PDA

View Full Version : Okay! What's with the stinky farts?

Questor
10-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Months now - since I've switched to the stereotypical weightlifter's diet - I have been plagued with a constant barrage of stinky farts. I feel silly asking about it, but really, it's past being amusing. To give an example of my diet, I'll show you today's.

WTH is causing this? It lasts ALL DAY, and they STINK

Today Calories Fat Carbs Sugars Protein
Egg 60 4 0 0 5
Egg 60 4 0 0 5
Bran Cereal 170 2 26 6 3
Subway Club 320 6 47 8 24
Crackers 100 0 25 0 3
Slim Fast 180 5 23 17 10
Peanut Cliff Bar 250 6 40 18 12
Chicken Breast 160 4 3 1 27
Oatmeal pck 100 2 19 0 4
Raisins 70 0 20 15 1
Milk 1cp 120 5 11 11 8
Shake 110 1.5 1 1 23
Peanuts 40 160 14 5 1 7
Cottage Cheese 90 2.5 5 5 13
Cottage Cheese 90 2.5 5 5 13
Totals 2040 58.5 230 88 158

:fart:

FYI, if you notice the low calories, it's cause I'm only 147 lbs and cutting for another pound or two - I'm short. :)

1mmort4l
10-27-2006, 02:01 AM
Im not really sure exactly what causes it but here is what i have found...
I used to eat VERY small amounts of fat, heaps of protein, and average carbs. I also constantly let nukes rip, and wasnt popular for it... I found that eating youghurt with live cultures helped for a bit.
I changed my diet to include much more fats, and similar carb protein percentages, aswell as plenty of water. This did the trick for me, but im not sure of the science behind it..
Maybe someone else might be able to give you something more credible...

Eszekial
10-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Also had this problem. Went to a more balanced diet and it went away.

It was funny for the entire time though... Cant tell you how many killer laughs i got because of it.

bpapi2oo4
10-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Was going to ask this same question. Honestly these so called "protein farts" are the most disgusting thing. My intake of protein has gone up since I started lifting seriously. And along with this came the deadliest gas. The smell lingers so bad.

Eszekial
10-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Was going to ask this same question. Honestly these so called "protein farts" are the most disgusting thing. My intake of protein has gone up since I started lifting seriously. And along with this came the deadliest gas. The smell lingers so bad.
LMAO just thinking about it!

ArchAngel777
10-27-2006, 09:28 AM
The ones that stink are not the worst though... It is the ones that stink and burn your ass on the way out! Feels like fire is coming out...

mistergalarza
10-27-2006, 09:38 AM
lol great topic....... anyways, have you considered the egg to be the culprit of your stench? I remember eating tons of egg whites and man did they **** me up.

RedSpikeyThing
10-27-2006, 10:43 AM
I think protein powder, meat, eggs and milk conribute to these. So basically, you're screwed ;)

Guido
10-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Any major change in your diet is going to cause GI problems at first. Combined with the fact that you're eating more protein is going to make it worse. After a while the gas and other distress should go down a bit. Have you tried Beano? It might help.

Built
10-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Milk maybe? I drink milk and I swear I could peel the paint off walls with what happens to my innards ...

McVein
10-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Milk maybe? I drink milk and I swear I could peel the paint off walls with what happens to my innards ...

how attractive lol

Clifford Gillmore
10-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Bwhahaha, thanks for that MariAnne :p.

I've been pretty good with gas, and I eat a fair bit. My carbs are generally alot higher than the average BB though, and I get about 30g of fibre too soooo.

temps
10-27-2006, 05:49 PM
ugh those protein farts are dangerous. wouldnt dare rip one if front of my gf:disagree:

1mmort4l
10-27-2006, 10:22 PM
ugh those protein farts are dangerous. wouldnt dare rip one if front of my gf:disagree:

Thats where an inside dog comes in handy... Make sure she knows the dog lets rip, then blame pooch every time! Works a treat... hehehehe

Altephor
10-28-2006, 12:36 AM
Protein shakes are what's messing me up. Normally have a cup of milk, 1 scoop, and a Tbsp of peanut butter... few hours later I get crazy cramps and diarrhea it sucks.

