PDA

View Full Version : Bodyfat test

NewTriathlete
10-17-2006, 09:22 AM
I've been starting to cut weight, but I've also started lifting again seriously for the first time in over a year, and I've started taking creatine. At first, I was losing weight pretty steadily, but now it's slowed significantly. Physically, I'm noticing changes that would indicate lower bf though like more veins in my arms & hips. In order to confirm this, I want to start tracking my bf% pretty closely, but my gym wants $25 each time they check it :bash: !!!

What are my options for accurately tracking bf% at home? Can i use calipers by myself? Thanks.

TheGimp
10-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Some cheap accumeasure callipers would do the job just fine, and yes you can use them by yourself.

If you're a typical male (in terms of where on your body you tend to store fat) then I find a simple waist measurement is good for tracking changes in BF.

NewTriathlete
10-17-2006, 09:55 AM
What about the bioelectrical impedence devices? A few years back I had used them and found them to be wildly inaccurate, mostly because I have very lean legs, but have they gotten any better recently?

If not, do you have any other tips on accurately using calipers? How often do you usually check?

TheGimp
10-17-2006, 10:06 AM
The bioelectrical impedence devices are still wildly inaccurate.

I have a pair of callipers but I don't really use them. I find it hard to be consistent with the amount of pressure I apply. I use the tape measure method I mentioned above, and when I'm tracking BF I'll do it about once a week.

Roddy
10-17-2006, 11:17 PM
Just curious if there is somewhere i can stop off and pick these up?

I'm after the kind that clicks...

Vapour Trails
10-20-2006, 02:36 PM
I recently bought fat calipers and they are a bitch to use if you have never done it before. My GF and I fooled around for a 1/2 hour taking measurements and when I entered them into the calculator on exrx, I got 11% and I'm more like 18-20%. It's much harder than you think to get a clean skinfold. The most you will get is a good ballpark figure, which you could probably guess just by looking.

hoser813
10-20-2006, 03:02 PM
even bf calipers are inaccurate. The two most accurate tests would be either hydrostatic weighing or what I use at the gym I train at, which is called the bod pod which uses air displacement. BUT... these are expensive and arent widely available so calipers would be you next best bet.

NewTriathlete
10-20-2006, 03:05 PM
I don't need it to be super accurate, I just need it to be consistent to track which direction my body compisition is going. Which would be most conistent, calipers or bioelectrical impedence?

piff
10-21-2006, 10:49 PM
even bf calipers are inaccurate. The two most accurate tests would be either hydrostatic weighing or what I use at the gym I train at, which is called the bod pod which uses air displacement. BUT... these are expensive and arent widely available so calipers would be you next best bet.

Just curious, but when when you say 'expensive' how much exactly are you actually talking about?

hoser813
10-22-2006, 01:06 PM
the bod pod is around $30,000 so most gyms wont have this. We charge around $40 for an assessment.

Davidelmo
10-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Just get the calipers - get the clicky ones..

It's not that difficult - pinch an inch of fat and pull it away, then pinch it with the calipers until they click. Repeat 3 times and average the results.

Even if you don't get a perfect overall body fat %, you can still track your progress. If you pinch 14mm and 1 month later you pinch 12mm, you're going in the right direction.

jww13
10-22-2006, 10:28 PM
There's also DEXA.

Comparisons: http://www.new-fitness.com/body_fat_analyzing.html