PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed on DLing

Chubrock
10-20-2006, 03:30 PM
I've questioned ya'll before, but back then I didn't have too much time pulling Sumo. I've been pulling sumo for roughly the last 3 months and I've been stuck at 315lbs since the beginning. I can pull 385 from 3-4in below my knees, but I can't crack anything over 315 off the floor. I'm starting to think what's holding me back somewhat is my build. I'm 5'11 with longer legs and torso and shorter arms. Even when I go quite wide with my stance, I have to "sit" pretty low to get a grip on the bar. I've just started pulling with 35s on the bar instead of 45s, in hopes that this will help. I normally DL with Chucks on, but I'm thinking I'm going to try and DL barefoot now, so I can get a bit closer to the ground. Any suggestions?

Clifford Gillmore
10-21-2006, 04:49 AM
Have you done platform work?

Chubrock
10-21-2006, 07:20 AM
Just built a platform, so I'll be starting that as soon as I can get my power rack in.

chris mason
10-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Try some partial squats using the same leg stance as the sumo. Guaranteed to work.

Chubrock
10-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Partial Squats as in starting low off the pins, or what? I'm a bit confused on what you mean.

chris mason
10-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Partial Squats as in starting low off the pins, or what? I'm a bit confused on what you mean.

Partial as in only moving through the top end of the ROM. Try to make the ROM mimic that you use when performing the sumo deads.

Chris

Chubrock
10-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Chris. I'll have to try that for awhile.

Has anybody found that lifting barefoot really helps them any?

K1M
10-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Has anybody found that lifting barefoot really helps them any?

This is Mr. Mason himself :D
http://wannabebigforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22352&d=1161396560

LouPac
10-22-2006, 07:14 PM
Wow, double overhand grip with that much weight!:omg:

LouPac
10-22-2006, 07:15 PM
To the OP, I don't know if this will help or not, but this is a new article on elitefts.com: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/training_the_deadlift.htm

Alex.V
10-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Zerchers. Speed work. How low are your hips when you start? How long do you spend at the bottom of the lift getting your grip and getting set?

I pull sumo and used to stall at the bottom. Now, if I miss it I miss at lockout.

Dinosaur
10-23-2006, 12:22 AM
There's a number of different things you can do. Stand on a wooden box so you have to get deeper and pull higher. Isometric bottom pulls in the power rack. You can even try out what I learned as "crackers." Deadlift the weight until it's right at about knee height (where you would do a rack pull), then put it back down. A few sets of crackers followed by rack pulls from that height can really help you get your DL numbers up.

Chubrock
10-23-2006, 05:52 AM
Zerchers. Speed work. How low are your hips when you start? How long do you spend at the bottom of the lift getting your grip and getting set?

I pull sumo and used to stall at the bottom. Now, if I miss it I miss at lockout.

I'll have to take a close look the next time I pull, but if I'm remembering correctly from last time, my hips are probably 3-4in above breaking into parallel. If I pick them up much more than that, I have a tendency to SLDL the weight up. I don't spend much time getting my grip set, though I do take a good bit of time setting my feet.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm definitely going to have to implement these into my training over the next couple of months. How many here pull barefoot, and think it might help me?

Darracq
10-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Just sent you a long PM.Let me know if you need some help setting something up.for free lol.

RickTheDestroyer
10-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Pulling barefoot kicks ass. I already posted this in your journal, but doing your speed pulls from a deficit should really help, and you may want to consider doing them conventional as well (since they're harder to break off the floor anyway).

LouPac
10-23-2006, 06:31 PM
One more thing I'd like to add is your attitude. I went in to the gym last Friday with my previous PR of 415 and I just had the mindset that I was going to shatter my PR and pulled 450. Learn how to psyche yourself up the right way and you might be surpirsed at how much it helps.

beatlesfreak
10-23-2006, 07:44 PM
One more thing I'd like to add is your attitude. I went in to the gym last Friday with my previous PR of 415 and I just had the mindset that I was going to shatter my PR and pulled 450. Learn how to psyche yourself up the right way and you might be surpirsed at how much it helps.

What he said! ^^^^^ Attitude is everything sometimes.

Also, Rippetoe says doing Power Cleans will help you in your DL as you develop the explosive strength to get the weight in motion off the floor. Give it a try. I was stuck in my DLs for quite some time before finally working power cleans into my routine. Last week, after a month or more of practicing power cleans, I demolished my old deadlift PR and felt like I wanted even more, but I was already tired from having done squats earlier so decided to hold off until next time.

Like Rick said, pulling barefoot helps too. Reduces slightly the distance you have to pull the weight, and I find I have better grip contact with the floor.

And damn Loupac, 415 to 450 is quite a jump. Wow! Congrats. That's a lot of iron. Go Seminoles.

RedSpikeyThing
10-23-2006, 07:54 PM

Whenever I bail out, it's at the bottom. Other than platform work, what exercises help?

I do zerchers BTW and I love them.

Westsidemonster
10-29-2006, 04:16 AM
The deadlift is a tricky lift, filled with mystery and glory, this exercise is very misunderstood.

Sexybeast777
11-05-2006, 03:00 AM
The deadlift is a tricky lift, filled with mystery and glory, this exercise is very misunderstood.
This is so true!