PDA

View Full Version : How do you cook your chicken breasts?

hacksaw jim
10-18-2006, 06:53 PM
I just read something on olive oil being dangerous if you use it to fry with, sautee is ok, but frying is bad (maybe that it causes or releases cacionogens that could lead to cancer with large enough amounts?)

I've been cooking my chicken breasts (10lbs at a time) in olive oil...Is this ok?

Ricky Bobby
10-18-2006, 06:59 PM
I love to grill them. Give that a shot if you got grill. great handle by the way

piff
10-18-2006, 07:06 PM
I just read something on olive oil being dangerous if you use it to fry with, sautee is ok, but frying is bad (maybe that it causes or releases cacionogens that could lead to cancer with large enough amounts?)

I've been cooking my chicken breasts (10lbs at a time) in olive oil...Is this ok?

Where did you hear this? I've never heard anything like that

ddegroff
10-18-2006, 07:25 PM
OO has a smoking point, once it reaches that point it breaks down (Holto probably can comment further).

I cook mine on a forman grill.

Or in a cassarole dish in the oven.

tigo
10-18-2006, 07:27 PM
400 degrees 20 minutes

throw whatever seasoning\dressing you want on them

hacksaw jim
10-18-2006, 07:50 PM
I love to grill them. Give that a shot if you got grill. great handle by the way

Thanks,,,,Midsouth Wrestling on Saturday mornings as a kid....anyone remember that....Kumala, Junk Yard Dog, R&R Express, Ted Debiasse....don't like wrestling any longer, but I loved those guys when I was a kid...

Also,
I usually grill my chicken, but the last 2 batches have been in the pan with a coating of olive oil...I don't think I'm getting it to hot...

I heard that from a story on Cheryl Crow. She gave 10 tips to help prevent cancer (via research from her doc) and the olive oil thing was one of them...one was about drinking bottled water that had been in a car on a very hot day (plastic melting and releasing carcinogens..)..

Hell, if a can of Copenhagen a day for 15 years didn't kill me (so far) then surely I'm ok with oo and bottled water.... I did quit the Copenhagen in April and haven't had a dip since (even though it was like fighting a heroin addiction in the beginning, not that I've done heroin)

Thanks again for everyones help with fitday...I can already tell after 3 days it gives you a lot of accountability that "just eating good" doesn't do for you...

piff
10-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Hmm.. I'll have to read more about this. I sear my chicken breasts in a skillet for 3 minutes a side with some extra virgin olive oil before baking them in the oven and they'll usually start smoking... I really hope that's not releasing extra carcinogens into my body

Saltimboca
10-18-2006, 11:20 PM
olive oil that is smoking will not give you cancer. at least no more than going outside in the sun will.

different oils have different smoke points, or points where the oil starts to break apart and become bitter. olive oil has a very low smoke point, peanut oil has a very high smoke point. oil you're using to cook chicken in a stovetop pan is not going to impart enough flavor for it to really matter. I wouldn't cook chicken in oil that's been smoking for 15 minutes because goddamn that's gross. but smoking olive oil in general is fine.

the place where you don't want to use olive oil to cook is deep frying, and I seriously doubt you guys are deep frying whole chicken breasts for dinner. if you want a good medium smoke point neutral oil, canola oil is good. just look out for transfats.

HILL
10-19-2006, 01:46 AM
i like to season them and fry them in different sauces and dressings. Nice with garlic/soy sauce. I am doing this alot recently as its easy and tasty

1mmort4l
10-19-2006, 02:04 AM
I used to cook my Breasts in water in the fry pan... Poached or gross you say??? No way!
I kid you not, when you know how to cook them properly, in just water they are absolutely DELICIOUS! 2 of the best chicken breasts i ever had, i cooked in water. This includes Restaurant quality too!
It can be hard to do, but once you get it, its soo good...

hacksaw jim
10-19-2006, 06:35 AM
I used to cook my Breasts in water in the fry pan... Poached or gross you say??? No way!
I kid you not, when you know how to cook them properly, in just water they are absolutely DELICIOUS! 2 of the best chicken breasts i ever had, i cooked in water. This includes Restaurant quality too!

