PDA

View Full Version : rugby rugby rugby

rugby1001
10-21-2006, 06:53 PM
i am 5'8 around 160 pounds with a bodyfat of 18-22% and i am 14 years old 15 in a couple of weeks and i played rugby this year and just loved it. but i wasnt that good this year. i currently play left wing and want to become 2nd row/lock. i plan to work my ass off now too become one of the best players next year. i think i will probably around 5'10-6'1 next year and it will be my final adult height. What are some good characteristics of a good 2nd row/lock???? also i will be doing plyometrics twice a week, cardio 5 times a week, and my routine is pretty solid and my diet is alright

Stats: oct 21st 2006
Weight:160
Height:5'8
Bf:18-22%
Bench:110x6
Squat:200x6

Goals
Stats: oct21st 2007
Weight:190pounds(idk if it sounds right or not..)
Bench:200x8
Squat:320x8
Height: 6'0-6'1

any advice?????/

rugby1001
10-21-2006, 10:25 PM
no response?????? well here my routine

Monday-Back, Chest
Barbell rows(3sets), Lat pull down(4sets), Cable Row(3sets), Bench press(3sets), Incline press(3sets, Peck fly(2sets), Decline Fly(2sets),

Wednesday-Calves, Hamstrings
Standing calve(4sets), Seated calve(4sets), Straight leg deadlift(3sets, Lying leg curl(4sets)

Friday-Triceps, biceps, Shoulders, Forearms,
Cable Triceps extension(3sets), Close grip(3sets), Shoulder press(4sets), Upright row(3sets), BB curl(3sets), Hammer curl(3sets), Wrist Roller(3sets)

Saturday- Quadriceps, Glutes, Calves
Squats(4sets), Full squat(1sets), Deadlift(4sets), Leg extension(3sets), Seated calve(3sets)

Sunday-Abs and 15min. of HIIT
2sets(6-12reps)
Kneeling Crunch, Cable Crunches, Lying leg hip raise, Straight leg

Plyometrics: Wednesday and Sunday
2 sets(10reps)
Squat Jumps, Zigzag jumps(squat ¼ down), Tuck Jumps, Frog Jumps(bounding)

Fuzzy
10-21-2006, 10:50 PM
DO you have a neck? you could go propping.

Looking solid, but others will tell you what, I dlove to play rugby, but I wont risk anything on rowing, and I clean popped my shoulder last year playing...

KingJustin
10-21-2006, 11:40 PM
In general, I have a great disdain for the "hit each muscle group once/week" routines. But, some others like it so I won't hate you for that.

Still, you're really doing too many exercises every day. Try not to spend more than about an hour in the gym. Get quality sets on quality exercises and focus on compounds. I usually do 4-5 exercises/day and I still struggle to get out of the gym in an hour.

Also, I don't play rugby and I don't live in Britain, but when is rugby season? If it's not for awhile, I would really focus a lot more on the weights and try to just do maintenance cardio/plyos. When the season comes closer up the plyos and cardio and slow down on the weights. I would guess that it would also be beneficial to add as much size as you can.

Shifty
10-22-2006, 01:50 AM
you will probably be a bit to short to really become a good lock - you are looking at 6' 4" ish at your age. A much better place to go for would be flanker, you would be the perfect height/build for that - and as you were on the wing suggest you have a lot of pace.

Your routine won't do you much for rugby. You want to start doing big compound movements, cleans, deadlifts, push press etc. There is also not enough cardio in your routine. You will be wanting to do HIIT at least 5 or so times a week - especially if you are playing lock. I played centre most times but covered lock one match, they get a serious amount of work done. YOu may get strong but you will be dead in a few minutes.

I would seriosuly consider trying crossfit for a while. Maybe doing the WOD a few times a week and lifting the rest, but it does do a lot to replicate a short rugby match.

Built
10-22-2006, 01:51 AM
HIIT five times a week? Seriously?

