PDA

View Full Version : Skinny 17 year old in need of weight diet help!

vithuran
10-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Ok, well i'm 17, and i'm about 6ft and weight a measly 60KG, i just want to build up a bit so i look reasonable. i'm not exaclty going for an olympic standard body! just a six pack, and some decent arms and legs.

I've been weight training about 2/3 times a week fro the past year or so, i was building up quite fast, then i just stoped getting bigger, no matter how much i try, even though i can now lift more and more.

I was told i should take artifical supplements, but i don't want to do this at such an early age. I have been told that the main problem is probably my diet. I'm asian, so my diet consists at the moment of a lot of rice, curry, meant and vegetables, and also lots of chocolate, crisps, Fast food, like the typical teen. I know this is clearly not the right diet.

I've been searching all over the internet, but i can't find the right bit of advice. I want a natural diet, which isn't difficult to follow. i read all about the oats and whole eggs at night etc. which isn't for me.

I just want a diet plan, from you guys seeing as your more experienced. a natural thing, that i can do, the best diet of 'normal' food as such.

well, i hope i've given you enough information...

Vithuran

PS i'm not even sure if i've been expecting too much from a year of training, maybe i need to wait a bit longer...but i haven't seen a size improvement for ages.

Unreal
10-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Because you aren't eating enough. To gain size simply eat more. Make sure you are getting plenty of quality protein and an adequate ammount of fat, and keep lifting. If you aren't gaining keep adding calories until you do.

Insane_DOHC
10-17-2006, 04:40 PM
I was in the same situation as you. I started lifting about a year and a half ago at 123 pounds. I'm also 6ft too. Now I'm up to about 155 and really cut. Just keep eating and try to eat healthy. Be taking protein shakes often and get on a lifting program like WWB#1 so you're not overtraining. That was my problem with gaining. I was stuck like you at about 145 until I started eating right. Just eat more and more often. Try to get more protein in your meals from meats. If you can't, just get a bucket of whey protein and have a shake in between meals, its important if you want to gain mass.

hardgainer169
10-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Read the stickies above, especially "what a bodybuilder eats" and eat that; And eat a lot of it! For you especially, since I assume you are not worried about fat gain, just eat a TON. People here will tell you, it might seem like you are eating a lot, but you're not eating nearly as much as you think. So eat around 6 meals a day, lots of meats, peanut butter, fish and whatever the hell you want. And make sure you start a quality lifting program. Do this and you WILL gain.

vithuran
10-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks a lot you guys! Insane_DOHC, you've given me a ray of hope! yeah, i thought of trying protein shakes, but i didn't know if that was the right idea or not, but apparently it is! do you guys know which one is the best? the best i can think of at the moment is 'nurishment', the one in the big tin can. Does anyone know any better and more effective ones? bearing in mind my pockets aren't bursting with money!

The thing is, i would eat pretty much everything, but i'm afraid of the health risks, because from what people have told me, although that approach is good for body building, it doesn't help in the long run becuase you'll just end up lining your arteries with fat! i don't know to what extent this is true, but i'm sure you'll understand my concern.

But yes, thanks again for your help people. i never realised forums could be such an effective way of getting information...sod Yahoo Answers!

Davidelmo
10-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Honestly, read every article and sticky thread you can find on this site.

Most people here will reccommend Nitrean as the protein supplement of choice. They sponsor this site so people do promote it, BUT it is a quality product, very good value and the owners give out great advice and back their product up with science (unlike a lot of companies which spout semi-scientific crap.)
You should definately compare prices before you go to the shops and buy something. Things are much cheaper online if you know where to look.

Dont worry about your arteries clogging up etc. In fact bodybuilding is great for your health. Keep your diet and training sensible and effective and you'll see good results - size, strength, speed and appearance.

Right now the single best thing you can do is to register yourself at www.fitday.com. Use that site to track your diet and work out how many calories etc you are eating. Once you know accurately what you're eating you can tweak your diet. Until then you're just guessing.

Good luck.

hardgainer169
10-18-2006, 04:24 PM
The thing is, i would eat pretty much everything, but i'm afraid of the health risks, because from what people have told me, although that approach is good for body building, it doesn't help in the long run becuase you'll just end up lining your arteries with fat! i don't know to what extent this is true, but i'm sure you'll understand my concern.

This sounds like a bunch of BS to me. If you are that worried about it, just stay away from trans fats and the like. The important thing is that you eat a lot of food. In your position, it really doesn't matter what kind of food it is.

As far as protein shakes go...
You should definitely supplement your diet with one if you want to gain muscla mass, as it will help you get the necessary protien you need (>1 gram per day per pound of body weight) But it WILL NOT make you gain weight alone! I believe it was Anthony, one of the moderators here, that said "if you can't make gains without supplements, then you won't make gains with supplements" or something to that effect. Go by that rule, then include a supplement to give you a boost...

But yes, thanks again for your help people. i never realised forums could be such an effective way of getting information...sod Yahoo Answers!
You have no Idea...the people here are very knowlegable and willing to share it with us skinny guys...stick around and you'll learn a lot!

As far as the type of protein...any whey protein will do, try dpsnutitrition.com they have really cheap prices. Atlarge Nutrition, WBB's sponsor, has some of the best supplements for the best value anywhere. Their Nitrean shake is hard to beat.

vithuran
10-19-2006, 07:38 AM
Thanks a lot guys! yep, i've got a fuller picture now. I've already started taking the advice i've found here, and hopefully it'll get me some results soon!

Once again, thanks a lot!