Maybe you could tell us how. I would love to try it....

ArchAngel777
10-19-2006, 07:03 AM
Boiling chicken is good, broiling it is good and so is baking and frying it. Just experient with what you like the best. I tend to prefer boiling pork, baking chicken, frying hamberburgers and broiling fish. I don't use any anti-stick or butter. If you are attentive, you don't need too.

1mmort4l
10-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Maybe you could tell us how. I would love to try it....

If people are interested in how to cook it with water to taste awesome, i might make a new thread about it.
It looks and tastes like it has been fried with oil, but is alot juicier. So it is not exactly "broiled" or "boiled" or even "poached"

IZich
10-19-2006, 12:25 PM
immortal, i'm TOTALLY interested. Please start a thread, bro, and help us out!

shootermcgavin7
10-19-2006, 12:54 PM
and I seriously doubt you guys are deep frying whole chicken breasts for dinner.

You aren't from the South, huh?

Stumprrp
10-19-2006, 01:28 PM
my mom cooks em in the pan most of the time with olive oil, but i make mean grilled chicken, and i like it the best this way with a side of honey mustard woot.

BigTA1982
10-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Coat with garlic, Oregano, basil, parsly and fry in olive oil. Yum

WBBIRL
10-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Put a bout an inch of water in the pan and let it heat up, drop in two defrosted chicken breasts and let them cook through. Then dump the water out and spay the pan down with fat free (and calorie free) butter flavored pam and sear the outsides whilst seasoning them. Makes a mean chicken breast.

Relentless
10-19-2006, 02:52 PM
I just lightly season them (no salt, just a mix of dried herbs and pepper and stuff) and then throw them on the grill. Despite living in Canada, I use my BBQ year-round.

Fire makes it good.

hacksaw jim
10-19-2006, 09:02 PM

Ok, he's absolutely correct. I just cooked 4 chicken breasts in a deep skillet in water. I cut the skin off of all 4 and then put the skin from one breast in the water with the breasts. I barely covered the breasts and even added several slices of onion. I never let the water get to a rolling boil, it was just barely boiling at all for just a minute or two.......... I took them off after about 25 minutes (they were thick) and they were as juicy as it get's.

Very suprised and very good. ( I was starving at the time though!)

I probably didn't even cook them the same way as 1mmort4l, but it's going to be my new way of cooking chicken until I'm tired of it!

WBBIRL
10-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Its the bomb man, im defrosting my last bag of chicken breasts tonight... looks like ill be makeing a wal-mart run to pick up a few more bags.

TommyBoy
10-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks,,,,Midsouth Wrestling on Saturday mornings as a kid....anyone remember that....Kumala, Junk Yard Dog, R&R Express, Ted Debiasse....don't like wrestling any longer, but I loved those guys when I was a kid...
Yeah bro, I remember the good ol' days of rasslin'!!! I really miss em'.

As for chicken: I always marinade (for at least 1 day in the fridge), and I always grill em on the BBQ. It's the only way to go.

1mmort4l
10-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Ok, he's absolutely correct. I just cooked 4 chicken breasts in a deep skillet in water. I cut the skin off of all 4 and then put the skin from one breast in the water with the breasts. I barely covered the breasts and even added several slices of onion. I never let the water get to a rolling boil, it was just barely boiling at all for just a minute or two.......... I took them off after about 25 minutes (they were thick) and they were as juicy as it get's.

Very suprised and very good. ( I was starving at the time though!)

I probably didn't even cook them the same way as 1mmort4l, but it's going to be my new way of cooking chicken until I'm tired of it!

^^^
I never thought of using the skin like that, but im sure that would work out fairly well, fairly different though..

I just posted the thread, let us know what you think...

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1512165#post1512165