Stumprrp
10-28-2006, 06:55 AM
dude, i am fart king, ive HEATED rooms with my farts, nothing like them!! its probably from the protien although my farts were worse bulkin then cutting, im getting in like 250 a day cutting i was getting like 400+ bulking lol.

Fuzzy
10-28-2006, 09:00 AM
You count!

Alex.V
10-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Cottage cheese, eggs, protein shake, lots of fiber... yep, they're gonna be bad.

PGreezy
10-28-2006, 04:57 PM
I hate it when I let one go when Im trying to sleep and the covers hold it so it vents towards my head. They wake me everytime :) and they happen like every 15 minutes

BFGUITAR
10-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Yes! Wow im having hte same problem. EVer since ive been eating like mad ive been getting alot of gas. Its really annoying sometimes during certain situations.

Ive also been intaking more fiber. That coul contribute to the problem.

Beast
10-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I hate it when I let one go when Im trying to sleep and the covers hold it so it vents towards my head. They wake me everytime :) and they happen like every 15 minutes
Just lay on your side and leave your butt uncovered. Not only does it keep the fart out of the sheets, but it also directs it away from your nose. :cool:

silverstar
10-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Its the flax seed for me, when I add it to my shakes it really makes me juicie .

clawhammer_33
10-29-2006, 01:13 AM
The ones that stink are not the worst though... It is the ones that stink and burn your ass on the way out! Feels like fire is coming out...

Thats squat day rocket fuel.

Levantar
10-29-2006, 01:06 AM
It's been happening to me ever since I started pounding the protein. The worst is when I'm in the crowded gym on a Saturday (like yesterday) and I have no safe area to release in. I had to go into the stretching room in the middle of my dead lifts and let loose, all the while praying somebody did'nt come in! lol

Westsidemonster
10-29-2006, 03:25 AM
I don't know why, I'm the kind of person that I never fart, or rarely fart! I'm serious, and no one believes me, on top of that, if I fart, it doesn't even smell bad, same thing, when I take a dump, it doesn't even smell at all. I must admit, I take digestive enzymes daily, don't believe in eating a ton of food a day or eating tons of protein, and I eat foods that don't cause gas. Also, I'm very regular, I do number 2 about 3-4 times a day, and I don't even eat that much.

rugby1001
10-29-2006, 03:30 PM
whey protein

Warrior10
10-29-2006, 08:44 PM
trust me everyone on this forum could each choke a donkey with their flatulation

JasonJeanneret
10-30-2006, 09:25 AM
Someone had mentioned yogurt had helped them out, a similar effect can be had by supplementing acidophilus into your diet. Lactobacillus acidophilus is a lactic acid producing bacteria thought to have beneficial effects on digestion and overall health. This seems, for me atleast, to curb the ill-effects of a higher protein life style. I use a combination of Papaya Enzyme and acidophilus, which seems to do the overall trick.

A few quick notes about it:

** When cycling up the acidophilus, you will let em' rip for a few days while the flora is replenished in your gut.
** You need to cycle off every 1-2 months, to shock you system back into its old fart creating ways. Acidophilus seems to lose its power after this period, so you need to start the cycle over again.
** I take about 1 - 2 tabs per day, 800 million active cultures I believe, and supplement in the papaya around meal time.

Validus
10-30-2006, 01:21 PM
I just think it's funny becuase who is going to insult a freaking huge weightlifter if he lets one loose. I mean honeslty half of the people on this board could walk into any room rip and wouldn't even be snickered at lol. So in the end I wouldn't try to get rid of the gas I'd just lift more and get bigger lol.

LibertyDante
10-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Man, I love Nitrean but it makes me rip so much ass. At work, I need to set outside every 10-20 minutes just cause the fumes are so overwhelming. Plus, Nitrean makes me have to drop the kids off by the pool up to 4 times a day.

chemical Andy
10-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Funny thing is, I get really gassy when I'm cutting or on a lean diet. Once I start eating like an animal, the farts go away... very strange how that works out. if i eat healthy, i fart. if i eat fastfood and chili cheese fries, i get nothing.