Shifty
10-22-2006, 04:56 AM
not that much when you think about it.

most rugby training involves some form of it. I used to train 3 days a week, so 3 sessions without really trying. Then added to the start of 2 gym sessions - 5 a week.

I'm only reccomending it because so much of rugby is about the heart. No point being able to push with the force of 5 props if you can only do it once or fall on the floor the second you have to run anywhere. Of course, if BB is your primary goal then that would definitely not be advised.

rugby1001
10-22-2006, 12:17 PM
DO you have a neck? you could go propping.

Looking solid, but others will tell you what, I dlove to play rugby, but I wont risk anything on rowing, and I clean popped my shoulder last year playing...
14-15inch neck never trainned them before and i got giant traps almost never trainned them before too but they r huge the rest of my body suchs though lol think i got my traps from carry my heavy ass backpack....

rugby1001
10-22-2006, 12:19 PM
HIIT five times a week? Seriously?
no i only do hiit on sundays the rest of the hours from cardio are from P.E., muay thai, basketball, bjj,playing sports with friends.. well it probably around 6-7hours a week of cardio but i am young and still wanna have some fun i am trying to do a clean bulk too....dun worry i will keep my calories up too....

rugby1001
10-22-2006, 12:24 PM
my season just ended and i wanna be ready for next season and be starting 2nd row i will be in grd 11 next year so there will be also grd 12s in the team too no one in my team weight lifting seriously except one person so i think i can beat them but my team is hell fast i am really slow....so gonna work my ass off now....

rugby1001
10-22-2006, 12:27 PM
i am working on sports so i dun care if i burn up the calories i will eat more then but i need some size too for rugby and i am replacing the calories lost in cardio

rugby1001
10-22-2006, 12:32 PM
i dun think it will be that hard but i still gotta work my @$$ off the only thing i worried about is my core cause i need it for rugby our my exercises good enough???????

rugby1001
10-22-2006, 12:42 PM
you will probably be a bit to short to really become a good lock - you are looking at 6' 4" ish at your age. A much better place to go for would be flanker, you would be the perfect height/build for that - and as you were on the wing suggest you have a lot of pace.

Your routine won't do you much for rugby. You want to start doing big compound movements, cleans, deadlifts, push press etc. There is also not enough cardio in your routine. You will be wanting to do HIIT at least 5 or so times a week - especially if you are playing lock. I played centre most times but covered lock one match, they get a serious amount of work done. YOu may get strong but you will be dead in a few minutes.

I would seriosuly consider trying crossfit for a while. Maybe doing the WOD a few times a week and lifting the rest, but it does do a lot to replicate a short rugby match.

nope i play for a small high skool lol this our lock was only 5'9 and was skinny as hell but only was fast i owned him wreslting and the other was around 5'10 a little more solid i noe i will be taller than the 5'9 one for sure and i noe he wont grow because he grew very early..... our locks our not that tall so i wont really worry about that but i noe i will be around 5'11... also i forgot that next year my season starts in spring so i will so i will train like this till around the begining around november(yes i will change my routine around too) and do something like crossfit right before the season like for 2 or 3 months.... also this anit pro rugby lol we just play for a season for 2months.... every month since grade 8....

rugby1001
10-22-2006, 12:45 PM
i was gonna go for flanker but we have ours and our flankers are like 5'6 lol and they dun really anything they barely push and yea... but were playing rugby for fun it anit club rugby or anything

rugby1001
10-22-2006, 12:52 PM
no i am very slow lol almost the slowest person on the team i got placed on the wing because there really nothing else for me too play...

Shifty
10-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Just enjoy it then! You must be pretty small team if your lock is 5' 9", one of ours is 6' 7"!

Keep doing what you are doing and you will see some good results and it will definitely do you good to put some crossfit in. Some ideas for your basic rugby strength (by this I mean being able to run off tackles, drive etc):
OH squat
Sand bag work
All the oly lifts
Explosive deadlifts and squats, you want POWER
Start doing some sprints to work on your speed, 60m, 100m etc.
Play more rugby! Its impressive how strong some people in my team are given that they do no weights.

