PDA

View Full Version : nothing will stop me now

SaVvY
11-01-2006, 02:10 PM
ok im starting a log (no idea how long for)

some stats:
age - 20
height - 6'5
weight - 239lbs
used steroids - no
shoulders - 58in
chest - 49in
waist - 38in
thigh - 29in
wrist - 7 3/4in
hand - 8 1/4in (from crease in wrist to tip of middle finger)
foot - size 14 (uk size)

I have been back training (did nothing strength wise, just some relatively half assed bodybuilding, an it was a year before) for about a year (ish) now

2 main goals are to have the strongest hands in history, and to be a pro strongman

heres some grip stuff ive done so far (been training grip for 10 months)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J5xJ2Eeaw_I
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ez8rQbDPizs
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HK2dQeaTW-c
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lZtrhrzAIcU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TIX4b8-bQQk

Ive cut down from 262lbs to 239lbs, lost 4 inch from my waist, an although im not mega lean, theres 20in between my waist an shoulders, so im not ALL flab

Bulk will happen asap, an i wont stop until i reach 300lbs, then ill cut again

yesterdays workout sumary (very crapy pretty much worthless vid btw) - http://youtube.com/watch?v=-cMLWZ8WUlM

I did 'bending' for the first time, which is bending steel rods/bars - im using ironmind nails, which are actually just short steel rods, there like 7 or 6 inches long - this is an entire upper body workout, but especially hard on the wrists

white nail - 105lbs
green nail - 195lbs
yellow nail - 240lbs
blue nail - 305lbs
red nail - 440lbs

33 people have certed on a ironmind red nail (have to bend it in under 1 minute) - this is a goal of mine

i bent 1 white, 2 greens, and 2 yellows

SaVvY
11-01-2006, 02:11 PM
31/10/06

training - squats

- light warm up
- 170lbs x 20
340lbs 1rm conversion (i use conversion charts to a 1rm to judge everything i do)

this is easy for me, im just starting light with the 20 reppers in order to have a better recovery rate when im doing them hard (ive done a couple of them now, increased weight each time)

SaVvY
11-01-2006, 02:13 PM
01/11/06

i was working today, but for me work is training, strongman training to be exact - i work in a carpet store warehouse, which is pretty much the best job in the world for me and my goals, ive done something thats pretty close to every single strongman event while working this job

to get an idea of what im doing - today i carried something around 100 carpet cut offs, probably ranging from 50lbs to 275lbs

i also unloaded/loaded 80 bags of underlay, weights ranging from 27.5 kilos, to 45 kilos each

today was an easy day, because i didnt put any rolls on - we put full rolls (4m long)on the racks firstly by lifting them up stone lifting style on to a trolley, then we end up winding them on with a wheel (pic attached), it starts off light, an gets heavier and heavier as more of the roll goes on.

The heaviest roll ive came across weighs 908lbs (see pic), an its just huge, i can hardly get my arms around it an cant even move it (didnt expect to!), i cant remember what the most ive lifted is, but its definately somewhere from 250-300 kilos - obviously your only lifting 1 end, so its not the full weight, im guessing something like 65% (???)

i could spend ages describing everything done, but instead ill just say it involves loads of grip work, deadlifts, cleans, squats, overhead lifting, everything, an it does get very heavy on a regular basis (i do a lot of the heavy stuff because nobody else can)

Main thoughts right now are basically to get a good level of strength endurance on my squats/deadlifts, an get my pressing strength up

Im looking to do 200 x 20 in squats, and 250 x 20 in deadlift (double overhand) asap

pressing is by far my weak point, im looking to get 175lbs in seated press by the end of the year, an thats gonna be tough

Im bust up at the moment, tendon trouble, an just generally worn down - i have work 2moz, and sat + sun, an possibly mon too (dont usually work that much), so training wont be happening for the next few days

attached two pics of me @ 239lbs (took yesterday), and one of legs from a month or so back

RickTheDestroyer
11-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Glad to see you started a journal.
I'm planning on learning a thing or two from you about grip training.

