PDA

View Full Version : How much protein?

jdeity
10-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Before everyone starts in with a gram a pound, that is what i already do mostly, but wanted to know if anyone thinks they know a better rule of thumb.

The reason I ask is because this morning, i finally realized how generic it really is, 1g/1lbs. Certainly there is a rough measurement of what a bodybuilder seeking size needs, but 1g/1lbs? I mean that is just waaaay too tidy for me to believe it's based on the most scientific stuff. The more I read it the more it starts to seem like those other dumb over-generalizations ('the body can only absorb 40g of protein at a time'). 1g/1lbs sounds great and is so simple to remember, but how on earth can it be accurate? What are the odds that the best baseline recommendation just happens to fit our units of measure (two measuring systems actually lol) so well? Sure it's convenient, but something tells me optimal is 0.7, or 1.2, or somethign that doesn't mesh as nicely. If it's less I can drink less shakes, if it's more i'd take in more. I'd rather deal with a less than ideal sounding ratio if it's better you know?

Mr. D
10-22-2006, 08:25 AM
its actualy 1 g/lbm. So if you are 200 lbs and 20% bf, you only need 160g a protein a day and of course 0.5g /lbm of fat(80g)

Unreal
10-23-2006, 08:17 AM
No one can determine their exact protein needs, so basically eat more then enough to make sure you are maximizing gains. For most 1g/lbm, is enough protein, but for other 1.5-2g/lbm has a good effect.