PDA

View Full Version : Lockouts/Boards for RAW Bench

Stumprrp
10-28-2006, 11:54 AM
been asking around and stuff and i want to know if doing boards and lockouts for a big raw bench is useful, i will never use equipment, i arch slightly. Off the chest isnt a problem for me but i have weak midpoint up, crappy tri's, i would think just doing the lockout and holding the heavy weight is a shock to the system.

also i like dead presses on the floor, these good too?

Guido
10-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Yeah, DB floor presses are good. Also, why would board presses NOT also work for raw benching? I do raw board presses and it has definitely helped me have a strong lockout. It gives you confidence when doing full range, too, because the weight doesn't feel as heavy in your hands because you are used to the overload from doing the board work.

Natetaco
10-28-2006, 12:47 PM
what about pin presses?

KevinStarke
10-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Lockouts and med/high boards have there place but no ammount of lockout strength will help you get weight off your chest. Theres no reason not to impliment them in to your training, but there definitelly most beneficial to shirted benchers.

WBBIRL
10-28-2006, 03:45 PM
I use them for triceps, I already know its the bottom of my bench thats lagging if anything so in all reality I should be doing heavy heavy half presses or negatives or something.

If your okay on locking out as much as your chest can get to that point then theres no reason to do them, hence as kevin said people who bench with a shirt would need them.

Hazerboy
10-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Yeah board presses are great, but If you're having problems off the chest try bottom position presses - I love these!

Set the pins or the catch bars to the bar just touches your chest when you're arched and ready - you may have to set them a bit higher, then put a few boards underneath the bench to get the height right. Work up to a heavy single. Even better with a thick bar >: )

Stumprrp
10-28-2006, 11:08 PM
thanks, im usually good off the chest, i stick anywhere from mid up.