Bob
11-02-2006, 07:33 AM
Great intro Savvy!
I wish I had half your grip strength... I'll give those 30 lbs on seated MP if you can give a CoC #2 closed grip? lol..

Anyway, with your training (oops Work), looks like you are already ready for a strongman competition. I think you are in the UK, right? Are then any local strongman contests you can try out? Nothing like performing.. I'm doing my 1st Strongman in July 07.. unless we can develop one here locally.

OneBadUnit
11-02-2006, 08:48 AM
HAHA, I have the CoC #1 & 2, not quite up to getting the 3rd. Love IronMind

SaVvY
11-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Great intro Savvy!
I wish I had half your grip strength... I'll give those 30 lbs on seated MP if you can give a CoC #2 closed grip? lol..

Anyway, with your training (oops Work), looks like you are already ready for a strongman competition. I think you are in the UK, right? Are then any local strongman contests you can try out? Nothing like performing.. I'm doing my 1st Strongman in July 07.. unless we can develop one here locally.
haha id give you 20 reps on #2 for those 30lbs bearwolf, id still have another 20 left over!

work an training are the same thing for me! i get paid to do strongman already, just not in the usual way

i would probably do half decent in smallish regional comps, maybe id surprise myself an do well i dont know, but at the moment i dont really plan on doing comps, as i would have to travel around to get to them, an i have not done the actual events (other than carpet load, deadlift, squat, an crucifix hold) - i will hopefully be getting farmers and a log soon, then ill be looking to get a yoke when i can after that

p.s UK yeh, in the north west of England

SaVvY
11-02-2006, 12:27 PM
02/11/06

RickTheDestroyer - cheers / dont expect anything fancy!

last weigh in must have somehow gone WAY off, which has never happend before, but they did have a low battery, so maybe somethings happend there - my weight is definately still 239lbs (didnt think anything of a 9lb gain over 3 weeks cuss ive done this kind of thing before), body fat % is 14, so im the same body fat as when i started my last bulk

today i did put rolls on, and did rack moves with a couple of heavy ranges (627lbs each roll) - this is simply moving rolls from one place to another, it involves deadlifts, partial deadlifts, atg front squats, overhead squats, and negative press

im done for right now, tendons are bust up pretty bad, and my wrists are sore from the front squats (olympic style so it bends the wrist up) after doing that steel bending the other day - glad to have a day off 2moz!

rugby1001
11-02-2006, 08:14 PM
http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/forums/member.php?u=9466

SaVvY
11-03-2006, 07:17 AM
one what? some fool labled me a troll because i said what i gained in my last bulk - what can i do about that, lie an say i gained less? i even filmed a weigh in to show i weighed what i said..

if you think im just some dumb troll, then fine, go away an dont come back, end of that, but you would be as wrong as possible, im VERY much serious about this, and do not lie about anything to do with it - i trolled on bodybuilding.com 1 time to take the p#ss out of people who took the p#ss out of me, it was a successful prank, an thats that, i will never troll again

SaVvY
11-03-2006, 07:33 AM
even though i was certainly not 100%, i decided to do some grip last night (02/11/06)

training - grip

grippers
- trainer x 10 L / 15 R
- #1 single L
- #2 single R
- #3 fail L
- rb240 fail R
- #3 fail L
- rb240 fail R
- #3 fail L
- rb240 fail R
- #2 x 15 L
- hg400 double R
- #1 x 37 L
- #2 X 35 R
- trainer x 100 L
- trainer x 200 R
- sports x 135 tns
- sports x 100 3 finger tns

Just grippers alone today, with no negatives - didnt have that explosive power i have when im fresh, the big grippers just would not close, all attempts were between 1 and 3mm away

15 on the #2 with left is the most ive done by 5 reps (where did that come from??)

my bro rang before the trainer with right set, so i had a bit more of a rest, an i seemed to be able to carry on forever - the way i do an extreme high reps is to do a set, then rep out for a while, then do a set again, rep out for a while, and again and again until it starts to get real hard, then at that point ill use a set for every rep, the most ill rest between reps is probably about 3 seconds, which is just the time it takes for the set

created a hole in my little finger on the trainer set, so i did the last 60 or so with 3 fingers

