PDA

View Full Version : How much caffeine is too much?

NewTriathlete
10-19-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm a software developer, and while most of the typical stereotypes about us aren't true, it is true that we consume MASSIVE amounts of caffeine throughout the day, dunno why. Iíll probably go through 8-9 diet Cokeís per day. Is this something to be concerned about? It looks like that is about the same amount of caffeine as some of the thermogenic supplements, and I am trying to cut fat.

The other thing Iím concerned about is the whole carbonated beverage/sugar substitute thing. Can anyone else suggest something else? Iíve tried to switch to green tea instead, but it just doesnít give me the jolt that I need at times to pump out the code.

Relentless
10-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Caffiene has its uses and lots of trainees use it. Built, for instance, pops caffiene before every workout as a performance enhancer. But she uses pills not liquids. It's definitely thermogenic and most people can consume quite a lot of caffiene before it starts giving them grief physiologically.

If you want the caffiene without the aspartame (which is a good idea... aspartame is a neurotoxin), try coffee or caffiene pills if you don't like coffee.

If you find you can't do without the fizzy beverage at your coding desk, try drinking Soda Water (the cheap stuff or Perrier or whatever).

Unreal
10-19-2006, 12:44 PM
A can of soda I beleive is around 35mg. I've taken upwards of 1.5g a day of caff. How much is too much depends on the person. Some people are very sensitive to stims. Others drink one soda and are bouncing off the walls.

Eszekial
10-19-2006, 02:10 PM
The caf in 9 sodas is fine...

Now 9 sodas... not so much a good idea.

teaturtle
10-19-2006, 05:47 PM
I have a question too.

What exactly is so bad about sugars?

RedSpikeyThing
10-20-2006, 04:44 PM
I have a question too.

What exactly is so bad about sugars?

Suagrs are empty calories. That is they contain nothing inherently good for you - no vitamins, no minerals, etc. If you're cutting, you want to get the best bang for your caloric buck. Furthermore, table sugar contains fructose which, essentially, is linked to obesity. Sorry for the vague answer about fructose, but I'm not entirely why it is bad for you.

c3p
10-20-2006, 05:41 PM
10-15 grams of caffeine will cause a heart attack....

BroGain
10-20-2006, 06:12 PM
How much is too much depends on your bodyweight.

http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine/

If you weigh 165 pounds like I do, it would take 250 cans of diet coke to put you down. You have 241 cans to go in one meal, drink up!

RedSpikeyThing
10-20-2006, 06:28 PM
u 'veh ad 2 mu chcaffeine when u'r etyping look sliket thiiiis!!!!

Stumprrp
10-21-2006, 07:58 AM
9 diet cokes isnt a problem dude, most people think sugar makes you hyper but this isnt true caffeine does! :D

TheGimp
10-21-2006, 09:47 AM
http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine/

Cool website.

Nik00117
10-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Gulp down 404.11 cans of Pepsi-Cola and you're history.

Thats not happening anytime soon.