PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

BFGUITAR
10-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Well its Saturday and I want to get drunk tonight with my friends.
My question is, what are the effects of alcohol in relation to muscle building?

Any links to legit sites would really be appretiated. As well as comments.

getfit
10-21-2006, 02:27 PM
we've covered this a gazillion times.

RedSpikeyThing
10-21-2006, 02:27 PM
It slows it down. If you want optimal results, don't drink. If you want near optimal results and have a good time, drink occasionally.

Please search, it's been done to death.

BFGUITAR
10-21-2006, 02:33 PM
I know, I did search and a bunch of other topics which didnt include alcohol came up.
This is why I jsut wanted a simple link posted lol

RedSpikeyThing
10-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Is this a good place to start? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_alcohol_on_the_body

Stray
10-21-2006, 06:46 PM
SEARCH > ADVANCED SEARCH> "Alcohol" + Titles Only = Answers.

It's not that hard.

As for the alcohol tonight...one day of weightlifting won't make you Arnold. One night of drinking won't turn you into a fat slob.

Go out and have fun with your friends..it's not like you're competing or anything.

1mmort4l
10-21-2006, 08:16 PM
:withstupi

Davidelmo
10-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Plus, when you wake up dehydrated you look quite good in the mirror, hehe

rk77
10-22-2006, 03:10 PM
get wasted dude. gettin drunk every weekend really wont have much of an effect on you. Stick to light beer and liquor as well

LivinItUp
10-22-2006, 03:23 PM
get wasted dude. gettin drunk every weekend really wont have much of an effect on you. Stick to light beer and liquor as well

I've drank a lot over the summer and up to this point, I've still seen some pretty awesome results..though I've made the choice as of last Saturday to quit drinking at least until after winter. I haven't felt so motivated just to see what kind of results I can get now that I started up on creatine again and I won't have any alcohol holding me back...I used to drink heavily, as in lots of liquor.

But yes, getting drunk is not going to kill your progress, though it isn't good for you at all apart from making you feel good at the time, lol. That's pretty much it, if you're worried, research the effect of alcohol on the body, it's pretty nasty.

Slim Schaedle
10-22-2006, 04:08 PM
gettin drunk every weekend really wont have much of an effect on you.
ha

WBBIRL
10-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Getting drunk every weekend will have a huge effect on you. Do you think that instead of getting your calories from several small well rounded meals you would be better off if they came from a ( or several in this case) 12 oz can(s)?

BFGUITAR
10-22-2006, 06:47 PM
I only drink liquor anyways. Im not into beer.
And vodka would have the lowest amount of calories in the liquor department. And I chase with some OJ.

piff
10-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Binge drinking lowers testosterone levels, dehydrates you, leaves you feeling bloated, and puts a lot of empty calories into your body. It's completely counter productive to body building

Slim Schaedle
10-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Calorie content is the least of your worries, to those who are addressing it.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-23-2006, 03:24 AM
^^

Yeah. Kind of like when someone said "if gasoline had calories..."

Fuzzy
10-23-2006, 04:41 AM
Why get drunk...

Im 14, and I only frink a beer if its good beer, Pale Ale, etc. I dont go binging. Drink because you want to drink the drink for itself. Not so you can enhance your fun.

And I could have ruined both the lives of a girl and mine whilst drunk, I wont take risk like that again.

Go out, have fun, and while your friends gettin smashed, youll be chatting up that cute blonde...

Y0yo
10-23-2006, 06:37 AM
Why get drunk...

Im 14, and I only frink a beer if its good beer, Pale Ale, etc. I dont go binging. Drink because you want to drink the drink for itself. Not so you can enhance your fun.

And I could have ruined both the lives of a girl and mine whilst drunk, I wont take risk like that again.

Go out, have fun, and while your friends gettin smashed, youll be chatting up that cute blonde...

14...you shouldn't be drinking period. In any case, beer is beer. Understand that there are consiquences to everything you consume, and if the benifits outway the consiquences, go for it.

