PDA

View Full Version : Cottage Cheese - Last snack at night?

mistergalarza
10-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Alright experts, i'm trying to eliminate the usage of too many protein shakes.. Out of 6 meals I have 2 as protein shakes and 1 protein bar. I want my last nighttime "6th meal" to be Cottage Cheese instead of having my shake. I've never tried this before.

Here's my question(s). What do you guys pair it up with? What type of brands do you go for? I hear the taste is horrible, is it really that bad?

What are your recommendations, guys?

(I did pull up searches on cottage cheese but didn't find anything that went much into detail.)

Cirino83
10-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Cottage cheese doesn't taste bad if you don't mind eating what smells like a putrid fart. I personally prefer peanut butter over cottage cheese. But if you want to eat a cheese, I'd suggest Ricotta (tastes better and doesn't smell)

mistergalarza
10-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Doing it for the protein, without having to cook another chicken breast at 11pm.

Unreal
10-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Taste great to me and has no smell or anything. Try different brands and varietys. I like the kroger lowfat or nonfat. Some brands are gross, some are great. Try full fat, low fat, and nonfat. You can mix in nuts, fruit, peanut butter, splenda, or anything else with it for a nice snack. A handful of nuts and some splenda with a cup of CC is great.

Mr. D
10-25-2006, 09:42 AM
I go with Kroger nonfat as well. Its ALWAYS on sale, like in my location, a 16 oz can be had for $1 this week. I eat cottage cheese with 2 TBSP of natty PB. a great P+F meal. I add sweetner too, either stevia or splenda and it tastes even greater. Sometimes I add a tbsp or so of yogurt to it and it gives a great texture.

CC is greatness and it doesnt smell.

getfit
10-25-2006, 09:54 AM
cottage cheese,berries and a handful of nuts.

getfit
10-25-2006, 09:56 AM
I go with Kroger nonfat as well. Its ALWAYS on sale, like in my location, a 16 oz can be had for $1 this week. I eat cottage cheese with 2 TBSP of natty PB. a great P+F meal. I add sweetner too, either stevia or splenda and it tastes even greater. Sometimes I add a tbsp or so of yogurt to it and it gives a great texture.

CC is greatness and it doesnt smell.
yep,I add yogurt as well,Vanilla or strawberry

mistergalarza
10-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Summary: Kroger Nonfat + Handful of nuts. Yogurt recommendations? (last meal remember)

Thanks by the way :)

getfit
10-25-2006, 10:01 AM
I buy goats yogurt or organic.

Mr. D
10-25-2006, 10:20 AM
i use plain homemade fat free.

Cirino83
10-25-2006, 10:35 AM
If you want a DELICIOUS tasting yogurt, try Columbo's fat free yogurt Mixed berry is the way to go.

mistergalarza
10-25-2006, 10:45 AM
what are the nutrition facts on columbos? if you know them off the top of your head I mean.

Cirino83
10-25-2006, 11:12 AM
what are the nutrition facts on columbos? if you know them off the top of your head I mean.

calories - 120

fat - 0 g

carbs - 21g

protein - 7 g

I was actually eating one as I read your post ;)

nzk
10-25-2006, 04:30 PM
what if u absolutely cant stand cottage cheese or tuna, what are some alternatives for before bed meals?

getfit
10-25-2006, 04:39 PM
what if u absolutely cant stand cottage cheese or tuna, what are some alternatives for before bed meals?
protein shake

reloaded
10-25-2006, 04:53 PM
I hate the taste and smell of regular cottage cheese. However, if you get some vanilla extract or flavoring and pour a teaspoon or two in the bowl and mix, the vanilla flavor will completely cancel out the smell and the taste. I swear by it.

mistergalarza
10-25-2006, 05:08 PM
the taste is ok.. tastes like some cream cheese mix with rice. What can I have at night with this without the sugar or overloaded carbs? how do you guys eat it with natty pb? just like that, straight up? or mixed?

Stumprrp
10-25-2006, 05:10 PM
i agree the taste of fat free at least isnt the best, iono what to spice it up with, and im also to lazy since its right b4 bed i so man up and eat it, lol, but try it with some cinnamon and splenda maybe?

