PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question about Olive Oil and Chicken Breast

viperc8
10-30-2006, 01:47 PM
I usually boil my chicken breasts and then eat them with pasta and i was wondering would it be a good idea to maybe cook/fry the breasts in a little bit of olive oil for some more taste and nutritional benefit since its olive oil. You would be getting two things at once. And nothing too much , not deep frying or anything , just a little bit so the outsides get a little brown after the boiling is done. THanksss guyys

Mik
10-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Nothing wrong with a little variety. I think I recall reading something about olive oil losing some of it's properties when cooked. Can't seem to find it. Maybe I was drunk.

Unreal
10-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Nothing wrong with that, just don't get it too hot. Olive oil has a lower smoking point which just means pay attention to the heat.

Holto
10-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Don't take the olive oil very far above 300. For that reason I find it difficult to work with.

Mr. D
10-30-2006, 05:52 PM
yea i never cook with olive oil either. I either cook in canola or cook with a cooking spray and then throw the olive oil on top after im done cooking. you get the great flavor of olive oil that way.

piff
10-30-2006, 08:50 PM
I cook all my chicken brests with olive oil. I posted what I do in another thread but I guess it doesn't hurt to post it again...

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Season boneless / skinless chicken brest with fresh groun pepper and salt on both sides
Heat sauce pan to medium heat
Throw some olive oil in the pan
Sear one side of the chicken breast for 3 minutes
Flip chicken breast over and sear that side for 3 minutes
Put chicken breast in the oven for 10 minutes

Searing the chicken breast creates a nice 'crust' and also locks in the moisture. They taste absolutely awesome this way

viperc8
10-31-2006, 04:06 PM
So i guess the general consensus is that , it is not bad.. And especially for lifters that are trying to bulk..

D Breyer
10-31-2006, 04:09 PM
Awhile back built posted something saying that it isn't good to cook with olive oil... I'll go look for the post.

Razoul
10-31-2006, 04:24 PM
On a side note searing does not actually keep the moisture in. Thats just a little myth it does however develope a good flavor. Letting the chicken rest for a few minutes after cooking will help with moisture staying in the meat.

Holto
10-31-2006, 04:28 PM
Awhile back built posted something saying that it isn't good to cook with olive oil... I'll go look for the post.

The smoking point is slightly over 300 degrees.

For this reason it should not be heated over 300 degrees.

It's very hard to cook anything at that temperature.

Therefore olive oil is not good for cooking.

You should cook with fats that are solid at room temperature.

Razoul
10-31-2006, 04:31 PM
or you can cook with a mixture of olive oil and a oil with a high smoking point so you can still use olive oil and have a little more heat to work with

whiteman90909
10-31-2006, 04:36 PM
Simmer it in the olive oil when its getting close to being done.