PDA

View Full Version : MRP vs ...

hemants
02-07-2002, 06:36 AM
Aside from post workout when you need maltodextrine, is there any advantage (other than convenience) of a MRP vs, say, taking whey protein, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and a glass of orange juice? (assuming you can match the macronutrients)?

syntekz
02-07-2002, 07:24 AM
Nah.

Spiderman
02-07-2002, 09:07 AM
Yeah, its absorbed quicker into the body... You don't have to take time to make real food... Its a good source of Whey Protein...It doesn't have as much sugar in it as the OJ.

hemants
02-07-2002, 09:21 AM
Is fructose any more fattening than maltodextrine for a non-post workout meal?

syntekz
02-07-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Spiderman
Yeah, its absorbed quicker into the body...

Besides after post-workout, doesn't really matter.

Blood&Iron
02-07-2002, 12:37 PM
Well many MRPs--good one's anyway--will use casein and milk protein along with whey, rather than just whey alone. Whey is a pretty crappy protein as it is oxidized rapidly in the liver. Casein, though somewhat maligned by supp companies, is much better. Unless you order it from a place like the Protein Factory, however, it's hard to find by itself. Having a spoonful of peanut butter(I actually eat peanuts.) is a good idea with MRPs as well, as typically they are too low in fat(IMO) As for the maltodextrin(American spelling) it's less than ideal at times other than post-workout, but oj ain't so great either. I'd go for a piece of fruit or some vegetables. Whole grain would be good as well.

hemants
02-07-2002, 12:58 PM
WRT the carbs I agree that whole food is better but as a matter of convenience, this is not always possible.

The question remains, which is more fattening for a non post workout meal, maltodextrine (MRP) or fructose (OJ) ?

(As an aside, WRT protein, if you're eating every 3 or 4 hours does it really matter if a protein takes 3 hours or 6 hours to be metabolized?)

syntekz
02-07-2002, 01:13 PM
my guess would be malto since it'll raise your insulin levels moreso than OJ would... just a guess.