PDA

View Full Version : Protein powder is upsetting the stomach..

Altephor
10-21-2006, 11:35 PM
I've been using Muscle Milk since I started lifting about 1 year and a half ago. Lately everytime I have protein after my lift it causes bloating and diarrhea. I haven't been having the protein lately because I lift between classes and getting stomach cramps during my physical chem lab is not fun at all.

My normal shake is about 8-10 oz of whole milk, two scoops muscle milk, and a large teaspoon of Skippy peanut butter.

My diet, I will admit, is horrible. I never seem to eat a lot, and I snack alot. Lately I've been trying to switch to 'healthier' snacks (quaker 'Quakes' rice snacks, goldfish) and trying too drink more water. Usually lunch consists of an 8" sub or wrap (ham, turkey, american cheese, lettuce, mayo), dinner is usually chicken fingers with fries or a salad (caf food).

Anyways I'm wondering is it the protein itself that's causing it or is it just that it's running straight through my system.

Built
10-22-2006, 01:38 AM
Gold fish aren't healthy, by the way. And I'd urge you to ditch the Skippy and get yourself some good quality natural peanut butter. I'm a big fan of Adams Crunchy, salted. Delicious.

Muscle Milk is a pricey way to get in your protein. Maybe just use regular protein powder (whey, or Nitrean), toss in some dextrose as required, maybe do what a lot of the guys here do and powder up some oatmeal to put into your shake, some olive oil and or peanut butter, milk - see how that works for you.

Altephor
10-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Well I was thinking of switching to whey protein because muscle milk is expensive, though I do love the taste of the muscle milk.

But even if I switch to a different brand I don't see how that would solve my problem with the cramps and diarrhea.

TommyBoy
10-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Gold fish aren't healthy, by the way.
What are you talking about.....dont' they have Omega-3 Fatty Acids in them?????:nod:

Dude, any protein powder can brutal on the stomach....stick to milk and eggs and chicken!

Stumprrp
10-22-2006, 12:24 PM
as tommy boy said the milk and eggs and chicken is vital! cut down on the shakes if u have to and add more glasses of milk / preboiled a few dozen eggs a week!

TommyBoy
10-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Stump, how long do you keep the boiled eggs in the fridge for. I was thinking about doing this but wasn't sure how long they kep for.

Stumprrp
10-22-2006, 09:08 PM
ive actually had osme that were in there for a week and they tasted good to me? haha i just have the momma boil them every few days, i eat 3 everyday for breakfast and 2 more for a snack occasionally, best 1.50 you can spend in the store! lol

TommyBoy
10-22-2006, 10:23 PM
i just have the momma boil them every few days
You lazy bastard.

Built
10-22-2006, 10:32 PM
No kidding!

Altephor
10-22-2006, 11:01 PM
Any good suggestions other than peanuts and hardboiled eggs for snacks?

Getting rid of all the crappy junkfood, I've tried before but always get sucked back in. So if you guys have any suggestions for healthier snacks that are good for bulking lemme know.

Built
10-22-2006, 11:11 PM
How about sandwiches? Ready to eat tins of flavoured tuna?

piff
10-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Any good suggestions other than peanuts and hardboiled eggs for snacks?

Getting rid of all the crappy junkfood, I've tried before but always get sucked back in. So if you guys have any suggestions for healthier snacks that are good for bulking lemme know.

Raw almonds :drooling:

Unreal
10-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Built? What is wrong with goldfish? You can get them for pretty cheap at the pet store and they are probably full of protein. 4.5 cents a piece is pretty cheap for protein.

Cirino83
10-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Fat free columbo yogurt is one of my favorite snacks...mixed berry is delicious :thumbup:

As for your stomach cramps after the shakes...maybe it's the milk...try drinkin milk by itself (the same amount as the shake) and see if your stomach feel weird. I dunno just a thought :confused:

Altephor
10-23-2006, 08:38 AM
No it's not the milk I drink whole milk all the time.

RedSpikeyThing
10-23-2006, 10:45 AM
You could make your own protein bars. Check the reicpe section - some of them are pretty good.

Stumprrp
10-23-2006, 10:52 AM
lazy is right fools, she makes them perfect anyways :D :D

what works also is getting alot of ground beef and cookin it up when ever.