PDA

View Full Version : Are these foods bad?

Eric Cartman
10-18-2006, 01:54 AM
I eat these for a clean bulk or sometimes on a cut. Are they unhealthy?

Corn tortilla chips
Granola bars
Whole grain crust pizza
whole wheat pasta
yogurt containing over 27 grams of sugar
corn flautas or taquitos
fat free cheese
myoplex bars

Thanks for the help...

Cartman

jww13
10-18-2006, 02:14 AM
This is taken from John Berardi's article at http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/leaneating_2.htm

Keep in mind, this article is Lean Eatin', which focuses on fat loss as a goal.

In addition to these rules, here's the list of food choices that I give to many of my clients. These foods should make up about 80% of your daily diet and, as indicated above, you should be eating many of these foods each day, not simply picking one or two selections to eat all the time.

Protein:

* Fish: Salmon, Tuna, Cod
* Eggs
* Chicken breasts
* Cottage cheese
* Milk protien isolates
* Whey-casein blends
* Lean Red Meat

Carbohydrates:

* Vegetables
* Mixed beans
* Low-GI fruits
* Oatmeal/Oat bran
* Mixed-grain bread
* Small amounts of protein-enriched pasta

Fats:

* Flax oil
* EPA/DHA
* Olive oil
* Mixed nuts (no peanuts)
* Fish oil

and

In addition, here's the other list that I give to my clients. These are foods to avoid at all costs:

Proteins:

* Fatty meats
* Fatty dairy
* Most lunch meat
* Large amounts of milk
* Large amounts of soy

Carbohydrates:

* Regular bread
* Added sugar
* Most cereals
* Soda
* Fruit juice
* Bagels
* Fruit bars
* Candy

Fats:

* Margarine
* Vegetable oil
* Corn oil
* Heated/fried oil

Unreal
10-18-2006, 07:58 AM
If it comes in a package, and is ready to eat and not natural, it probably is junk.

Out of your list I would say the pasta is ok. The yogurt maybe, but I would try to get some with less sugar. Fat free cheese is worse then full fat cheese. Eat the fat and adjust the portion to adjust calories.

Stumprrp
10-18-2006, 08:04 AM
that guide is pretty accurate but i guess momma has to stop cooking with olive oil haha, and as unreal said its prob. processed crap.

PS - whats a low GI fruit

SpecialK
10-18-2006, 08:57 AM
that guide is pretty accurate but i guess momma has to stop cooking with olive oil haha, and as unreal said its prob. processed crap.

PS - whats a low GI fruit

A fruit that does not produce a significant insulin reponse when consumed.

Stumprrp
10-18-2006, 09:41 AM
thanks K

Unreal
10-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Cheeries, grapefruit, apples seem to be all low GI. Searching for what other fruits are rather low.

rk77
10-18-2006, 01:18 PM
whats wrong with peanuts? And lunch meats such as turkey breast from the deli (not prepackaged) would be fine to. I assume thats why you said "most lunch meats"

Holto
10-18-2006, 01:33 PM
A fruit that does not produce a significant insulin reponse when consumed.

Actaully no, that would be the insulin index (ii).

Glycemic index refers to glycemia which is the presence of sugar in the blood. As SpecialK has pointed out there is a strong correlation between sugar and insulin but it can't be assumed.

Unreal
10-18-2006, 01:53 PM
whats wrong with peanuts? And lunch meats such as turkey breast from the deli (not prepackaged) would be fine to. I assume thats why you said "most lunch meats"

Even deli lunch meat is loaded with fillers/sodium and poor quality meat. Your better off with buying a turkey/ham etc and just cutting it up. Cheaper and better. There are a few brands that don't have fillers/etc but normally your paying $10+/lb for the premium brands that might be ok.

RedSpikeyThing
10-18-2006, 02:00 PM
whats wrong with peanuts?

There's nothing wrong with peanuts and nuts. I've read that amonds are the best, but frankly peanuts cost half as much. This assuming you get plain peanuts (no beer nuts!)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-18-2006, 02:43 PM

PS - whats a low GI fruitEr...what's wrong with olive oil?

Stumprrp
10-18-2006, 04:58 PM
scares, using it to fry chicken cutlets?? lol

Holto
10-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Er...what's wrong with olive oil?

Nothing if you don't heat it above it's smoking point.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Well yes, of course. Olive oil has a lower smoking point than other oils. Not very ideal for cooking at high temps.

SpecialK
10-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Actaully no, that would be the insulin index (ii).

Glycemic index refers to glycemia which is the presence of sugar in the blood. As SpecialK has pointed out there is a strong correlation between sugar and insulin but it can't be assumed.

Under what circumstances would a food have a high GI but a low II?