PDA

View Full Version : Which one of these power racks?

KY23
10-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Guys and gals,

About to buy a power rack. I'm currently using a Power-tec system and want to move to freeweights to maximize my workouts.

I've narrowed it down to one of two racks from Newyorkbarbells.com.

This 3" x #" x 1/8" steel tube rack without a top:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/pro92560.html

Or this power rack with a top.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html

The ceiling in my basement is 85" in height so either one will work. I have a chin up bar seperate so its not needed in the power rack. I contacted newyourbarbells.com and they are giving me a deal on shipping on the first rack since shipping is not included. Seems to be a better built unit but it is wider. Is the width going to be a problem?

Looking for your opinions on pros and cons of each one and if the 3x3 power rack is a good choice. Right now thats what I'm thinking of getting.

Thanks,

Eric

~
Semper Fi

Darracq
10-23-2006, 09:04 AM
The 2nd one no dought. YOu cant do floor press with the first one, but either way the 2nd one is the way to go. If you ever sell it you will get more for it also.

Sleepy Guy
10-23-2006, 08:52 PM
To add on the second one is enclosed so it should be stronger. A closed box vs. an open one..

KY23
10-24-2006, 10:58 AM
The only issue I have with the second one is if I ever wanted to put the rack on top of a lifting platform it wouldn't work in my basement. With only 1" to spare. I also liked the 3x3 construction. I went to a friend that is a personal trainer and owns a gym...he does have the first rack and it is solid. I'm 5'8" and I could still do overhead lifts without a problem although I've never done over head lifts in a power rack before, I've always lifted outside the rack for those. I basically want this rack for bench work and squat work.

Bob
10-24-2006, 11:13 AM
The only issue I have with the second one is if I ever wanted to put the rack on top of a lifting platform it wouldn't work in my basement. With only 1" to spare. I also liked the 3x3 construction. I went to a friend that is a personal trainer and owns a gym...he does have the first rack and it is solid. I'm 5'8" and I could still do overhead lifts without a problem although I've never done over head lifts in a power rack before, I've always lifted outside the rack for those. I basically want this rack for bench work and squat work.
Sounds like you have already made up your mind..
But the 2nd/closed one also has a pullup bar.. where you can do pullups, chins, leg raises, moon boots, etc... you even throw a rope or chain around it to perform cable and rope exercies..
This feature, plus the ability to do floor presses would sell me on #2..

KY23
10-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Do most of you have your rack sitting on top of your lifting platform or is your platform in front of your rack?

KY23
10-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Well...I went and looked at the first power rack that a local personal trainer has in his gym. It is plenty high for me to do overhead work and it is still short enough to put on the platform. That is the one I'm going to order.

THanks for everyone's opinions.

Darracq
10-26-2006, 12:19 PM
built the platform around the rack, in other words the rack will fit inside it.

bigbadwolfe
10-26-2006, 01:58 PM
As far as floor presses go you can always build a box that will raise youup enoughto clear the racks for floor presses. Our power rack at my home gym does not have low enuf holes for floor presses buto n day messing around I looked atthe box people use for some leg work and stuff. It was 4 foot by 3 foot by 1 foot high. It was just high enuf abd just wide enuf for me to lay down and have room for floor presses so that is ometihng ot keep in mind also.

Wolfy!!!!

bigbadwolfe
10-26-2006, 02:01 PM
geesh think I could of chopped that up anymore, Dee Da Dee!! Huked oun Fhonx works fur me!!!