PDA

View Full Version : 6'4" / 256 pounds .....8 weeks in , help

hacksaw jim
10-15-2006, 10:56 PM
First post here. I need a little help.

I'm in my early 30's, 6'4" tall and 256 pounds. 8 weeks ago, I weighed 287 pounds. I have been lifting weights (dumbells in my garage) 3 days a week and doing cardio (jogging or bike) 3 days a week. No clue how many calories I'm eating, but I'm eating at least 4 or 5 protein bars a day and 3 regular meals a day (egg whites / wheat toast, huge chicken sandwiches with 6" pile of veggies and pasta/chicken w veggies)...The only bad (what I call bad!!)thing I'm really eating is some Ranch dressing on my sandwiches.

I'm not lifting real heavy stuff b/c I don't have big dumbells.. I am doing what I think is called circuit lifting (small breaks of 45 seconds between reps, doing 12, 10, 8, 6, then 10..no break and 10 more per muscle group) chest, shoulders, back, bi, tri mondays and fridays......... quads, hams, claves, abs on wednesday and then switch upper for lower the next week.....

While losing 30 pounds, I can tell my chest, shoulders , biceps and triceps are much harder than they were 8 weeks ago...

The cardio is a lot easier...I could only jog 1/4 mile when I started, now I can go 4 or 5 miles without stopping, maybe more but haven't tried and don't see the need..

I really feel like I'm doing pretty good, but I also feel like I could be a little more serious and see better results if I knew what I was doing.

Any advice on helping me get more focused on the diet and weight training? I have seen terms like BMR and BMI, but I'm not sure what it's all about..Any advice to help me up my game a little would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fuzzy
10-15-2006, 11:38 PM
Goals.

Set upo some seriously big goals. Look at my sig. I tell my self this every day, I WILL.

Doing really good man, all I can see is that soon enough your gonna need to get into a real gym with more equipment, or buy a benchpress with all the accesories, doubles as squat rack etc etc.

Id also look into some HIIT training, I know they were crucial in my pre-lifting loss of 20kg.

Check out WWB1 as well, I think you would benefit from a good well set out program. Track your claories on fitday.com You seem to be doing really well.

Good luck dude.

And importantly, make it a joy for you. Im always bursting to get into the gym.

Mr. D
10-16-2006, 07:54 AM
IMHO, i think you are being too reliant on protein bars. They are expensive, full of junk, alot of times and just not worth it.

To really lose fat, you are gonna have to start tracking your calories more closely. Setup a www.fitday.com account and log everything you eat.
For me when Im on a "cut", i eat 6 smalls a day.

Whats your bf (body fat)%?Once you know this you can figure out your LBM (lean body muscle).

Once you have your LBM, you can figure out what your minimum protein and fat requirements are. 1g/lbm of protein and 0.5g/lbm of fat.

Do you know what your maintence calories are?Lets say your maintence cals are 3800 and for assumption purpose your bf% is 20%, you can cut at, according to lyle macdonalds formula, at 2252 calories.

Using 2252 cals and your minimum requirements:
204g of PRO
102g of Fat
127g of CARB

This is with the assumption that you are 20% bodyfat. If you are higher then your protein,fat requirements go down, but your total cals will also go down.(maintence cals - bodyfat in lbs*31)

Even if you dont have access to a gym, see if there are odd heavy objects you can lift around the house.

To retain the muscle you have, I would lift heavy with low volume. Also make sure you are doing big, compound exercises like SQUATS, DEADLIFTS, BENCH PRESS.

As Fuzzy recommended, I would look into doing HIIT or interval training on non-lifting days. On lifting days if you want to do a mild 10-20 minute walk after lifting, that can be beneficial too.

Unreal
10-16-2006, 07:57 AM
Commerically made protein bars are just overhyped candy bars normally loaded with some low grade junk protein. If you want bars, make your own. Your better off with a quality shake like nitrean.

hacksaw jim
10-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the help so far. I have no idea what my body fat is but I'm sure it's outrageous.....(but not as outrageous as 8 weeks ago I would hope)..

I will set up a fit day journal and concentrate on calories ( I haven't even thought about calories over the last 8 weeks, just eliminated the junk food, cokes, etc...)

I will also look into a gym down the road so that I will have access to heavier weights than the 65 lb dumbells I have....I think it will be wise anyway b/c I am going to have to buy a treadmill (b/c of winter) and I hear they are over $1,000 for one that will hold me weight....$1,000 is over 2 years at a gym......

Thanks again.......Also, I've only been lifting 8 weeks, so I'm more focused on losing the fat .....I'm trying to "cut" wieght, but probably not like you guys b/c you all probably already have huge muscles under your bulk where I don't!!!!!!

Thanks again

Unreal
10-16-2006, 08:37 AM
I was paying $20 a month at my last gym, current one is $25. At $25 a month that is 3 years 4 months at a gym.

Just concentrate on keeping steady, sticking to the healthy foods, and get use to lifting and being more active.

Jorge Sanchez
10-16-2006, 08:48 AM
I just want to say congratulations for losing 30lbs in 8 weeks.

I know this might not correspond with your goal of losing weight as fast as possible, but you may want to slow down your weight loss a little bit. Losing weight that quickly for an extended period of time is unhealthy and unsustainable. You will also lose more muscle than you would like.

hacksaw jim
10-16-2006, 09:48 AM
I just want to say congratulations for losing 30lbs in 8 months.

It's only been 8 weeks, I'm sure that was what you meant. I'm not sure if it's been too much too quick. I sure feel a heck of a lot better now than 8 weeks ago. I do understand that I can't continue at that rate and I don't expect it to happen. The last 10 pounds have taken longer than the first 20...I'm just losing about 2 pounds a week now.

Mr. D
10-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Since you just started lifting, you could have what they call newbie gains, where you can burn fat and build muscle at the same time. To lose weight youll just have to eat under your maintence calories and create a caloric deficit.

ericg
10-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Good job so far bro. The weight will be harder to lose when you get slimmer. Your caloric needs will change as your metabolism increases with all the activity. It would be a good idea to start tracking your calories on FitDay. It is a pain in the ass at first but after you get your foods in place for a week you can just copy stuff over. It wouldnt be a bad idea to join a gym so you can do some strength training. Or, you could spend ~$100 and get a bar with more weights, add in a chinup bar and you are golden. I would even suggest that you could incorporate some HIIT cardio. Now that you have your endurance up to more than a few miles I think you would be safe to work your way into HIIT.

You are on the right track, staying on course will be the toughest part. Now just tighten things up a bit and pick away at it 1-2lbs per week.

Davidelmo
10-16-2006, 11:36 AM
BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate = the number of calories you burn without doing any exercise - i.e. the energy needed to keep everything ticking over, keep your heart beating, keep your body warm etc etc. Everyones is different.

BMI = Body Mass Index = equates your relative mass in terms of your weight divided by height. It's fairly useless for anyone with muscle mass though. You could be classed as "obese" even if you're at 10% body fat.

Instead of thinking about BMI, worry more about your body fat %age. Anything over 20% is getting pretty fat and you should aim to lower this.

Below 5 is bodybuilder territory only - full ripped six pack, veins everywhere, severely dehydrated etc. This state is not sustainable.
Around 10% is good - full six pack but is sustainable.
Around 12-15% = losing definition in abs, forming slight podge
20% is getting pretty fat - definite belly and love handles
Anything too above 20% is getting too far in my opinion.

Jorge Sanchez
10-16-2006, 12:37 PM
It's only been 8 weeks, I'm sure that was what you meant. I'm not sure if it's been too much too quick. I sure feel a heck of a lot better now than 8 weeks ago. I do understand that I can't continue at that rate and I don't expect it to happen. The last 10 pounds have taken longer than the first 20...I'm just losing about 2 pounds a week now.

Ya, sorry I meant 8 weeks. 2lbs a week is very good. If I were you I wouldn't want to lose any faster than that. As you become leaner you might even want to slow it down to 1lb a week to prevent too much muscle loss.