PDA

View Full Version : Fish oil question

rapidride3
10-31-2006, 10:34 AM
I am currently down from 213lbs. to around 205-207 lbs. I have been on a slow cut. I have recently taking in around 92 grams of fat per day according to fit dat. I am getting them mostly from shedds spread (0 trans fat) some from 2%milk and some traces from other foods. I have decided to start taking fish oil capsules. My question is,,,,,,,,,,,should i decrease my 4 tbs of shedds spread (i really don't want to due to taste on my potatoe and pasta) if i start taking the fish oil capsules?????? Or is fish oil a type of fat that is good for me so i won't have to decrease my fats elsewhere???? i also am eating 3-6.5 cans of tuna a day. Am i getting fish oils from that???? Each of my fish oil pills is only 1g of fat I had planned on taking in about 6 a day. Looking now i guess thats not gonna add alot of fat to my totals per day,,,,is this correct. Sorry for the book,, it's just that fats are kind of a mystery to me.

Unreal
10-31-2006, 10:37 AM
6-10g of fish oil a day will be helpful. If you need to drop some cals to account for it then do it. I believe sheds spread is maragine which is processed crap. Real butter is 50x better for you.

rapidride3
10-31-2006, 11:28 AM
I have the biggest thing is to stay away from trans. fats. Assuming shedds spread is processed. It still has 0 trans fats??? Isn't this alright??

manowar669
10-31-2006, 11:38 AM
I have the biggest thing is to stay away from trans. fats. Assuming shedds spread is processed. It still has 0 trans fats??? Isn't this alright??

They probably drop the serving size down so that the trans-fat content is less than 1g, so can can say "no trans fat". It's the game they play. New Doritos and potato chips bags say "no trans fat", but the serving size is like 2 chips.

betastas
10-31-2006, 11:41 AM
There are lots of arguments for and against fake plastic butter (margarine). Just because it has 0 trans fats doesn't mean it is healthy, however there will be people arguing that it is both good and bad. I prefer to use butter, nuts and olive oil.

Canned and frozen tuna have no Omega 3 fat. Salmon, mackeral, sardines, anchovies and spiny dogfish tend to have a lot more omega 3.

If you eat 3-6.5 CANS of tuna a day, you should probably decrease it (to maybe one or two a day). While some people will say otherwise, chances are you are consuming a ton of mercury. The cheaper tunas (especially skipjack) have more mercury than other tunas.

If you take 10g of fish oil a day, then decrease 90 calories worth of food somewhere else. It really isn't a big deal.

And manowar669 is right about the product containing "0 trans fat" if the serving size is smaller than 1 or 0.5 g.

rapidride3
10-31-2006, 12:25 PM
shedds spread serving size:14grams (1 tablespoon)
Total fat: 7 grams
Saturated fat:1.5 grams
Trans fat: 0 grams
Polyunsturated: 3.5 grams
Mono unsaturated: 2 grams
Cholesterol: 0 grams (butter has around 30)

Unreal
10-31-2006, 12:34 PM
There website says it contains transfat, and then tries to justify it saying there is no evidence proving it is bad for you.

Holto
10-31-2006, 01:20 PM
Butter comes from farms.

Margarine comes from factories.

One is natural, one is not.