PDA

View Full Version : CKD & Soreness

therhoads
02-06-2002, 08:19 AM
Anyone else using the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet have problems with muscle soreness? Seems like I am a lot more sore than usual while on this cutting diet.

I would assume it is due to not having carbs to refill the muscle after a workout...

syntekz
02-06-2002, 09:05 AM
Yes, that most likely is the problem.

Curious if you changed your routine when you started the diet. From what I understand about the diet, you need to completely change your routine.

mr_hand
02-06-2002, 09:28 AM
How do you guys set your calorie intake while on the ckd diet? Do you use the same amount as a regular diet? And like how do you determine how low your carbs will be? And how long do you cycle for? Sorry, Im just full of questions. I wanna drop some bodyfat starting now to get a head start on summer, which is something I never do until its too late, and I dont know which diet to use. Ive never used a ckd, but Im seeing everyones progress with it, so Im getting mad curious.

syntekz
02-06-2002, 09:32 AM
Read this:

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=34

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=45

mr_hand
02-06-2002, 10:01 AM
Thanks

therhoads
02-06-2002, 10:37 AM
I changed the timing of my workouts and added a Full Body workout on Friday...

Sun: Push
Wed: Pull
Fri: Full Body

After that Friday workout I go through a carb up period for about 12 hours. I believe the purpose of the full body workout is to completely run your body out of carbs before "carbing" back up.

As far as reps and weight I haven't really changed much. I will say though that working out on this diet is a real bitch. Especially after several days of no carbs.

mr_hand
02-06-2002, 10:39 AM
How much do you weigh, and how many cals are you consuming?

therhoads
02-06-2002, 10:43 AM
As far as calories go, I try to hold it to around 2000 calories. However, according to Adkins, if your body is in a state of Ketosis, you WILL burn fat. I use the Ketosticks you can buy over the counter to test every day if I am maintaining ketosis.

In the 2 weeks I have been doing this, I have cut about 5 pounds without much noticable loss in muscle. I plan to go another 2-3 weeks this cycle and then try to slowly gain weight again. I also cycled off of creatine so I will start that again in March.

therhoads
02-06-2002, 10:54 AM
When I started working out I weighed 150 pounds and jumped up to 175 pretty quick. Unfortunately I put on some fat as well as muscle. So now I am trying to cut back to about 160, which is where I should be. If I can put on about 2 pounds lbm per month, I can be up to a lean 180 by the end of the year.

Maki Riddington
02-06-2002, 04:51 PM
My recovery on this diet sucks!
I said it in my journal and I'll say it again that based on my experience, this diet sucks for strength/ size. This being due to the increased recovery time of the bodys systems.

irish mike
02-06-2002, 04:59 PM
take your bodyweight x 12 and drop a 1000 calories.when your body has a calorie deficit there's plenty of bodyfat to be used as fuel so dont worry about the people that tell you a 1000 is too much.i havent lost too much lean mass and the lower bf% makes you look more muscular anyway.i stay under 25 grams of carbs a day.you've chosen the right diet for cutting it definately works.just take it one day at a time.good luck

Maki Riddington
02-06-2002, 05:03 PM
Definitely take it one day at a time.
Now that my weight is starting to slowly dip below 190 I'm starting to get the "bulking itch".

irish mike
02-06-2002, 08:29 PM
maki,after my ckd is over(10 more pounds)i'm gonna start cycling on the abcde diet(2 weeks bulking 2 weeks keto)i'm definately getting the urge to bulk especially during the week when my musles are flat from glycogen depletion.but i decided i've been big for a while now i'm gonna get RIPPED!!!

Maki Riddington
02-06-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by irish mike
maki,after my ckd is over(10 more pounds)i'm gonna start cycling on the abcde diet(2 weeks bulking 2 weeks keto)i'm definately getting the urge to bulk especially during the week when my musles are flat from glycogen depletion.but i decided i've been big for a while now i'm gonna get RIPPED!!!

*** I'm formulating a bulking plan as well.
I'm thinking 5 more pounds and then I'm gonna bulk again.
I've always been ripped, big is betta!!!!!!!!

Severed Ties
02-06-2002, 09:41 PM
Muscular recovery takes a kick in the nuts from carb reduction, which is why your sore. Reduce the frequency of your workouts or your gonna get overtraine.

ST

therhoads
02-07-2002, 07:29 AM
Good point, Severed... I have been considering whether to reduce workouts because of the soreness. I think that might be best for recovery.

syntekz
02-07-2002, 07:51 AM
You should revolve your training around carb-loading days.

therhoads
02-07-2002, 10:18 AM
syntekz,

I agree but it is hard to do sometimes. Especially if you are going no carb for 6 days. By the middle of the week my a$$ is dragging.