PDA

View Full Version : Whey Isolate vs. Whey Concentrate?

Sincer
10-29-2006, 05:48 PM
I recently bought 'ON 100% Whey Gold Standard' and all over the package it touts phrases such as 'MOST WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATES EVER!' and 'Whey Protein Isolates as the Primary Protein Source'. I'm figuring its a good thing, being advertised so, but I just wanted to double check that this isn't deviating from the other whey proteins in a negative way-none of my other whet protein packages yelled excitedly at me about the amount of isolates in them and some had whey concentrate as a larger main ingrediant.

Sincer
10-30-2006, 06:40 AM

piff
10-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Whey protein isolate is more 'pure' than concentrate is. Gram for gram, isolate has more protein, less fat, and less lactose which also makes it easier to digest. It's all around better than concentrate

85Mario85
10-30-2006, 09:10 PM
I think concentrate is better because its way cheaper I got 25lb bag for 100 bucks!

Altephor
10-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Cheaper would imply worse.

85Mario85
10-30-2006, 11:36 PM
yeah but there isnt that much of a difference between icolate and concentrate

hemants
10-31-2006, 06:56 AM
This is a good question.

Aside from the macro differences, I'd guess isolates would digest quicker making them better for post workout.

Against that, maybe concentrate is a better all round source since it digests more slowly?

betastas
10-31-2006, 11:50 AM
I go with Nitrean. =)

I recommend going for concentrates because you get more protein for your dollar. Isolates are expensive and gimmicky. If you can get more of each protein, why would you go isolate?

Why would isolates digest quicker? The isolate means they literally spent more money getting it to a higher quantity of protein per serving size. You don't get more protein overall at all.

Cheaper would imply worse.

So if they simply overcharge you, you think it's better?

Altephor
10-31-2006, 12:58 PM
No I was just saying his logic is flawed when he said it must be better because it's cheaper.

Sincer
10-31-2006, 01:11 PM
The protein isnt pure isolate, it has concentrate and isolate in it but just advertises as having more of isolate, i think it actually cost about the same as the stuff i usually get that has a balance or more concentrate in it.

Vapour Trails
11-02-2006, 10:46 AM
The difference in results from using concentrate vs. isolate is going to be next to nil.

In comparing some old whey I had which was mostly concentrate to some new stuff I bought that was isolate, the isolate had 1 gram more protein per serving and 1 g less of fat and carbs. I think that meets the definition of "insignificant".

Slim Schaedle
11-02-2006, 11:05 AM
I go with Nitrean. =)

Why would isolates digest quicker?
Isolates typically have lower amount of carbohydrate and fat. While the amount isn't a huge deal, and it will depend on what else you combine your whey with....technically, isolate would be absorbed quicker.

PoutineEh
11-02-2006, 12:50 PM
isolate probably gives you less gas as well. i may be wrong in this. if thats the case, i would buy it for that reason, not for the extra gram or 2 of protein.