PDA

View Full Version : What if I can't eat a meal every 3 hours?

superhombre2k
10-25-2006, 11:53 AM
I was able to keep a consistent 3 hour interval before I started track here at college, but now I can't. Between track practices and my class schedule, I'm stuck eating at odd intervals now. Here's my day:

7:30am - banana
8am-8:45am - lifting
9am - meal
11am-12pm - class
12:30pm - meal
3pm - track practice
4:30pm - meal
6pm-8:45pm - class
9pm - meal
11pm - cottage cheese and nuts

I feel like I'm going too long between meals around practice and lab. I won't get anything to eat for 4-5 hour during those times. Is this ok? Should I eat a smaller meal and then have a banana or something small to snack on, a bigger meal at the times I'm eating, or what? I want to lose body fat and maintain muscle mass, at least right now.

Manowar
10-25-2006, 11:56 AM
I have similar problems.... : s

Anthony
10-25-2006, 12:01 PM
I'd eat more than just a banana before lifting.

And why not bring a snack to class ... beef jerky, cucumber, and some cashews ... perfect.

And don't worry about each meal being spaced by exactly 3 hours. If you're in the 2-4 hour range, you're fine.

superhombre2k
10-25-2006, 12:21 PM
I don't know if I can sacrifice any more sleep in order to eat more before lifting. I have a hard enough time getting up at 7:30am with the idiots on my floor being loud all damn night. I get 6 hours of sleep if I'm lucky. I have to take naps every day after lunch.

Anthony
10-25-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't know if I can sacrifice any more sleep in order to eat more before lifting. I have a hard enough time getting up at 7:30am with the idiots on my floor being loud all damn night. I get 6 hours of sleep if I'm lucky. I have to take naps every day after lunch.

Prepare your breakfast the night before.

Cold omlette (eggs, veggies) + handful of almonds. Sounds worse than it is.

Or you could have a shake + handful of spinach + handful of almonds.

Tons of ideas, don't use time as an excuse. :p

superhombre2k
10-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Wouldn't it be stupid to eat all that right before lifting?

Anthony
10-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Why? You have 30 minutes between breakfast and training ....

superhombre2k
10-25-2006, 12:38 PM
I've always read and followed the 60-90 minute rule. I don't know about you but I don't want high intra-abdominal pressures spewing my breakfast back up out of me when I'm squatting heh.

Anthony
10-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Have you ever puked up the banana?

2-3 eggs, some veggies, and a handful of nuts isn't going to be heavy in your stomach. But it's a lot more balanced than a banana.

Your choice though. If you're fine with a banana, go for it.

Unreal
10-25-2006, 01:00 PM
I eat a bowl of oats and a protein shake 15-30 minutes before lifting. I have never spewed it up. I have started to taste it again, but never had it come back up. A banana and a protein shake, or a MRP, or something would be better.

As for timing, don't worry. Just make sure your daily macros are solid. I eat breakfast at 6 and don't have lunch till 11:30 or so. 5.5 hours isn't the end of the world and I just make sure to eat a larger breakfast to accomodate.