PDA

View Full Version : Pre/Post for Morning

geoffgc
02-07-2002, 10:37 AM
Hi. A couple quick questions here. I realize this has been asked/answered many times, but after reading all the past posts, I was hoping someone could summarize it for me.

What is the best post workout meal to have? I currently have a MetRx Protein Plus bar, and try to have a small amount of oatmeal about 45 mins before I work out in the morning. It seems that most people are saying for post, to have some sort of protein (shake?) with some high g.i. carbs added in. What is the point of the high gi carbs and which kind/amount should I use?

I used to make myself large fruit shakes with berries/oj/yogurt, I'm guessing about 20 oz. Would that be good with some whey added in for post? Or would that be too many carbs?

I am currently trying to lose bf while maintaining as much muscle if not build some (xenadrine, protein, reduced carbs). I also realize that Severed Ties is writing some sort of article that I believe is discussing all this.

One more quicky, is 30-45 mins enough time beforehand to utilize the pre oatmeal/soy milk breakfast I have, to keep from burning muscle during my early morning workout (aka the "morning empty stomach debate")? Or is there a better carb that would absorb faster?

geoffgc
02-07-2002, 07:52 PM
bump

:help:

YatesNightBlade
02-08-2002, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by geoffgc

What is the best post workout meal to have? I currently have a MetRx Protein Plus bar, and try to have a small amount of oatmeal about 45 mins before I work out in the morning. It seems that most people are saying for post, to have some sort of protein (shake?) with some high g.i. carbs added in. What is the point of the high gi carbs and which kind/amount should I use?

* Post workout means AFTER your workout. I have some Brown Rice about an hour before and a Banana about 20 mins BEFORE my workout. High GI and Low. For the best of both worlds

I used to make myself large fruit shakes with berries/oj/yogurt, I'm guessing about 20 oz. Would that be good with some whey added in for post? Or would that be too many carbs?

* Glucose/dextrose Malodextrin would be a better source post.

I am currently trying to lose bf while maintaining as much muscle if not build some (xenadrine, protein, reduced carbs). I also realize that Severed Ties is writing some sort of article that I believe is discussing all this.

One more quicky, is 30-45 mins enough time beforehand to utilize the pre oatmeal/soy milk breakfast I have, to keep from burning muscle during my early morning workout (aka the "morning empty stomach debate")? Or is there a better carb that would absorb faster?
*Soy is nasty

Slim Schaedle
02-08-2002, 07:48 AM
What is the point of the high gi carbs and which kind/amount should I use?
High GI carbs after workout will bump up your insulin levels, allowing your body to basically "drive" more nutrients, (and supplements like creatine) into your muscles and refill your glycogen stores.
Good sources are malotdextrin and dextrose.....plus, don't forget your whey.

geoffgc
02-08-2002, 01:38 PM
Yates: (I do realize what "post" is! :)
Thanks for the rice/banana suggestion. My problem is I normally have only 45 mins from when I wake up and when I work out in the morning. So I wanted to know if that was enough time to get the usefulness of a low GI carb eaten beforehand. I could have that oatmeal, but I figure in 30-45 mins time its probably still just sitting in my stomach. Perhaps I could just have an apple and a small glass of milk? Worse comes to worse, I can always try and wake up earlier to eat (before 5! - ouch).

Slim: thx for the explanation. I had a feeling that's what the high GI carbs were for after a workout. I realized that was the case with creatine, but I wasn't sure if it affected whey.

Also, you both suggested malodextrin as a good high GI choice. I started searching to learn more about it and came up with an interesting article. I'll start a new thread to get reactions/opinions about it.

02-08-2002, 03:02 PM
geoff if you don't have enough time before your workout for a low gi, then just double up on the high gi pre-workout.

Jane
02-08-2002, 03:27 PM
if you want faster digestion go for something liquid :)

David
02-09-2002, 02:28 PM
Before workout - 1 protein shake+1 serving of rice

After workout - 100g dextrose+2.5scoops of whey

1 hour after post workout meal - 1chicken breast+2 servings cream of wheat+1 bagel+1protein shake