Westsidemonster
10-31-2006, 02:30 AM
Man, I love Nitrean but it makes me rip so much ass. At work, I need to set outside every 10-20 minutes just cause the fumes are so overwhelming. Plus, Nitrean makes me have to drop the kids off by the pool up to 4 times a day.
Oh my...That's bad...lol

Buzzsaw
10-31-2006, 05:34 PM
Hilarious thread :D

I think it's the eggs for me - I can actually smell them in my farts. I think the 10 fish oils I take per day also help. It's gets even worse on Sunday's when I've been drinking beer all day - my wife wakes me up in the middle of night saying "you're farting again!!!!". LOL.

beatlesfreak
10-31-2006, 05:53 PM
[My response, as inspired by my teenaged kids who are right behind me and who completely control my life.]

I'm shocked!

You guys [and gals] talk about this gas business as if it were a bad thing.

I say, sit back, enjoy it, make some use of it, and smile.

How many of you have kids, or at least young neices and nephews? C'mon, you know you've been wanting to play the "pull my finger" game since your grandpa did it to you years ago. Now's your chance. And you can do it all day long. And now you can actually light their hair on fire while you're at it, and really make it exciting.

Or, you can let 'em slip silently in your cubicles at work, or in a crowded college classroom. Think about the possibilities. 372 students trying their best to stay awake during a dry lecture in an auditorium sized Chemistry 101 classroom. What better way to introduce students to the chemical components of methane gas and it's effects on human respiration?

Or walking around the mall. Go into Abercrappie and Schittz and let one fly while you try on some of the latest fashions.

The possibilities are as intriguing as they are endless.

Just use your imaginations, people. :idea:

Chris686
10-31-2006, 09:39 PM
Honestly, whey and dairy are the only things that give me lots of gas.

I stopped using pure whey (Nitrean) and the gas is nearly nonexistent, and I consume 200 or so grams of protein a day.

Portboy
01-26-2009, 06:27 AM
We stink. I've got it pretty bad at the moment too.

But I guess this is the price to pay for size.

Reko
01-26-2009, 06:34 AM
We stink. I've got it pretty bad at the moment too.

But I guess this is the price to pay for size.

Lol, talk about ressurection.

RazorsEdge
01-26-2009, 01:32 PM
i hear ya guys, been wondering about all this myself.... Ive always had some pretty brutal farts but they were pretty much containable. After I started lifting in high school i told my girlfriend tough like you gotta deal with it cause I was tired of running out of the room and hiding it, she was fine with it, but now after dealing with my farts for 5years she is getting tired of them lol. I just started using ATLs Max Mass stack and holy crap are my farts brutal, cant hold them in at all just gotta let em go and I know its from the new protein and stuff because its a different smell then before. Best part about the Maxiums and Opticen is it has made me pretty damn regular, i always have to clean the pipes every morning and night. Worst part is my stomach always feels all gassey and crappy all day, but whatever it is what it is.

matt08
01-26-2009, 05:27 PM
i swear mine can melt faces. ive let some so bad i drove myself out of the room. letting them under the sheets is god awful. but i had that problem before i changed my diet and i still have it.
i must have some putrid rotting fecal matter in my intestines causing it.

snikez
01-26-2009, 05:50 PM
don't really have that bad of a farting problem but since I've started eating more, I've had to poop a lot.

etcarl
01-26-2009, 10:29 PM
I was wondering recently why the hot girls these days are going for the skinny heroine looking guys. Well; this thread pretty much explains it, hahaha.

Check this out though; get a juicer and a head of cabbage. Cut everything off and juice the root (the hard brick at the bottom of the cabbage). Choke it down. I wouldn't actually recomend doing this unless you're th worlds biggest jerk! Eszekial might try it, lol. Anyhow; I'm going to desribe to you what will happen.

