PDA

View Full Version : Low calories but high protien, good enough?

HP666
10-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Right now I'm 6-3, 303lbs. I'm looking to get rid of A LOT of body fat. I don't know my percentage at the moment. I still have one meal to eat today and one serving of Nitrean before bed. My total for the day will be only 1577 calories, BUT, 298 grams protein, 79 carbs, 14 fat. Is this ok due to the amount of protein or are the calories still too low?

My meals were comprised of lean chix breast, egg whites, Veggies, Nitrean, Opticen.

Built
10-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Fats are too low, cals are probably about half where they should be.

Do you happen to know your maintenance calories?

TheGimp
10-18-2006, 04:59 PM
You need to eat about 10 times as much fat.

HP666
10-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Fats are too low, cals are probably about half where they should be.

Do you happen to know your maintenance calories?

No, this is all new to me. I guess I should try and figure that out. Isn't there a formula you are supposed to use? Sorry for sounding like such a dumbass. I read these boards constantly and I'm still a little lost.

Where should I be getting more fat from? If I'm trying to lose bodyfat, wouldn't 10X more fat be counterproductive? Obviously I'm not going to eat ice cream, should I get some meat that maybe isn't as lean? Salmon would be a good choice I'm sure, but too expensive to eat 2-3 times a day.

Built
10-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Read the "diet" link in my sig. It's all there.

Once you've programmed your foods into fitday, you can PM me if you need further assistance.

Okay?

And no, fat doesn't make you fat. I'm cutting right now, and my typical fat intake is between 60g and 120g in a day.

HP666
10-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Read the "diet" link in my sig. It's all there.

Once you've programmed your foods into fitday, you can PM me if you need further assistance.

Okay?

And no, fat doesn't make you fat. I'm cutting right now, and my typical fat intake is between 60g and 120g in a day.

Ok, so I read this..."fats >0.5g/lb lbm for endocrine support**" So for me it would be ok to eat say, between 75-150g of fat per day? Obviously this would be fat from meat, eggs, etc. Eating Ice Cream or cake would be high fat but would also be high carbs at the same time, which would be bad, as stated in that article you referred to; mixing the carbs and fat. So I should be getting my fat from protein sources, which would make it ok.(?)

Built
10-18-2006, 06:44 PM
It actually doesn't matter where you get your fats from, so long as they fit your calories and you avoid trans fats. Really.

That being said, there are BETTER choices - avocados, nuts, nut butter, olive oil ... and don't forget fish oil. Read Get Built for more on this (issue 1).

I don't know how much LBM you have, but if you've got 150 lbs LBM, then 75g fat daily would be sufficient.

It's not that it's "bad" to mix carbs and fat so much as it's uncomfortable, at least for some of us while we restrict calories. I find keeping them separate helps me manage hunger better.