PDA

View Full Version : Is there any instance in which not tracking would be better than tracking?

SpecialK
10-27-2006, 11:08 AM
This post was inspired by the following comment which was left in my journal:

I've told you to stop tracing all along, I've never traced, its like micromanaging, very little gets accomplished.

Can someone give me a good explanation as to why not tracking calories and workouts can be better than tracking? I just don't see how that can be the case. Let's take an example:

1. You eat 4500 calories for the day, but did not track any of them.

2. You eat 4500 calories for the day, and tracked them on Fitday.

Will someone please explain to me how the outcome of situation 1 can be any different than situation 2? Your body doesn't care whether you track them or not. All it knows is energy in vs. energy out.

CrazyK
10-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Some take the "it's all about what's in the mirror, or what's on the bar" approach. They don't care to count as long as they're progressing at the rate they want to their goal. I don't agree with this approach, but to each his own.

ShockBoxer
10-27-2006, 12:03 PM
I've been doing the 'as long as weight keeps being added to the bar I'm cool' thing for a few months. Worked fine for my lifting. Didn't work well for my diet.

Beast
10-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Not tracking for a while is great if you get bummed out with bodybuilding in general.

HailKingJ3ff
10-27-2006, 01:11 PM
If you're not tracking, how do you know you ate 4500 calories?

Jorge Sanchez
10-27-2006, 01:25 PM
I think there is some confusion. The quote you posted is clearly talking about drawing.

Tracking is obviously better than not tracking. Anyone who tells you otherwise -- regardless of whether they themselves track or not -- is just an idiot.

RedSpikeyThing
10-27-2006, 01:39 PM
If you can gurantee that you got 4500 calories with your minimum amounts of fat and protein, there is no need to track. I can't gurantee that without tracking, therefore i use fitday.

ancom41
10-27-2006, 03:11 PM
The responses suprise me.

I've kept track of my macros and calories so long that I dont even bother anymore.. I have a good idea of the number of calories I ingest in a day because of my consistency. My diet doesn't vary much day by day or month by month (which makes it easier). By now, most of you have a general idea of the nutritional values of the items you eat on a daily basis. Not only that, most of us watch our weight and watch for flucuations. When we stop gaining, we eat more. I dont need fitday to figure out how to add 200 calories to my diet :D About once a week i find myself looking up a new food on fitday, but other than that.. I go by memory and repitition.

Of course there is no advantage to my actions in comparison to someone who does track. In fact, the advantage is with the person who does track. I just find it to be similar to weighing myself every day.. unrewarding.

Interesting question, good thread.

SpecialK
10-27-2006, 05:58 PM
I think there is some confusion. The quote you posted is clearly talking about drawing.

Tracking is obviously better than not tracking. Anyone who tells you otherwise -- regardless of whether they themselves track or not -- is just an idiot.

Drawing? What do you mean drawing? The quote was telling me I would make better progress if I stopped tracking my workouts and cals.

RedSpikeyThing
10-27-2006, 07:59 PM
I have a good idea of the number of calories I ingest in a day because of my consistency. My diet doesn't vary much day by day or month by month (which makes it easier).

I like to have this thing called "variety". I think it's a foreign word around here.

Jorge Sanchez
10-28-2006, 08:45 PM
I like to have this thing called "variety". I think it's a foreign word around here.

:withstupi

SpecialK, I was refering to the spelling errors.

ShockBoxer
10-30-2006, 08:17 AM

I vary my lunches, since they're all bought at a grocery store deli (or corner pizza place, or McD if I'm feeling stupid), but everything else doesnt really change. Two cups of raisin bran, four scoops of whey, the lunch (between 500-1000 cals), a half cup of peanuts, a 3.5 oz un-battered chicken burger. Lifting days get 500 ml of soy milk post. Comes to 1700 + lunch non-lift days and 2000 + lunch lift days (so 2200-2700, and 2500-3000). Most vegtables irritate my stomach so I take a multi. No effect or a very slow bulk on weight.

Date night is the most varied night in my week. I let my gf choose just so I don't always pick the same place and order the same thing (creature of habit). Usually I pack away a solid 3000-4000 cals on date night (and it feels pretty good). Hit the gym the next morning and usually have an awesome session. :)