but you can add 30lb to the scale in 9 months easily.

SaVvY
10-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Alright, footballs almost over and i've decided i'm way to small to be playing varsity next year. I'm currently 5'11 165-170. Before football I was 180 but I've lost around 10 since then wich shouldnt be that hard to gain back. The only sport I do is football, so I have anohter 9 months to add as much weight as possible. I have a picture of me right now, i dont know if it will help or not. I'm lookng to gain a good 25-30 lbs before football next season wich would get me to around 195-200. I dont want this all to be fat, I want atleast 25 to be muscle then maybe 5 to be fat, or whatever is normal. I know this is asking alot but I am a dedicated weightlifter and if I get a good diet going I know I can come close to my goal. But am I asking too much? I know theres alot of smarter people than myself on these boards and I dont want to ask to much and be disapointed when I dont reach it.
Thanks in advance :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/jediman/backlatspraed5.jpg - my poor back :P
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/jediman/armaug1906.jpg - kind of my front side, sorry for the blurryness
on my last bulk i gained 80lbs in 9 months, without using steroids, an in the end id gained 2 or 3% body fat, from 14 to 16-17%

so what your talking about is most definately possible for me personally, but i have diplomas in all aspects of how the body works to do this, an in all honesty ive never came across anybody who trains like i do, eats like i do, sleeps like i do, an just basically ive never came across anybody like me

all i can really say to you is give it everything you've got, an if at the end its not happened, you'll know you was asking too much - but you will also know you gave it 100%

jed
10-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Sweet thanks savvy, your words add to my motivation. 80 lbs, thats amazing, congrads to you :D

Keith
10-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Achieved same weight in the same time frame last year with about a 1% increase in bf.