I just got into using a juicer at the time ( about 4 years ago). I was out of apples and stuff, and I was feeling brave with some garlic. Juiced garlic is horrendous stuff, never assault your taste buds with that; they will never forgive you! Anyhow; I love purple cabbage, it's delicious. So I figured I'd juice the left over root/stem dealy. It produced a pretty decent amount of liguid. Well; I took a tiny sip and it was AWEFUL! But I wanted to chug it, so I pinched my nose and went for it. I immediaty lost controll of my legs and hit the floor hard. I was in an egg position clutching my stomach shaking for about five minutes. This happened ''Immediately''. I crawled on my stomach to my room and climbed up onto my bed and almost lost consciousness from the pain. Well; the only things that happened for the next hour was pain, god aweful horrifying pain like you could never believe. Then came the smell of brimstone and the intestinal hatred of satan himself. I've never heard a human being fart so loud. My mom thought a motorcycle had started in our driveway! The relief felt like morphine. But slowly over the course of a minute the pain came back to full level hell. And BOOOOM, then morphine all over again. You guys think your farts stink? You are WRONG! Until you try this; you will never know what hell smells like! It was like an elephant was in my room!!! I had my pillow over my face and I could still smell it. So I went outside. It was a very windy day, and I started walking into the wind. I was very embarassed to be outside, but I lived in the boonies at the time by a river. I wouldn't doubt that people thought a helicopter was flying low, lol. I was walking into a strong wind; and I couldn't ecape the farts!

Long story short; kids do stupid things. I will never do that again. However; if you're adventurous and owe your friends a good prank; try it. And for the love of God; put it on youtube! Put the whole stinky adventure online from the cutting of the cabbage to the last fart, haha. You'll get ten million veiws I'm sure. BUT, *Caution* *Warning*: This is emergency room type of pain. This is broken femure in a vat of acid pain. If you can't handle pain, especially stomach pain, never attempt this. I doubt it could kill anyone to do this. But your farts may suffocate a rhinoceros.

I really didn't think while I was reading this thread that I could top everyone elses grossness. Then I remembered the time I juiced a cabbage root. Uggggghhh.

03mach421
01-26-2009, 11:24 PM
i cant believe this is a thread haha because im a victim of it too! for the longest time i was trying to get my diet right, and the last few weeks ive been getting nasty gas...i guess i found the right diet :clap:

omerta
03-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Ah.. im not alone out there. but jaysus its bad when you disgust yourself isnt it?

kingswoodlegend
03-06-2009, 01:35 AM
it's not a bad thing i dont think...it just means that your protein intake is high....i mean if everyone around you lifts then they'll understand....lol bunch of big meat heads lettin of big one's..

T-BONE
03-06-2009, 03:03 AM
I was wondering recently why the hot girls these days are going for the skinny heroine looking guys. Well; this thread pretty much explains it, hahaha.

Check this out though; get a juicer and a head of cabbage. Cut everything off and juice the root (the hard brick at the bottom of the cabbage). Choke it down. I wouldn't actually recomend doing this unless you're th worlds biggest jerk! Eszekial might try it, lol. Anyhow; I'm going to desribe to you what will happen.

I just got into using a juicer at the time ( about 4 years ago). I was out of apples and stuff, and I was feeling brave with some garlic. Juiced garlic is horrendous stuff, never assault your taste buds with that; they will never forgive you! Anyhow; I love purple cabbage, it's delicious. So I figured I'd juice the left over root/stem dealy. It produced a pretty decent amount of liguid. Well; I took a tiny sip and it was AWEFUL! But I wanted to chug it, so I pinched my nose and went for it. I immediaty lost controll of my legs and hit the floor hard. I was in an egg position clutching my stomach shaking for about five minutes. This happened ''Immediately''. I crawled on my stomach to my room and climbed up onto my bed and almost lost consciousness from the pain. Well; the only things that happened for the next hour was pain, god aweful horrifying pain like you could never believe. Then came the smell of brimstone and the intestinal hatred of satan himself. I've never heard a human being fart so loud. My mom thought a motorcycle had started in our driveway! The relief felt like morphine. But slowly over the course of a minute the pain came back to full level hell. And BOOOOM, then morphine all over again. You guys think your farts stink? You are WRONG! Until you try this; you will never know what hell smells like! It was like an elephant was in my room!!! I had my pillow over my face and I could still smell it. So I went outside. It was a very windy day, and I started walking into the wind. I was very embarassed to be outside, but I lived in the boonies at the time by a river. I wouldn't doubt that people thought a helicopter was flying low, lol. I was walking into a strong wind; and I couldn't ecape the farts!

Long story short; kids do stupid things. I will never do that again. However; if you're adventurous and owe your friends a good prank; try it. And for the love of God; put it on youtube! Put the whole stinky adventure online from the cutting of the cabbage to the last fart, haha. You'll get ten million veiws I'm sure. BUT, *Caution* *Warning*: This is emergency room type of pain. This is broken femure in a vat of acid pain. If you can't handle pain, especially stomach pain, never attempt this. I doubt it could kill anyone to do this. But your farts may suffocate a rhinoceros.

I really didn't think while I was reading this thread that I could top everyone elses grossness. Then I remembered the time I juiced a cabbage root. Uggggghhh.

Wow. I literally began laughing out loud while reading this. That is absolutely hilarous!

Mercuryblade
03-06-2009, 04:20 AM
I absolutely cannot workout my abs without farting.

TheGMan
03-06-2009, 08:23 AM
let the gas run free, i do - wife, family, friends, gym goers hate me - i just make sure i can blame someone else or get out of there FAST!!

ct67_72
03-06-2009, 09:05 AM
I absolutely cannot workout my abs without farting.

me too. I had a bet with my gf once about situps, she was holding my feet and lests say she was not happy about it.
Ihave to say, I have more gas than anyone I have ever met but they never smell.

RedSox4
03-06-2009, 11:06 AM
I had them just last night, I was working on my paper and was letting serious ones rip, I had about 2 protien bars a shake and some fish......we now have to re-wallpaper.

DaRican
03-06-2009, 11:16 AM
This thread is f*****@ funny. I know exactly wut ppl are talking bout. I too have the same problem but dun give a damn. lol it's w.e.

rbtrout
03-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Etcarl - that was a crackup!
It's the extra protein that does it. Top if off with beans, cabbage, eggs, crab cakes and wash it down with beer and you've got yourself one helluva fart mixture built.
Two things I've used in the past - Beano, it really works; and extra BCAAs. Now, I just deal with it.....and so does my wife and others.:nod:
I've had it bad enough that in a car with no heater and it's snowing outside (about 25 degrees), we had the windows down for fresh air......and it took about an hour for it to dissipate.
If you're worried about it in the gym, learn to do drive-bys. Walk past some one else and let loose quietly. Everyone will think they did it.

I've got a large list of fart-situations, I'm a true fartologist.

ct67_72
03-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Etcarl -
If you're worried about it in the gym, learn to do drive-bys. Walk past some one else and let loose quietly. Everyone will think they did it.

I've got a large list of fart-situations, I'm a true fartologist.

thats hilarious. a little crop dusting is definitely the answer. as long as no one hears you in passing lol

rbtrout
03-06-2009, 02:02 PM
as long as no one hears you in passing

Yet, another fart pun - "in passing". Too funny.

OXplode
03-07-2009, 03:16 PM
lmao so does any1 also take yoga classes here?

Ryno
03-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Your protein intake seems about right. Try cutting your carb intake in half for a few days and see if that helps. I used to have this problem as well and I'm still a little gassy but they don't stink and its far less frequent now.

rbtrout
03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Yeah, but what fun is that?

irish_dec
03-11-2009, 08:36 PM
i do the dutch oven on my gf, im sure its not fun for her but its gets a laugh...do a long hot one under the duvet, then close her head underneath, giving it a bit of time to mature..bad craic