PDA

View Full Version : 1st day with fitday....2000 calorie deficit?

hacksaw jim
10-16-2006, 10:54 PM
I posted earlier that I'm 6'4" and 256 pounds...I've lost about 30 pounds in the past 8 weeks. I've only been lifting weights and doing cardio for those 8 weeks.....I did lift for about 6 months 5 or 6 years ago and quit...

According to fitday, I burned 4308 calories today (2412 Basal, 1519 Lifestyle and 377 from my 45 minute weight lifting session..........I only ate 2224 calories and only 195g of protein.....

Is a 2084 calorie deficit correct? Did I really burn 4308 calories? I ate a little better today than usual (less protein bars)......Also, do you guys struggle to get in a g of protein per pound of body weight every single day??? Seems like a lot of chicken down the hatch........

Losing weight right now is my main objective....wouldn't mind having my body fat down in a nice range, but not interested in looking like Arnold.....as long as I'm only losing 1.5-2 pounds per week with this high of a calorie deficit, is that OK?

I'm using this forum over a general fitness forum b/c I feel like the folks here are more dedicated and know a lot more about nutrition....

Thanks

Unreal
10-17-2006, 01:33 AM
Only use fitday to track cals you eat. The burned thing is so inaccurate it is funny.

Organichu
10-17-2006, 04:07 AM
I know precisely what you mean about struggling with protein. I'm a naturally fat guy, and I find it necessary to be very careful with my macronutrient ratios- or else I explode.

I find that the only way I can get adequate protein while deftly controlling my macros is through the ingestion of protein powder.

Good luck.

Mr. D
10-17-2006, 07:53 AM
U dont need 1 g of protein per bodyweight but per LBM. So if you are 25% and 256 lbs bf then you only need 192g of protein.

fitdays BMR is highly inaccurate.

Eszekial
10-17-2006, 08:06 AM
1 steak a day often times makes up near 1/2 your protein intake. It's really not that hard.

Reala
10-17-2006, 09:25 AM
I ate 1600 for about 3 months, I was fine... lost around 3 stone in 4/5 months.

Reala
10-17-2006, 09:28 AM
in saying that, hold in mind I am only 5'10 and I weighed 190 pounds - dropped to 160, so you won't wanna be on as few calories as me because you are bigger and taller.

ericg
10-17-2006, 10:10 AM
How much weight have you been losing recently, within the last few weeks? At your weight, calorie consumption, and activity level, I would almost say your metabolism has shut down a bit. I almost wonder if you started to eat a bit more calories if that would help boost it a bit? What do you diet experts think of this?? I know people have different caloric needs based on many different criteria but I would wager that at 256 and ~2300 cals you should be dropping weight like mad if you have an average metabolism. I know this wasnt your question so i guess i am just thinking out loud.

I am with the others about using fitday to only track your consumption. Use that and the mirror/scale/tape measure to figure out how to adjust your calories. If you drop 4lbs in a week, bump up the cals by a few hundred/day, if you gain 1lb drop a few hundred cals, etc.

hacksaw jim
10-17-2006, 10:33 AM
How much weight have you been losing recently.

I've lost 30 pounds in approx 8 weeks (286 to about 256 since August 17)...
The first 20 pounds came off very, very fast....The last 10 have come off at about 1-2 lbs per week. I think I will try and keep around 2300 calories per day for a week or two and see how it goes. The 2300 calories I ate yesterday is probably quite a bit less than what I've been eating the last 8 weeks b/c I only ate 3 EAS bars yesterday and I usually eat about 5....(220 cal per bar)..
\

I'm going to start another thread right now with a few questions about what type of bars, shakes I should be using....Thanks

ericg
10-17-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm going to start another thread right now with a few questions about what type of bars, shakes I should be using....Thanks

Do the shakes/bars keep you full and content? At 2300 cals I would think you rather eat whole foods, or dare I say "real" food: meats, veggies, fruits, nuts; in order to keep you full, and save the bars/shakes for when you are in a bind.

You dont want to make it difficult so just read the nutrient/calorie info on the package, plug it into fitday, and see how it fits in to your 2300 cals/day. Keep it as simple as you can while still losing the weight, you may have to dial things in later as you get leaner but for now just focus on cals in vs cals out.

Mr. D
10-17-2006, 12:17 PM
I wouldnt recommend making shakes and bars the staple of your diet. Shakes should be supplements to your main diet.

A protein shake cannot fully give you the full vitamin,mineral content of whole foods nor can it give you the much needed fiber which helps keep you full.

hacksaw jim
10-17-2006, 12:54 PM
I wouldnt recommend making shakes and bars the staple of your diet. Shakes should be supplements to your main diet.

A protein shake cannot fully give you the full vitamin,mineral content of whole foods nor can it give you the much needed fiber which helps keep you full.

I do eat 3 to 4 regular meals a day....The 4 or 5 bars and/or shakes are in addition to the 3 or 4 regular meals.......I just find it easy to eat the bars as snacks as opposed to the potato chips and little debbies I was eating a couple of months ago....

JasonJeanneret
10-23-2006, 08:31 PM
I have had similar problems with protein. Trying to fit all that protein in can be rough.