PDA

View Full Version : Supplements and blood/urine tests

Manowar
10-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Next month my mother wants to do some checkup of my blood and urine, and she asked me to lay off the supplements in advance so the test results would be "normal" my question is how many days in advance should i stop taking protein/creatine to reach the levels of the average joe who has defficient levels of these?

Thanks

RedSpikeyThing
10-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Protein = food. Would you not eat a chicken breast before doing a blood test?

I believe creatine stays for about 2-3 weeks. I don't understand why you would ever need to cover it up, though.

Manowar
10-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Protein = food. Would you not eat a chicken breast before doing a blood test?

I believe creatine stays for about 2-3 weeks. I don't understand why you would ever need to cover it up, though.

The thing is apparently high protein levels could mean there is something wrong with the kidneys, im not sure if creatine is the same... and no usually for a bloodtest it is recommended to be fasting which is total bs...

I hate these stupid tests god dammit

Found this on the web

Your doctor may use a strip of special paper dipped into a little cup of your urine to test for protein. The color of the "dipstick" indicates the presence or absence of protein. A more sensitive test for proteinuria involves laboratory measurement and calculation of the protein-to-creatinine ratio. A high protein-to-creatinine ratio in urine (greater than 30 milligrams of albumin per 1 gram of creatinine) shows that kidneys are leaking protein that should be kept in the blood.

And yes that protenuira test is what im having... its a pain you have to collect urine for 24 hours straight.

RedSpikeyThing
10-25-2006, 12:17 PM
I think as long as you follow the directions for the test (ie fasting) and inform your doctor about your eating habits, you should be ok.

Creatine is broken down to creatinine, which is eliminated through the kidneys. High creatinine serum levels are thus an indication of renal failure.

Excess creatine is not tested for, but excess creatinine is. Creatinine is a byproduct of the breakdown of creatine. If you have normal functioning kidneys, regardless of creatine use, you should not get a strange blood test.

Again, inform your doctor of any supplements you use and you should be fine.

Davidelmo
10-25-2006, 04:09 PM
As for proteinuria - generally you shouldn't find much protein in the urine. I dont think the amount of protein you eat will have much effect.