Our season started a month or so ago and this is the program that I am following at the moment. I play at a county level (no idea what the american equivalent may be):
Sunday: Game
Monday: Metcon in the morning, weights in afternoon
Tuesday: Metcon in morning, training afternoon, weights evening
Wednesday: Running, rest
Thursday: Weights, training afternoon
Friday: Metcon, training.
Saturday: rest before game.

Its a lot of work, but I'm definitely seeing the benefits.

rugby1001
10-22-2006, 12:54 PM
In general, I have a great disdain for the "hit each muscle group once/week" routines. But, some others like it so I won't hate you for that.

Still, you're really doing too many exercises every day. Try not to spend more than about an hour in the gym. Get quality sets on quality exercises and focus on compounds. I usually do 4-5 exercises/day and I still struggle to get out of the gym in an hour.

Also, I don't play rugby and I don't live in Britain, but when is rugby season? If it's not for awhile, I would really focus a lot more on the weights and try to just do maintenance cardio/plyos. When the season comes closer up the plyos and cardio and slow down on the weights. I would guess that it would also be beneficial to add as much size as you can.

this it was fall sept-nov and next year it is gonna be in spring because it is senior team next year

rugby1001
10-22-2006, 12:58 PM
yea so i guess i am working on strengh/size/plyometrics for now but as rugby seasons near i will focus more on it

rugby1001
10-22-2006, 12:59 PM
also our my goals achievable?????????????????(at the top)

KingJustin
10-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Then it sounds like you have some time to bulk up. I would hit the weight room 4x a week and try to put on some size and strength. You can go from OK cardio shape to great cardio shape in about 3-4 months, but weight lifting takes some time. I'd do crossfit style workouts later on, just eat and lift now and do some cardio/plyos once a week.

rugby1001
10-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Then it sounds like you have some time to bulk up. I would hit the weight room 4x a week and try to put on some size and strength. You can go from OK cardio shape to great cardio shape in about 3-4 months, but weight lifting takes some time. I'd do crossfit style workouts later on, just eat and lift now and do some cardio/plyos once a week.
exactly but i gonna go plyometrics twice a week and i bet almost no1 next year in my rugby team does cardio for the purpose of cardio like running outside or on the trendmill lol they get it from playing sports and p.e.... but we got a lot of players who are hell fast also i am still gonna do lots of cardio now

Hazerboy
10-22-2006, 11:53 PM
You want to gain mass? Eat. If you lift heavy and hard, you could only lift weights twice a week and still make gains if you eat enough.

Isaac Wilkins
10-23-2006, 08:22 AM
There's very little need at this point to be doing much metcon/interval work. You're far offseason, all that is going to do is use up calories that could be going to growth. I feel that you should do 1-2 sessions of sprinting and agility work per week just to keep the feel of movement, especially as you grow. Running and moving with 20-30 more pounds of mass on you (your goal for next season) will be very different than it is now. You need to keep the "feel" of moving your body, but it doesn't need to be a priority.

Focus on hypertrophy and limit strength at this point. As the season gets closer you can be more concerned with speed-strength, strength-endurance, and conditioning. Keep these qualities at maintenance for this period of time. Limit your plyometric stuff. It's not going to be that valuable at the moment since you're not playing. The bulk of your plyometric gains will be seen in 4-6 weeks anyway, so utilize that type of training as the season grows closer. Not doing a lot of plyos will also save a lot of wear and tear on your joints and CNS.

Training for an athlete is very different from training as a bodybuilder, and it's very different depending upon the time of the year.

scott-ireland
03-25-2007, 08:49 AM
what country u in? here in ireland anyway locks need to be at least 6'2"- 6'4" at ur age!! flanker wud be a perfect positiion fr u and 7 has to be one of the best positions on the field