SaVvY
11-03-2006, 07:51 AM
some new forearm pics

SaVvY
11-04-2006, 01:51 PM
04/10/06

im pretty sure its gonna be an easy day 2moz in work, an sundays are only 6 hours, so i did some training - just want to say i currently always lift raw, no suits, belts, straps, the only aid i use is chalk, which is simply because as a human i cant help but sweat

training - squat / press

full squat
- light warm up (8 reps)
- 179lbs x 20
358lbs 1rm max conversion

seated overhead press
- light warm up (8 reps)
- 120lbs x 8
- 150lbs single
- 138lbs double

should really have said full squats last time, and i do mean full squatting, meaning all the way down to as far as i can go, none of that wondering if you hit par sh#t here, i go down till i cant go down anymore - breathing pretty heavy, aching back, but absolutely no chance of failing what so ever

finally nailed 150 above head! cleaned it on to my chest, pressed it up easy from a dead stop + 6 second neg on the way down - i attempted this 3 times a couple weeks back an could hardly move it..only 50lbs to go till im an AVERAGE presser!!! :bang:

SaVvY
11-06-2006, 11:18 AM
got through the weekend without doing too much, tendons need rest though - my left arm especially needs rest, and a tendon in my hand is hurting too

doing nothing today or 2moz, then ill try take it easy in work on wed an training after

storage unit is £30 each week for a 20ft x 8ft x 8ft, which is fine apart from oly lifts with the height being only 8ft (guess i go outside!) - 24 hour access units have a 3 week wait though, so ill probably be ordering one in a couple days time, ready for next months pay

hopefully getting oly weights, power-rack with plate load tower, wrist roller, farmers, maybe a log - see how it goes

HailKingJ3ff
11-06-2006, 01:13 PM
That is very impressive. Congratulations on your strength. I'm interested in getting a really strong grip, could you give me any advice on where to get started?

SaVvY
11-06-2006, 02:04 PM
That is very impressive. Congratulations on your strength. I'm interested in getting a really strong grip, could you give me any advice on where to get started?
thanks but im not even close to what i consider strong yet! grip is the only thing thats 'ok', an even then, your only as strong as your weakest link, an i can barely shut #3 with my left (didnt train it for 3 months due to finger injury) - ive got a LOT of work to do

my advice to get you started is do deadlift double overhand with chalk (use straps only when you get to the point you absolutely cant hold on to it), an buy yourself some grippers, either the full heavy grips set, or ironmind sport, trainer, #1, and #2

use grippers only a couple of times a week

gripper sesh should look something like this (just basic guidelines, obviously depends on your crush level!)

- sport x 5-10 1st warm up
- trainer x single 2nd warm up
- #2 negative (crush it shut with 2 hands then sqeeze as hard as you can with one hand until it opens up a good bit)
- max reps on #1
- max reps on trainer
- max reps on sport

> rest for a few minutes between each set until you feel ready again <

after you get used to it you can start doing a couple more negatives

SaVvY
11-07-2006, 09:53 AM
07/11/06

left hand tendon felt a bit better so i did grip

training - grip

grippers
- IM #1 x single L
- IM #2 x single R
- HG300 x tns single L
- IM #3 x single R
- HG300 x tns single L
- IM #3 x single R
- HG300 x tns single L
- IM #3 x single R
- IM #2 x 10 L
- HG300 X 10 R
- IM trainer x 50 no set L / R

just an easy gripper only workout, nothing much

SaVvY
11-08-2006, 09:18 AM
08/11/06

training - back

deadlift - semi stiff leg / wide grip
- 149lbs x 8 warm up
- 252lbs x 20
504lbs 1rm conversion

barbell shrugs
- warm up x 8 with 160lbs
- warm up x 8 with 160lbs (behind the back)

barbell shrugs - wide grip
- 193lbs x 10
- 226lbs x 10
- 259lbs x 10
- 285lbs x 12
407lbs 1rm conversion

everything done with double overhand grip (not hook)

first time doing 20 rep deads / first time doing barbell shrugs (as far as i can remember)

every rep on deads was an actual deadlift, no bouncing - i rest paused it, taking a little break at 10 reps, and 1 at 15 - just taking my time with deep breaths as i was finding it hard to catch my breath, but the last rep was as easy as the first

shrugs with a bar felt weird, an i had to do it super wide with the grip cuss the bar was dishing out some punishment on my balls! could have done 15 on last set, just i had to make sure i could put it back safely on my bench, so i let it be at 12 an called it a sesh

