PDA

View Full Version : Hook vs Reverse Grip

Jinkies
10-22-2006, 09:41 PM
I can pull atleast 300 pounds more with straps then I can without them.

This might be due to the fact that 24 hourfitness has bars that shred your hands and no chaulk.

I like reverse but I cant deal with switching which hand is on top between reps, thats why I like straps; double overhand and even development, smooth pull.

Now with powerlifting season comming up in a few months I need to start training my grip; what do yall reccomend? Hook or reverse.

MixmasterNash
10-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Buy chalk?

If your gym doesn't allow it, get an ecoball (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=265293&parent_category_rn=40000054).

You should do some grip work, though.

Jinkies
10-22-2006, 09:46 PM
I got myself in a pickle.

My grip might be fine with chaulk but I know without it theres no way I can hold as much as I need to get a decent back workout. I only use straps on deadlift and even after that they are dead; my hands are my weakest points and I work them so much.

I have 2 days off prior to my backday and even then they hold me back. My hands will rip open and bleed but they don't seem to get stronger and I've tried everything. I know for a fact im not overtraining, I even changed my split to two days on 1 off to ensure I was given them enough rest.

Hazerboy
10-22-2006, 11:25 PM
it takes a much longer time to build good grip strength vs. a bench, deadlift, squat, etc. Give it time. Do some thick bar work and look into www.gripboard.com .

1mmort4l
10-23-2006, 01:59 AM
I got myself in a pickle.

My grip might be fine with chaulk but I know without it theres no way I can hold as much as I need to get a decent back workout. I only use straps on deadlift and even after that they are dead; my hands are my weakest points and I work them so much.

I have 2 days off prior to my backday and even then they hold me back. My hands will rip open and bleed but they don't seem to get stronger and I've tried everything. I know for a fact im not overtraining, I even changed my split to two days on 1 off to ensure I was given them enough rest.

Im no help here, but i'm just happy about my own personal stance on not using straps or gloves to begin with...
BL dude, hope you sort it out..

ShockBoxer
10-23-2006, 01:15 PM
You'll change your mind on the straps when you realize that your precious compound king of back developing movement, the deadlift, is doing NOTHING for your mass or hypotrophic goals because your back doesn't even get stressed.

That's what happened with me, anyways. Without straps I can rep 225 something like 3 times. With straps I can do it 15. Which works my back more? How about 315 x 3? Isn't that better for strength than 225 x 3? Now, I do go raw as long as I can for singles, and can do a raw single for a good 85-90% 1RM... but any kind of heavy rep work I have to strap up. Otherwise it's a glorified grip training session.

SaVvY
10-23-2006, 02:02 PM
300lbs more......sorry i just cant respond to this

ShockBoxer
10-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Yeah, it's like 50 for me on a 1rm max. 300 seems extreme... are you doing 300 raw 600 strapped or something?

betastas
10-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Best advice I can give you is to start deadlifting without straps. I have gotten up to 415 @155lbs never using straps, just gradual progression of the deadlift. My major problem right now is locking out, not grip work at all. You need to allow your hands and grip to become accustomed to the demand of higher weight.

Two other things that have really helped my grip have been 10-12 rep pullups and barbell rows. I have never trained grip directly, but I have messed around with farmer walks and liked them quite a bit. I might try these in the future if I find that I have trouble with my grip. It seems to me that your grip will adjust to the demand that you put on it, the same way the rest of your body has.

As a side note, I am pretty certain you are of a higher level of lifting than I am (as your 300 lbs more with straps would certainly put you well above where I am lifting). Perhaps you can post what you lift so we can get an idea?

As for your hands, try using a moisturizer every night - it will soften your hands and calluses but still leave them tough. This helps me in the winter when my hands begin to tear (learned it from a powerlifter at my last gym).

Davidelmo
10-23-2006, 02:15 PM
My grip completely sucks too. 300lbs was falling out of my hands tonight. Wasn't even hard to lift but when I was holding it at the top of the lift my fingers slowly started opening...

I constantly have to re-grip too which is starting to interfere with my workouts. I think I'm going to have to get straps too. I'm not going to be entering competitions or anything and I train for asthetics only (so im not hugely bothered about grip strength).. are there any negative points about getting straps that I should know about?

Guido
10-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Even doing mixed-grip you can't grip the bar at your max weight? If you are concerend about even back development, just save the mixed-grip for only your heaviest sets and use double-overhand for the rest of your deads and accessory work like bentover rows, etc. I found that heavy shrugs built my grip a lot. Also, farmer walks and holds as well as plate pinches. Try those things and in a few weeks and months your grip should improve dramatically.

Davidelmo
10-24-2006, 01:44 AM
Even doing mixed-grip you can't grip the bar at your max weight? If you are concerend about even back development, just save the mixed-grip for only your heaviest sets and use double-overhand for the rest of your deads and accessory work like bentover rows, etc. I found that heavy shrugs built my grip a lot. Also, farmer walks and holds as well as plate pinches. Try those things and in a few weeks and months your grip should improve dramatically.

I can but I really hate mixed grip. As you said, I'd prefer to double-overhand everything. I use it for bent over rows but I can't hold the weight long enough to do several reps for shrugs or to max out at deadlifts.

I'll try doing farmers walks and plate pinches and see what happens.

Fuzzy
10-24-2006, 04:09 AM
Would rowing have imrpoved my strength grip, I have pretty strong hands, but I only relaised then that rowing could have contributed.

Jinkies
10-24-2006, 07:27 AM
Maybe its due to the fact I have small hands, either way they need some work.

My back day would be nothing without my straps, Ive been giving yates rows a try lately and theres no can I can double overhand 3 plates for reps.

Any machine work I do without straps, pull downs etc and I don't have a problem; Im just worried about deadlift. I've never seen any powerlifters use the hook grip and didn't think it was as well suited but I'm trying to give it a try

WBBIRL
10-24-2006, 11:59 AM
If you have small hands it may be impossible for you to correctly execute the hook grip. If you use a mixed grip that should be fine, just switch hands between sets if you feel one hand is getting alot more work then the other. I've got small hands too bro, static hangs and static holds help alot. Once you get to the point where you can hang off of a chinup bar for over a min with no troubles then go ahead and strap a 45 pound plate to yourself. Static holds are easy enough, load up like 315 and hold it for 30 seconds, if thats easy then put 405 on and try to hold it for 30 seconds and ect until you get to where you can no longer hold the weight for 30 seconds. Work at it until you can then move on.

Sensei
10-24-2006, 12:55 PM
300lbs more......sorry i just cant respond to this
LOL! I actually agree with you on this one SaVvy!!

Beast
10-24-2006, 03:07 PM
LOL! I actually agree with you on this one SaVvy!!
Me too... that sucks!

Are you using a mixed grip, Jinks?

Jinkies
10-24-2006, 03:10 PM
I do double overhand strapped.

I was real ocd about even development didn't want to risk anything. In competition I do mixed, i've never seen anyone at a pl meet pull anything conciderable overhand