PDA

View Full Version : Strength Training During the Season

Hazerboy
10-24-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm looking for a good 2-3 day a week program that I can use during wrestling season to maintain/increase my strength. I'm thinking of doing 4 basic movements a week, something like this:

Big Pulling movement: Deadlifts, SLDLs, power cleans, etc. I'll rotate one out every few weeks.

Big pressing movement: Squats, front squats, maybe mix in OH squats or lunges.

Smaller pulling movement: Different types of weighted pull-ups/chinups, various rows..

Smaller pushing movement: Bench press, overhead press, blah.

I'll mix in grip training. I think I'll do Each exercise 1-2 times a week with low reps (under 5) and maybe singles/triples for some of the bigger movements. I'll try and work in each one of these before practice every day, I'll have about 30 mintues each day. How does this sound? I didn't lift during the season at all last year and I could feel it with a 50-75 lb drop in all my lifts by the end of the season...

Dinosaur
10-24-2006, 10:08 PM
When you're really in-season, the most you want to do is try to maintain. That'll be tough enough.

Hazerboy
10-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Ok, what would be bets way to maintain through the season?

droman
10-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Sounds alright just make sure yu get alot of rest and eat good. Maybe take some protein. I would just try to maintain during the season but i know some people who try to get stronger just don't over do it.

CrazyK
10-28-2006, 01:53 AM
What a lot of coaches don't realize is that you're lifting weights in practice and games. You need very-very little weightroom work outside of that.

Fuzzy
10-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Im currently in rowing season, and I have to eat a tonne and sleep 9+ a night to hav enough rest and energy to achieve my goal time of 22 minutes for a 6k row, and my lifting goals, my sig...

Just eat alot, and sleep alot, and train, I dont see why you shoudlent, as a rower, there are the major races we have to win, but the races in between are just heavy training for us. SO e hit the weights hard during season as well, and ge tour body the fuel and rest it needs to be able to take both loads.

Maki Riddington
11-08-2006, 06:06 PM
You want to stay injury free. A lot of times athletes get injured towards the end of the season. If you work on a maintaining what you've built up you'll find your chances of injury will decrease.

2 or 3 days is enough. It all depends on how many practices/comps you have in a week.

Full body is good.

Variations of Deadlifts movements:
Romanian
Stiff legged
One legged
Rack pulls

Variations of Chest Presses (seated and upright)
Cables
Bench
Dumbbells

Squatting Movements (bilateral and unilateral)
Front squat
Back squat
Zerchers
Lunges
Step Ups

Variations of Chin Ups and Horizontal Pulling
Bent Rows
Cable Rows
One Arm Dumbbell Rows

Then for arms you can play around with:
Dips
Close Grip Bench Press
Variations of curls

Lift around 90% of your 1RM and use sets of 4-8 and reps ranging between 3-5.

Hope this gives you a bit more of an idea of what you can do.