Vita
11-08-2006, 11:40 AM
you're a beast, sounds like you've got the perfect job for your goals!

i'll be looking forward to see where you take this!

SaVvY
11-08-2006, 01:45 PM
you're a beast, sounds like you've got the perfect job for your goals!

i'll be looking forward to see where you take this!
ha got a long way to go till im a beast

job is great for strongman but its really hard to train while doing it 3 days a week - i only have 2 days rest at the most till i gotta bust my a** in work again, my recovery rates just dont cut it

im gonna take it as far as i possibly can! hope to be what most people would consider freakishly strong by the end of next year

RickTheDestroyer
11-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Looking strong as hell man. I assure you that your grip is already freakishly strong by most people's standards. I know exactly what you mean about the shrugs being murder on the boys- I haven't figured out a solution for that one...

SaVvY
11-13-2006, 08:05 AM
12/11/06

>>>gonna put a mention for when its a pr from now on<<<

training - grip

- IM #1 tns double L
- IM #2 tns double R
- IM #3 fail L
- RB240 fail R
- IM #3 fail L
- rb240 fail R
- HG300 tns single L
- IM #3 x 4 set reps R (PR)
- IM #2 x 10 tns L (PR)
- HG300 X 20 tns + 20 second hold >rest paused< R (PR)
- IM #1 x 34 tns >rest paused< L (PR)
- IM #2 X 37 tns >rest paused< R (PR)

After grippers i gave my 15kg plate a test drive - diameter is 14 3/8 in, an its marbled over, its very slippy
- 2 attempts @ power plate curl each hand, 1 of each made
- freestyle consisting of seated plate curls (trying to get my wrist to touch the knee but it was HARD), an some power plate curls after that
(all PR as ive never used this or any 15kg plate before)

VIDEOS

HG300 X 20 tns + 20 second hold - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WuapgOKsyU

playing with my 15kg plate - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrnRgb5IzeQ

side note - if theres anyone reading this thinking what tns??? it stands for total no set, which means picking the gripper up with one hand, and closing it with that hand only

SaVvY
11-13-2006, 08:13 AM
meant to put all them pr's red there, fidly thing is this..meh

BULK IS STARTING AS OF TODAY - 13/11/06

last nights weigh in - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYqFVuEOu9c

had a cold recently so probably lost more weight cuss of that as i dont think ive lost body fat - damn overtrain, but i have to work, sooner or later ill get so strong it wont matter anymore!

so start weight is 235lbs - i will bulk until i hit 300lbs, so its a 65lb straight bulk, an i couldnt care less how much body fat i put on, theres no way out of it, i will bulk till i hit 300lbs

i hope to have this done by the end of next year, but i know this is gonna be real tough, especially if i keep working these 3 days each week, last time i was just working sundays, my training has to be very much different, and its not what i want to do, its what i have to do

SaVvY
11-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Looking strong as hell man. I assure you that your grip is already freakishly strong by most people's standards. I know exactly what you mean about the shrugs being murder on the boys- I haven't figured out a solution for that one...
cheers dude

haha well, grip is an exception, i dont want to be a freakishly strong grip guy, i want to be THE freakishly strong grip guy - im planing to use IM #4 to warm up before im done! might try the thing for the 1st time next session

guess you either go wide or pick up some bells!

