PDA

View Full Version : Protein

Devilpup
10-16-2006, 09:48 AM
I read online that if some one takes in more protein than recommended on a daily basis, it can damage your kidneys, etc and does not help build strength or muscle. Is this true? If so, is there a way you could counter it and stop it from hurting your kidneys, if taking in high protein does actually help build strength and muscle?
Thanks.

Anthony
10-16-2006, 09:54 AM
There's not a single scientific study that supports that idea. You're safe to eat protein.

Devilpup
10-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Okay, because I've been eating a can of tuna everyday for lunch for the past 2 weeks, I don't know if it has helped, plus whatever other protein I get during the day from the other foods I eat. Does it help build strength and muscle?

Anthony
10-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Yeah, it helps. But I get the impression you're spending too much time on the details and not thinking about the big picture. Your diet should be balanced between protein, fat, and carbohydrates. Not to mention vitamins and minerals. The easiest way to balance without spending too much time reading science text books is to follow these three rules:

1) meat (protein)
2) vegetables (carbs)
3) nuts or seeds (fat)

Eat these at every meal and good things will happen.

RedSpikeyThing
10-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Eat these at every meal and good things will happen.

Agreed. Keep it simple.

OP: If you are unsure of where to start in terms of nutrition, read this article (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=856188) by John Berardi. In fact, read as many of his articles as possible.