PDA

View Full Version : Calories too low?

WBBIRL
10-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Well, I have had very crappy progress cutting fat so far (or maybe great progress but I just dont realize it). Its been just over 2 weeks and I have a huge 3 pound weight loss to show for it.

The thing is I've been pretty strict on my diet, no days were much over 2000 and the ones that were still came in right around 3000. Keeping proteins and good fats high with moderate carbs and still lifting heavy.

What gives... is 1500-2000 too little for me, it has been suggested that I've caused my metabolism to slow down due to my calories being too low.

Suggestions?? Ideas?? Because cutting the fat off with a steak knife isnt looking to bad right now.

Con
10-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Id say have a little more patience. So far, you are more than a pound a week, unless you are lookin for significantly more, then let time and the diet do its work. When a diet, doesnt produce seeminly no results for 4 weeks, then its time for tweakin the details.

RedSpikeyThing
10-17-2006, 09:53 PM
3 lbs in 2 weeks is a good rate to keep up - 5 months from now, you'll be down 30 lbs. Or, to put it in a larger perspective, 78 lbs in a year! Plus you won't have lost muscle, so you'll be in much better shape too.

Organichu
10-17-2006, 10:20 PM
While metabolic slowdown is a definite reality, in terms of practical physiology, someone of your size will not encounter slowdown in two weeks off a thousand calories, let alone two thousand.

dissipate
10-18-2006, 01:02 AM
i'm agreeing with con on waiting it out... lyle has said somewhere that fat loss is delayed for some people

crazedwombat
10-18-2006, 08:28 AM
not only that, if you're heavy lifting, you'll be putting on some muscle...it can make it appear to slow things down when really its not, the waist will be smaller but it wont show on the scale.

WBBIRL
10-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Yea I guess so, I mean its not like im going to quit the diet but was just hopeing for things to be alittle faster then they are. On the other hand, if this is maximal fat loss and little if any muscle loss then I cant complain.

not only that, if you're heavy lifting, you'll be putting on some muscle...it can make it appear to slow things down when really its not, the waist will be smaller but it wont show on the scale.

I was fairly certaint you couldnt put anything on while in a caloric deficit?

RedSpikeyThing
10-18-2006, 12:42 PM
I was fairly certaint you couldnt put anything on while in a caloric deficit?

Depends how new you are and how high your bf% is.

WBBIRL
10-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Not new at all to the iron game, but my BF% is probably 30%+..

Relentless
10-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Oct 13 - 2 dozen hot wings
Oct 15 - 6 chili cheese dogs

These meals certainly blew your calories up over 3000 for the days you had them. The chicken wings are anywhere from 2000-3300 calories on their own and I would expect that 6 chili cheese dogs would be in the range of 2000-2500 calories as well.

These big injections of fat and carbs while you're eating too little the rest of the time are a recipe for disaster. You're teaching your body to starve with the low calories and then when there is a windfall of calories like these, your body will naturally try to store as much as possible as fat against the expected starvation.

My feedback to you (caveat: this is based on my own experience and opinion. Your mileage may vary):
1) Permanent weight loss doesn't happen in 2 weeks. It happens over MONTHS of lifestyle change. I was 234 on Monday and I was 230 this morning. Did I lose weight? Sure. It was mostly water though. Numbers on the scale over short periods of time don't mean a DAMN thing especially at your stage. You need to worry about month over month comparisons. Keep weighing yourself every day if you like but WORRY about how the TREND looks over the course of a month.

1a) I see you have a fitday page. Using fitday to honestly and accurately track your food consumed will be a HUGE help to you if you do it. But you have to do it every day. Religiously. The simple act of logging everything you eat will make you more conscious of your diet, and because you're ACCOUNTABLE for your diet, you become less inclined to cheat. It's inevitable.

2) Read Built's cutting information. It's not the only answer but it's a damn good start. Figure out your BMR, design a diet to match and for God's sake, get some EFAs in your diet. Fish oil will not only help you maintain satiety but there's a herd of other health benefits as well.

3) Pick a workout routine and stick with it for 3 months. From what I can see you've drifted from wanting to do something around DoggCrapp to doing a modified BGB routine. I think it matters a lot less what you're doing and a lot more than you do it CONSISTENTLY and PROGRESSIVELY.

4) Use whatever motivational tricks you need to get yourself focused. Because if you want to achieve this goal, it's not a case of sucking it up and being strict with yourself for a couple of weeks. It's a case of CHANGING how you LIVE. That's never easy.

