PDA

View Full Version : Is weightlifting worth it if I can't eat a lot of protein?

Valhallan
10-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if weightlifting is worth it even if I can't eat right (can't intake enough protein per day due to various reasons being at college and all). I know that this would severly gimp my gains, but I am wondering if I would still have substantial gains that would justify lifting. My main goal is just to get stronger and looked toned, not to do any competitive lifting or anything like that.

Thanks in advance!

DokterVet
10-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Buy a bucket of whey powder. Down a mouthful at regular intervals throughout the day.

Chris686
10-16-2006, 09:33 PM
So do you not have access to food?
It doesn't have to be just whey.

It's definitely not worthless or anything, but it will definitely degrade results.
You'd basically be working just as hard (Presumably) with less to show for it.

Valhallan
10-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Access to high protein foods is a problem. Whey protein seems like a really good idea though. I think I will invest in that.

Still though, even with whey protein I don't know if I could get the protein intake from what I was told. I was told 3 grams per kilogram of bodyweight, so that would mean I would have to consume 225g of protein/day.

Warrior10
10-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Despite being in college and all, if you are serious about lifting you'll take the initiative to FIND protein...when you go grocery shopping think protein/carbs. Tuna, bagels, canned fish, potatoes. You can buy a lot of chicken breasts straight from the warehouse if you know any...you save a lot that way.

Songsangnim
10-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Access to high protein foods is a problem. Whey protein seems like a really good idea though. I think I will invest in that.

Still though, even with whey protein I don't know if I could get the protein intake from what I was told. I was told 3 grams per kilogram of bodyweight, so that would mean I would have to consume 225g of protein/day.

No, that amount is not necessary. Shoot for 1 gram per pound. That is what most people on here advocate and what Dr. Peter Lemon (Google his name if you are interested in this subject) seems to suggest is within the guidelines for trainers. 1 gram/lb of bodyweight should meet all your needs.

1mmort4l
10-16-2006, 11:22 PM
No, that amount is not necessary. Shoot for 1 gram per pound. That is what most people on here advocate and what Dr. Peter Lemon (Google his name if you are interested in this subject) seems to suggest is within the guidelines for trainers. 1 gram/lb of bodyweight should meet all your needs.
:withstupi

I actually tried a study recently. I returned to doing weights after 10 months off, and did it with NO whey, and fairly limited protein from other foods. I also ate less than i should have been. My gains were slow, and recovery even slower, but i actually thought it would be worse. I started taking whey again, and eating correctly, and my results and gains were massive in no time at all..
I recommend that you just get some WHey. Its cheap, and easy to have.

I think you will also find, that there are people out there that would find it harder than you to consume correct foods, and protein amounts, and manage. They manage because they make it happen, they are obsessed with fitness and health, and its a way of life for them. Make it happen, and mould it around your life.

powerrack
10-16-2006, 11:28 PM
Everyone goes to school, everyone has jobs, has kids, has other obligations. Some work two jobs and go to school,etc, but they find a way to get the nutrition they need even on tight budgets sometimes you can do pretty good. It all depends how bad you want it.

beatlesfreak
10-17-2006, 01:12 AM
Get yerself a couple of Tupperware shake bottles, or if you're on a college budget, a couple of empty 16 oz. plastic Coke bottles. Put a couple scoops of dry whey powder into each bottle and throw them into your backpack. Mix with water at intervals during the day and drink liesurely.

5 minutes of preparation each morning will get you a hundred grams of good protein throughout the day.

It's a good habit to form and an easy habit to maintain. Not all that expensive either. Whey is cheap.

And it cuts down on the Snicker Bar munchies I always used to get after my 3:00 classes.

Valhallan
10-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Yea, maybe I'm just being stingy and trying to make excuses up for it. Thanks for the wake up guys!

Holto
10-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Just keep lifting. If you need extra protein you won't have a choice.

You might have to punk some people for their food. It's not like it's your fault. You lift heavy stuff.

Roddy
10-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Just keep lifting. If you need extra protein you won't have a choice.

You might have to punk some people for their food. It's not like it's your fault. You lift heavy stuff.

lol.... yeah buy some whey

jww13
10-18-2006, 02:18 AM
Lifting alone would be beneficial, but would you rather work for $5/hour or do the same work for $10/hour? It's up to you.

tigo
10-18-2006, 07:26 PM
if its time constraints, what i do (im a full time student and i work ~20 hours a week) is :

i pick 2 days (sunday and thursday) and i cook all the meat that im going to eat, weighing it and all.

then i put them in their respective tupperware boxes in the fridge and just reheat them when im suppose to eat them.

if you dont have boxes, plastic bags work as well, you'll just have to be more conservative with what you throw on the meat.

RedSpikeyThing
10-19-2006, 08:58 AM
I'm a student as well and I"m not having any problems getting protein. Are you on a meal plan, or cooking for yourself? Meak plan: be smart about your choices and get a protein supplement. Cooking for yourself: buy tuna, peanuts, milk, whole chickens, whole turkeys (they go a LONG way).

drwost
10-24-2006, 01:37 PM
you're in college. I remember my college days. I lived on canned tuna. If you have access to a supermarket, stock up on tuna. eggs are cheap and can be hardboiled or microwaved....

bill
10-25-2006, 06:44 AM
Strive to eat your best. I fail daily but still make some gains at 34. I'm sure you can do pretty well. I've actually heard some people that don't eat nearly (what you would think) having impressive gains. Don't make an excuse not to try!

shootermcgavin7
10-25-2006, 07:50 AM
I would think you'd want to eat a decent amount of protein whether or not you're lifting weights.

People who have protein-deficient diets aren't the most healthy-looking.