Bamm
10-25-2006, 05:12 PM
am i the only one who actually enjoys eating cottage cheese?

i like the stuff :)

getfit
10-25-2006, 05:58 PM

I think most of us do enjoy CC.As i mentioned above i like it with berries and i mix a handful of nuts or my homemade trail mix in the batch.

reloaded
10-25-2006, 06:33 PM
At this moment I am eating cottage cheese imported from Kuwait or Qatar I think (deployed). It actually has no taste and is actually better tasting than in the states.

superhombre2k
10-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Cottage cheese doesn't taste bad if you don't mind eating what smells like a putrid fart. I personally prefer peanut butter over cottage cheese. But if you want to eat a cheese, I'd suggest Ricotta (tastes better and doesn't smell)

Cottage cheese is all casein protein, the slow digesting protein from milk that you want to have before bed to sustain a positive nitrogen balance. Ricotta is made from whey and digests very quickly in comparison. Suck it up and eat the cottage cheese! :) You can get a variety from Friendship brand with small curd and honestly it's just like eating ricotta.

mickyjune26
10-25-2006, 07:17 PM
protein shake
please correct me if I'm mistaken, but wouldn't the body digest whey protein within 4 hours, leaving us without protein for 4 hours of the night?

Wouldn't 4 - 5 oz of chicken breast or tuna last throughout the night?

Thanks for the advice with the berries and nuts!

Unreal
10-25-2006, 09:02 PM
Nitrean shake would solve that.
A chicken breast, can of tuna, steak, or any type of flesh takes awhile to digest. I had a 12oz sirloin before bed last night. Good prebed meal.

Mr. D
10-25-2006, 09:53 PM
i actually look forward to my cottage cheese snacks esp at the end of the night. I get a great feeling knowing the day is over and I get my last lil treat. I just mix the PB in with the CC and add sweetner.

CC is versatile, if you want to mix it up, try just plain CC and tobasco sauce.

deeder
10-26-2006, 02:58 AM
You guys have no idea how much I love cottage cheese! I've been eating two cups of the stuff every night before bed!

Who needs nuts, yogurt or berries... I load mine up with pepper and I'm good to go! :)

Holto
10-26-2006, 02:37 PM

I've learned to like cc over the years and I think I could eat it, but I simply enjoy drinking it way too much.

Add it to a blender with juice, and just about anything else like jam or frozen yougurt. It can be heavenly if you do it right.

ddegroff
10-26-2006, 07:21 PM

Yogurt, milk, pb, nuts, protein shake...

Whatever just eat something.

beatlesfreak
10-26-2006, 07:25 PM

I'm sitting here with a single serving size cup of Breakstone's cottage cheese right now as I type. Can't get enough of the stuff. 11 easy and tasty grams of complete protein.

And it's delicious.

Unreal
10-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Just did a shake with 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup yogurt, 1 cup milk, 1 cup mixed berries, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1 scoop of whey. Turned out amazing. When in doubt, just throw everything in a blender, mix and eat. CC blends great into shakes.

Holto
10-26-2006, 09:04 PM
CC blends great into shakes.

Yep.

And if you really hate it (like I did) it's easy to mask the taste.

teaturtle
10-26-2006, 09:06 PM
what about the texture? doesnt the cc make the texture of the shake different

Holto
10-26-2006, 09:21 PM
Think milkshake.

Trust me. CC made me think of vomiting and I kept trying to find a way to use it after reading about it so much.

You will never know it's there.

teaturtle
10-26-2006, 09:31 PM
awesome, ill try it this weekend.

i know that ive tried tofu and (@*)(*#@#J !! it tasted so bad i couldnt even finish all of it..

Mr. D
10-26-2006, 09:47 PM
even though im a veg, im unsure on tofu. taste wise i dont mind it at all, and do enjoy it. tofu is like meat, it just absorbs the flavor of whatever sauce you cook it with. try it at a thai place and youll never turn back.

shoot i have gotten redneck coworkers down here in texas to eat it at the thai buffet.

getfit
10-27-2006, 02:50 AM
awesome, ill try it this weekend.

i know that ive tried tofu and (@*)(*#@#J !! it tasted so bad i couldnt even finish all of it..
these are some amazing tofu receipes.Enjoy!

http://www.emilyskinner.com/food/tofu.html