5) The suggestions others have made are good as well. Cottage cheese, boneless skinless chicken breasts and Nitrean are all good sources of protein and the chochee is a particularly good value.

6) Are you drinking any carbonated sodas? These are absolutely brutal for you. Calories + Sugar + Caffiene = insulin spike leading to fat storage. Bad news. Personally I don't like diet cola either because aspartame is a neurotoxin. But this is an area where calories may be sneaking into your diet and sabotaging your efforts.

WBBIRL
10-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Those two days were the only days I " blew " my diet so to speak.

My maintance I would assume is less then 3000 a day right now, because at 1500-2000 I've lost about 3ish pounds from oct 2 to oct 17. So I dont really know, I dont think there too low... perhaps bump them to 2500 a day for 2 weeks?

No carbonated sodas, dont drink much soda to begin with... the odd one here or there when im out. Which since I've been on this diet was twice... once I had a can of jolt and yesterday I had a pepsi at the mall.

Not enough EFA's??? I can get some Fish oil, any other recommendations as far as that goes?

Fitday can be a bit hard to do, espically since it would seem that far too much of what I eat has no readily available nutritional information. Like last night, has chinese for dinner... it was that or taco bell so I persuaded them for chinese and kept it kinda healthy. Mushrooms, chicken and shrimp.. .nothing breaded and nothing coated in grease. But that stuff has no nutritional information.

I am fairly strict on my calories, so I dont think their the problem. I do cheat more then I should, but its going on a month before too long and I should be able to clean up my diet that last little bit.

Any more advice is appreciated.

Relentless
10-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Using fitday for take out food is the exact same as when you make it yourself. Sometimes you have to take your best guess. The IMPORTANT thing is to get in the habit of recording what you eat.

There's no fitday entry for "chinese chicken with cashews" so you have to break it down into its component parts. A serving of chinese takeout might look like:

mixed vegetables (1 cup)
boneless skinless chicken breast (4 oz)
cashews (1 oz)
vegetable oil (2tbsp)

It'll be somewhat inaccurate but it's better than nothing.

I won't get into your family issues... from what I understand you live with your folks and that can make things hard. But for what it costs to feed a family with chinese food for supper, you can stop by the grocery store and pick up more than enough food to feed the family in a healthy way.

What if you volunteered to cook for the family? Doesn't have to be fancy and it doesn't have to be difficult.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts - I pay $5 a pound for these at my market and from my experience you can get these cheaper in the US than in Canada. If you have a barbecue, cooking these is as simple as putting them on the grill for 5-6 minutes per side.

Broccoli - a cheap side dish. If you have a vegetable steamer great if not, you can cook them in 10 minutes on the stove.

Sweet potatoes - again cheap quality carbs. Wash them, slice them in half and then nuke them in the microwave till they're soft and then put butter on them if you need to.

Chicken, steamed broccoli and sweet potatoes is a common meal in my house and it takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish to prepare and serve.

The bottom line is that if you want to succeed you need to start to looking for ways to succeed instead of allowing your family, your circumstances and your life to get in the way.

WBBIRL
10-19-2006, 05:03 PM
I can and do eat alot of chicken, and sweet potatoes arnt bad either.

It's within my grasp to eat alittle better, but not as strict as if I were living on my own with a good paying job as will be the case after im out of college.

Staples of my diet have been and will be: Chicken, tuna, turkey, cottage cheese, eggs, and some nitrean when I get my job. Cleanest source of low carb high protein foods I can think off that allow you to get wrather full for the calories. Ill buy some fish oil pills also, I hope they curve my monsterous appetite.

DoUgL@S
10-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Relentless has given you very good info. A lot of people have given you very good info, yet you seem defensive. Instead of trying to incorporate the good advise I have noticed you do not follow it. That is all fine, but you have not really made any lifestyle changes to accomplish your goal.

You have been told numerous times that at close to 300 lbs you should eat more. Wil you affect your metabolism on a 1000 cal deficit for a week or two, no. How do you even know what your deficit is if you ar enot tracking correctly. At this point the easiest conclusion to make is that even though you think you are eating 2000 cals, you are not. Track EVERYTHING you eat on fitday for a week or two, then and only then, can we make any sort of educated guess as to what is going on.

Relentless
10-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Sounds like you know what to do.

Keep trying and I'm sure you'll get there. Just be patient, and more importantly be CONSISTENT.