Davidelmo
10-23-2006, 10:33 AM
14...you shouldn't be drinking period. In any case, beer is beer. Understand that there are consiquences to everything you consume, and if the benifits outway the consiquences, go for it.

He's in australia, lol.. those guys love their beer.

FWIW, I've always had alcohol from an early age and I've never done the whole binge drinking thing. There's no "mystery" or sense of defiance and it's not cool to get drunk (the reasons most teens go out and get drunk all the time). I think it's better to introduce alcohol sensibly rather than outright ban it - that just encourages people to break the rules and go further.

Nothing wrong with some alcohol, but dont expect optimal results. Weightlifting isn't your entire life and you just have to choose between drinking and/or acheiving your goals a little quicker.

RedSpikeyThing
10-23-2006, 10:44 AM
I don't understand how anyone can possibly say that drinking doesn't affect your gains at all. Have you ever gone for a period of time without drinking to see how much you gained? If not, then you have absoloutely no evidence to support that claim.

I'm not saying you can't gain if you drink, but I am saying the gains would be better of you didn't drink.

BFGUITAR
10-23-2006, 12:15 PM
At 14 you shouldnt touch alcohol really.
Hey red spikey where in Toronto are you from? Im from Thornhill.

RedSpikeyThing
10-23-2006, 12:36 PM
At 14 you shouldnt touch alcohol really.
Hey red spikey where in Toronto are you from? Im from Thornhill.

Etobicoke.

Chris686
10-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Why get drunk...

lol

If you are drinking a beer just because it tastes good, why not just buy non-alcoholic beer, hmm?

And getting drunk is not a risk. Haha...

Sorry to laugh, but at 14 you're not really old enough to have any wisdom on the subject.
But of course, I'm only 20, but I grew up with the stuff around me constantly, and even other drugs. But that's a whole other story.

Personally I don't really drink much. I got all the partying and experimenting out of me in high school.

Besides, being hungover seriously hinders motivation.

RedSpikeyThing
10-23-2006, 02:29 PM
If you are drinking a beer just because it tastes good, why not just buy non-alcoholic beer, hmm?

Because he likes beer that tastes good.

Fuzzy
10-24-2006, 02:48 AM
Haha, my brother and father have always made sure I knew what good was from bad, I personally never want to get drunk ever again, I did it, and I didnt like it. But I will occasionally have one or two beers when me and my brother make our monthly 3 pound steaks together. And it will be a good beer.

Im one step up above every teenage drinker, I like the drink, most teens cant even stand the flavour, just do it t get drunk.

It makes more sense to get rid of the taboo element, then it wont be abused, I have easy access to any alcohol I want, but I dont want to, or ever feel the need to do so. Where as when kids whove been brought up their whole lives thinking its bad are more likely to abuse the alc wen they get their hands on it.

ANd I should know... Ive been to partys were pretty little boys get drunk of half a chick-drink while Im chatting up their girl friend...

Sorry for the topic derailment.

There an argument 'one night wont hurt you' and I dont think it will, an occasional binge once every few months cant be that bad for progress.

beanercowboy
10-25-2006, 06:31 PM
as far as i can tell vodka, tequilla, wiskey, ect (sugerless hard liqour) is 68 calories an ounce, but no carbs, protien, or fat. not exactly sure how that works but from what i can tell your body can't absorb those 68 alcohal calories at all?

Slim Schaedle
10-25-2006, 08:24 PM
as far as i can tell vodka, tequilla, wiskey, ect (sugerless hard liqour) is 68 calories an ounce, but no carbs, protien, or fat. not exactly sure how that works but from what i can tell your body can't absorb those 68 alcohal calories at all?
Considering the metabolism of the 3 macronutrients you mentioned comes to a halt during the time your body is metabolism the alcohol your ingest...

ya, I would say your body is surley absorbing that alcohol.

(PS: alcohol is a macronutrient and counted as 7calories/gram)