PDA

View Full Version : Finding fitday is not specific enough.

Altephor
10-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Trying to put my day's food into fitday, but it classifies things either too much or not enough. For instance, for dinner I had chicken fingers, but here at school they are quite large. Basically they take a large piece of chicken (breast? half a breast? not really sure) and fry it. It's sure of like a giant chicken nugget almost. Now fitday does have fried chicken obviously, but I put in 4 for servings and it came back as over 1000 cal, which seems like too much.

Likewise, for lunch today I had ham, turkey, american cheese, lettuce, and mayo on a plain wrap; grilled. Fitday obviously doesn't cater to the customizable deli here.. should I put everything in individually? How much of each is a serving?

At this point I'm not even sure I should try to bother with fitday and just eat everything I see.

HP666
10-23-2006, 07:16 PM
What you need to do is put in everything as a custom food. Get the stats yourself and put it in. I do it even with foods that they have listed already. If something doesn't match what they have exactly, I take it and add it myself as a custom food. This may be difficult with something like a large chicken finger that the school fried. My attitude is that if I can't atleast find out the nutritional info, I shouldn't be eating it.

As far as serving size goes, you need to figure it out and then figure out how many servings your actually eating.

RedSpikeyThing
10-23-2006, 07:57 PM
1000 calories for fried chicken isn't crazy if you ate a lot and it was deep fried.

As for the sandwhich, yup put everything in one part at a time. I believe they have a serving size of "1 slice" for deli meats, so problem solved there.

Estimate and be resonable. Some foods are WAY more calorie dense than you may have though (rice and corn come to mind), so be prepared for a surprise.

reloaded
10-23-2006, 09:36 PM
I've found myself from time to time getting out the tape measure and measuring food length (like a square fish filet for example) so I can calculate cubic inches. Don't be afraid to think outside of the box to get the measurements.

Altephor
10-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Well I had the serving size wrong for the chicken, forgot to change it. I just sorta guestimated for the size in cubic inches.

Got somewhere around 3000 cal today. Guess I better get working. About 50% fat, 25% protein, 25% carb.

The % of fat seems like a LOT.

RedSpikeyThing
10-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Well I had the serving size wrong for the chicken, forgot to change it. I just sorta guestimated for the size in cubic inches.

Got somewhere around 3000 cal today. Guess I better get working. About 50% fat, 25% protein, 25% carb.

The % of fat seems like a LOT.

Percent doesn't matter as long as you are hitting your minimum fat and protein requirements.