WBBIRL
10-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Relentless has given you very good info. A lot of people have given you very good info, yet you seem defensive. Instead of trying to incorporate the good advise I have noticed you do not follow it. That is all fine, but you have not really made any lifestyle changes to accomplish your goal.

You have been told numerous times that at close to 300 lbs you should eat more. Wil you affect your metabolism on a 1000 cal deficit for a week or two, no. How do you even know what your deficit is if you ar enot tracking correctly. At this point the easiest conclusion to make is that even though you think you are eating 2000 cals, you are not. Track EVERYTHING you eat on fitday for a week or two, then and only then, can we make any sort of educated guess as to what is going on.

Fine, Ill track 100% of everything I put in my mouth... just to prove to you what I say is really true. And either way I could just lie about it and make crap up to put into fitday.

But I wont do that, I'll track for two weeks starting next monday and we shall see.

Y0yo
10-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Couldn't those 2 days be considered cheat days?

Max Thunder
10-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Read this link http://www.positivehealth.com/permit/Articles/Nutrition/byrnes82.htm and read stuff written by Jan Kwasniewski.

Then if you have time read stuff written on that page: http://thincs.org/discuss.htm , read about arctic explorer Stefansson, a few articles on Weston A. Price from the observations this guy made on a lot of primitive people enjoying extremely good health and a diet high in animal fat.

Then change your vision of "good fats", eat a ton of animal fats and get big.

ShockBoxer
10-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Couldn't those 2 days be considered cheat days?

I'm of the anecdotal opinion that a cheat day shouldn't be drastically higher than your diet or what Relentless has described will happen. I see it all the time in my friends... eat nothing through the week besides a half ass supper like two pizza pockets, drink 2 liters of pop a day, and go nuts on the weekend with full out dinners at swiss chalet (we keep the place in business it seems like sometimes) complete with desserts. They're fat... each and every one of them and I was too.

Now that my maintenance intake is 2000-2400 and a 'cheat' is 3000 my weight is rock solid. My friend, still doing the 1500 calories a day half of which are pop and pig out on the weekend thing, is up 12 pounds.

ArchAngel777
10-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Consistancy is the only way to lose weight over time... How often do you workout? For really fat people (I was there once) you really need to do cardio. Eat more and burn more until you move down to a reasionable weight.

You have to be consistant... Perhaps you should track calories weekly. Meaning, 2,000 X 7 = 14,000. Shoot for somewhere around that rate EVERY week. It might help you figure out where you are going wrong.

Some times people do the 1,500 for 5 days (7,500) and then the last two days they eat 4,000 (8,000) and their goal of 14,000 for the week was overshot by 1,500 calories. So they lose less weight or even gain weight when they didn't expect too... Losing weight needs to be consistant, therefore I highly recomend you track them on a weekly/montly basis to make sure you are averaging your goals.

Lyle wrote a REALLY good article and suggests that really fat people can be totally satisifed on 1,000 calories a day for a good majority of their weight. I agree with him being a former fatty myself. When I started to lose my first 30 pounds I was able to get by with consistantly eating 1,200 for a few months. Once I came out the obese category I became more hungry (naturally) and then upped my calories and continued with the diet. I am down 70+ pounds from a year ago.

I used to think my metabolism was slow, but I juts bit the bullet and decided to lose the weight. It works, just stay focused. One thing I have noticed with you on this site is that you like to make excuses (I don't say this to offend you). You need to be honest with yourself and says "Is eating greasy foods more important than my body composition and health?" Then whatever your true answer is, will determine your success. Make up your mind to lose the weight, quit entertaining the thoughts of cheat days (you don't need them at that weight) and don't stop until you hit your goals. Set two goals, one long term and one short term. The short term goals keep you motivated and the long term keeps you focused.

There are so many people who have lost the weight once they came to terms with their goals and lifestyle. Ever read about former fat guy rob? Go look him up on the web. He has pictures of himself weighing in at OVER 500 pounds! The guy is now pretty ripped out at a nice 220. He could have been like every other fat guy and said "Oh well, bad genes" and never lost the weight, but he did. Then you have Jeremy Likness who did the same thing... These guys all lost the weight because they finally changed their diet, their regimine altogether. Edit ** And lets not forget our very own STUMPP!!! He lost it too!

I sincerely wish you success in this weight loss.

Eszekial
10-20-2006, 02:05 PM
i'd keep the calories over 1900. I was doing 1500-1700 for about a month before my penis power said goodbye.