PDA

View Full Version : Bill Starr and Assistance Exercises

jkirkpatrick
10-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Hey all,

I'm just starting Starr's 5 x 5 program (yes, I am excited and apprehensive). For those who have done the program, or a similiar approach, I am wondering if I can substitute good mornings for weighted hypers.

I intend to do this at home (rack with spotter bars) due to my concerns about maxing out on bench and I don't have a Roman setup at home.

Sound like an okay substitute?

manowar669
10-30-2006, 05:59 PM
I did this program for 13 weeks, and it's great. I've been lifting 20 years, and it's probably the most effective strength building routine I've tried.
In my opinion, I wouldn't even worry about the hypers. My low back was constantly fatigued after several weeks, and eventually that's why I took a break. I just started doing crossfit now (some break!), but I'll probably do blocks of Starr's 5x5 every 6 months or so, but for probably only 8-10 weeks.
The only things I'd consider adding to Starr is Weighted pullups, calf extensions, weighted dips, but the program stands by itself, so don't feel you NEED to add ANYTHING. Just if you want to is all. I would NOT add anything for the spinal erectors, they get plenty of work.

jkirkpatrick
10-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Sounds like some solid advice. Thanks a bunch! :thumbup: