PDA

View Full Version : healthiest chips

dtshen
11-01-2006, 09:42 AM
why exactly are chips so bad for you, and what are the healthiest chips out there?

Mik
11-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Snacks, potato chips, plain, salted

Nutrition Facts
Selected serving size: 1 oz

Available sizes: 1 oz, 100g, 8 oz bag.

Percent daily values based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Nutrition source: USDA SR-15.

Display detailed nutrition

Amount Per Serving (1 oz)
Calories 1216.72
Calories From Fat (57%) 691.17
% Daily Value
Total Fat 78.54g 121%
Saturated Fat 24.88g 124%
Monounsaturated Fat 22.34g
Polyunsaturated Fat 27.63g
Cholesterol 0.00mg 0%
Sodium 1348.38mg 56%
Potassium 2894.25mg 83%
Carbohydrates 120.08g 40%
Dietary Fiber 10.22g 41%
Net Carbohydrates 109.86g
Protein 15.89g 32%

RedSpikeyThing
11-01-2006, 10:02 AM
why exactly are chips so bad for you, and what are the healthiest chips out there?

They are bad for you because they are ridiculously calorie dense and many contain trans-fats. Oh and they contain little/no nutritional value.

The best kind are the kind you make yourself - cut up a potato (or 2 or 10), cover in a small amount of oil and seasonings, and bake at 400 for 30-40 minutes. You can do this with sweet potatoes too.

McIrish
11-02-2006, 04:05 AM
Mik, does that honestly say that one ounce of chips has twelve hundred calories? :eek: ;)

leveque
11-02-2006, 05:25 AM
Sodium 1348.38mg 56%

^
That's the main reason chip are bad IMO, especially for someone like me w/ borderline high blood pressure.

Mik
11-02-2006, 07:24 AM
Mik, does that honestly say that one ounce of chips has twelve hundred calories? :eek: ;)

I don't recall the site I copied and pasted from but yeah that's what it said. It did seem high to me but ......meh.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-02-2006, 11:31 AM
^
That's the main reason chip are bad IMO, especially for someone like me w/ borderline high blood pressure.

Myth Number 4: A high sodium intake causes high blood pressure and should be
avoided.

The Real Deal: A high sodium intake does not cause hypertension (high blood pres-
sure). The hormone aldosterone acts on the kidneys to conserve sodium for bodily func-
tions; however, when sodium is consumed in high amounts, aldosterone release is
blunted and any excess sodium will simply be excreted [9]. As a result, sodium balance
remains normal. This is the case with all apparently healthy individuals who do not al-
ready have a blood pressure condition. The only circumstance in which individuals may
benefit by monitoring their sodium intake is if they have already been clinically diag-
nosed as suffering from hypertension and are also salt sensitive [11]. I stress "and" be-
cause only 20% of the population is salt sensitive; so for 4 out of every 5 people suffer-
ing from hypertension, lowering sodium intake isn't going to do much, if anything at all.
And even for those that are salt sensitive, the actual magnitude of the decrease in blood
pressure as a result of the lowered intake may not even be substantial enough to war-
rant decreasing sodium consumption as a method to treat high blood pressure
[12,13,14].

Now, I normally wouldn't kick a myth when it's down, but a high sodium intake will actu-
ally benefit athletes and bodybuilders for the following reasons:
* A higher sodium intake yields a greater overall blood volume and blood flow to the
working muscles. With increased blood flow, the amount of oxygen and nutrients deliv-
ered to the working muscles is maximized. This is particularly important when an amino
acid containing beverage is consumed prior to the workout, as more aminos will be de-
livered to the working muscles, resulting in greater rates of protein synthesis (muscle
growth). Also, increased blood flow will actually increase performance in that removal of
various fatigue toxins (lactic acid, CO2, etc) will occur at a faster rate.
* It is the responsibility of sodium to deliver potassium into the cell membrane of
muscle tissue. If not enough sodium is present, the body is forced to deliver the potas-
sium via "active transport" across the membrane. In this case, active transport is not the
preferred method of transportation and as a result less potassium will be transported
across the membrane less often.
And yet another myth about sodium is that a high intake causes tons of water retention
and a bloated appearance. While, yes, increased sodium intake will cause some initial
water retention, the retention is only temporary. As soon as the body becomes accus-
tomed to the higher intake, aldosterone release will be blunted and the excess water will
be excreted.
So no, consuming high amounts of sodium does not cause hypertension (and is rarely
effective by itself in treating the condition) and is actually a good idea if you want to op-
timize growth and performance. Shoot for an intake of around 2g per liter of water con-
sumed daily, ala the recommendations of precontest diet guru Scott Abel.
Having said all that, if you still are uneasy about the increase in sodium adversely af-
fecting your blood pressure, pay attention to the BP readings you receive when you visit
the doc (more than likely, the uneasiness will fade)..

RedSpikeyThing
11-02-2006, 01:43 PM
I was about to jump on that one Scarz. For future reference, where di you find that?

Alex.V
11-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Try those baked pita chips. I'm not normally big on "healthy" food alternatives, seeing most of these things as unsatisfying and only marginally better than the stuff you really want, but baked pita chips are damn good. I actually prefer them for snacking... less grease on the hands, better at scooping up salsa, and don't make you quite so damn thirsty.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-02-2006, 02:13 PM
I was about to jump on that one Scarz. For future reference, where di you find that?http://www.joelmarion.net/

teaturtle
11-02-2006, 02:27 PM
potato chips = gross! way too salty for me too. REAL potatoes taste much better.

ShockBoxer
11-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Tortillas are a lot healthier than potato chips.

Tostitos rock. With a protein source preferably... hate eating carbs alone.

leveque
11-02-2006, 06:33 PM
http://www.joelmarion.net/

This Joel Marion guy must sell potato chips on the side.

Too much salt is good for you? Am I missing something? I've never heard that.

I better ditch the Nitrean and hit the movie theaters:lurk:

rugby1001
11-02-2006, 08:07 PM
cooked in peanut oil i think

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-02-2006, 08:54 PM
This Joel Marion guy must sell potato chips on the side.

Too much salt is good for you? Am I missing something? I've never heard that.

I better ditch the Nitrean and hit the movie theaters:lurk:If anything, it's very good for your muscles.

heathj
11-03-2006, 12:40 AM
baked cheetos are the sh*t.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-03-2006, 01:30 AM
Hot Cheetos are the ****.

leveque
11-03-2006, 05:23 AM
I'm a big fan of Jalepeno Krunchers and french onion Sun Chips.

Those new Spicy Habenero Doritos are good too.