PDA

View Full Version : Rugby Assistance

CancerVII
10-27-2006, 04:49 AM
Hullo, I've been playing school rugby for around 3 years now. I tend to play either second row, number eight or flanker and I've never been real good at it and next year's my grade 12 year, hence Opens Rugby. I really wanna get into a decent team and I'm willing to put in the effort. I just wanna know what should I do to get into shape for the season. I've got approximately a bit less than half a year left until the next season.

Currently I'm in the gym 2 times a week as I use the school gym and they're not available on the weekends. However, the Christmas holidays is comign up and I'm hoping to go to the local gym with a mate which would allow me to go around 3 times a day.

Can you guys suggest some good exercises for the holiday season? I'm not particularly strong nor fit so I thought I'd get you guy's opinion. I'm currently 72 kilos and 180 cms and I've been working out since the start of this year. So far my gains have been alright but I can't seem to put on any weight. I managed to max out 55 kilos on bench and 85 kilos on squat last term.

I'm not aiming for the 1st XVs but I want to at least have a chance in the 3rd XVs.

If you need any info about my routine and stuff to guide me, I'll answer gladly. :p Just not sure what to include right now.

Shifty
10-27-2006, 06:05 AM
If you want to put on weight eat and eat some more! You cannot gain muscle without eating an excess of calories.

A basic program for you to look at would be something like www.crossfit.com . It will build your strength, whilst also improving your heart. I play rugby at county level (are you a brit?) so have a lot more training sessions than you do, but this is what my week looks like at the moment:
Sunday: Game
Monday: Metcon in the morning, weights in afternoon
Tuesday: Metcon in morning, training afternoon, weights evening
Wednesday: Running, rest
Thursday: Weights, training afternoon
Friday: Metcon, training.
Saturday: rest before game.

I play centre so my goals are slightly different to you, more towards running etc than just power - thats just an idea of the sort of program you could do.

It also depends how much you want to commit to getting good, you could easily get into the first XV if you put of 20kg and could push with the equivalent of 5 guys. What I do recquires a lot of commitment and I probably wouldn't reccomend something like that for your level maybe something like (I don't know when you train or anything):

sunday: game
monday: light metcon to loosen up after game
tuesday: weights (I would highly reccomend learning the oly lifts, they have massive carryover to rugby
wednesday: heavy metcon
thursday: weights
friday: running intervals, such as 6 100m sprints with as much rest between them to work on speed
saturday: rest before game.

CancerVII
10-27-2006, 07:32 AM
Haha, sorry to disappoint you but I'm an Aussie. :p

Thank you very much for the reply. However, the crossfit website is really confusing. Do you have to pay money to access the workouts? And what is that Metcon thing you mention? I'm guessing it's related to crossfit.

Thanks for the workout program. I'm not going to be playing any games through out the Christmas holidays but I'll keep it in mind for the first term when I intend to play some pre-season club rugby. So I should learn the clean & jerk and the snatch? I know my current rugby related program incorporates the hang clean but that's about the extent of my experience with Olympic lifts.

As for the eat more, I'm trying. :nod: I've started taking protein starting this term and trying to eat more and healthier stuff from the tuckshop. I'll see how it goes by the end of my current program.

And the 1st XV's a long reach. Mainly because my in game skills aren't that great. Any suggestions on exercises I should try to improve it?

Shifty
10-27-2006, 08:28 AM
I am not gonna give you any more advice thentuttut

For game skills? I would recommend just playing more rugby, find a club near you and join! You can only get better and it will help you a lot. No idea about the club system over there, but I'm sure you will get good game time and valuable experience.

Metcon stands for "Metabolic conditioning" essentially, improving your fitness. It is different to the traditional cardio vascular in that a lot of the workouts are done with light weights lifted at high intensity - it replicates a rugby came very effectively in that you use all your body. The site is a free resource, if you look on the main page there is a section called the "WOD", basically a workout that you could do on that given day. For example, one earlier in the week was Fran: 21,15,9 reps for time of:
40kg thrusters
Pull-ups.
I'm sure someone who knows more about it will chip in in more detail. I have just done a quick search of the crossfit board for rugby and here are some posts with training ideas that may be worht reading:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/16410.html
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/14227.html

If you know the hang clean, its about all you really need. Great excercise for building power in the legs. It would be worth learning the other lifts, but take it slow and learn proper technique.

It sounds like you are physched though and thats the most important thing at the moment, just keep putting in the effort and you will see the results.