SaVvY
11-14-2006, 02:34 PM
14/11/06

got a cold / virus / fever thing right now, its been going around an i got it while overtrained a little while back - im sneezing like 50 times a day, getting hot an cold spells, breathing heavy for no reason etc

i decided im keeping on training through this no matter what, an well, after working all day 2moz id probably have nothing left, so i just thought ***** it ill do training today - it worked out ok the other time, though that was light an easy..an i wasnt ill...

training - squats / bending

full squats
- light warm up x 8
- 194lbs x 21 (PR)

bending
- green x 2 for warm up
- yellow x 1 in 26 seconds (PR for time)
- blue x kinked but not today
- green + white x 1 (PR)
- yellow x 2 (PR)

squatting felt heavy from the start till finish today, my back was on fire, an i lost count at what was 18 cuss i went all light headed, ended up doing 21..last rep went up a little slower than the others - took me like 10 minutes to stop breathing heavy after this, an got rediculously hot an sleepy all of a sudden, i think i was on the verge of passing out or something

bending was good when i found the technique but the blue was a rock - green an white took like 4 times as long as the yellow, combined there 300lbs so im not surprised as the yellow is 240lbs

contrast bath for my hands + forearms, an ice bath later on - might not be a good idea with me being ill but i need a recovery boost!

Coke
11-15-2006, 05:15 AM
Wonder what type of strength you'll gain the closer you get to 300lbs, you're already strong as fxxx.

SaVvY
11-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Wonder what type of strength you'll gain the closer you get to 300lbs, you're already strong as fxxx.
i dont know, hopefully a ***** load stronger than i am now!

SaVvY
11-15-2006, 01:05 PM
15/11/06

absolutely killer day in work! 18 rolls got put on, ranging from about 350lbs to 550lbs, stone style lifting them, winding them on etc just rediculously really, coming up to crimbo its getting mental - started regreting last nights workout pretty quick! my whole body is absolutely *****ed...didnt help that i had to do a front full squat double with a 250kg+ roll either!...>REST IS GOOD<

BigTA1982
11-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Man this Journal is a very interesting read. I never really thought about increasing grip strength. at 6'5" and 300LBS you are going to be a monster. I think it will be interesting to watch you progress to your goals and maybe I will learn a few more things.

rugby1001
11-15-2006, 05:55 PM
paul_savage2003@yahoo.co.uk

SaVvY
11-16-2006, 05:52 AM
paul_savage2003@yahoo.co.uk
why are you posting an old email address of mine?

RickTheDestroyer
11-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Damn man- congrats on the PRs all around. Strong as hell.

SaVvY
11-16-2006, 02:03 PM
cheers rick! pr's in everything all the time is what i like to get, but probably wont be happening with my current situation

weight has already shot up 5 kilos! 111.4 kilos! gotta be some kind of record! haha certainly a personal record..think thats mainly going from not much food to ***** loads of food! the bread an serious mass will be making me retain more water as well - 24.6 kilos to go!

went shoping for clothes an that today, got some stuff that fits, xxl tops / trousers an some proper footwear - like climbing boot trainer things, uk size 14 this time, i only got 13's last time cuss there was no 14's..hope my feet dont get bigger cuss shops dont sell more than 14 around here!

also have cancel the order of rb grippers i was gonna get, an instead got the new IM 2.5 / 3.5 grippers

rugby1001
11-16-2006, 05:34 PM
why are you posting an old email address of mine?
ok savvy but i am really sorry for making fun out of u and stuff but u gotta admit it was fun lol sry... i still dont noe if u a troll or not but i am sorry for the trouble i caused u

SaVvY
11-17-2006, 10:57 AM
ok savvy but i am really sorry for making fun out of u and stuff but u gotta admit it was fun lol sry... i still dont noe if u a troll or not but i am sorry for the trouble i caused u
i guess i should accept this for what it is, but i dont really know what your talking about

as far as me being a troll goes, i dont see why anyone would think that?? i mean, trolls dont usually have a diploma's in sport, exercise and fitness, and a level 3 in nutrition..they also dont usually have vids of them closing captains of crush #3 with both right an left hand either :confused:

SaVvY
11-18-2006, 12:08 PM
18/11/06

big change of plans

went in work 2day an my boss said i need to work 6 days a week, i obviously said i dont want to do that (as i could not train an would live a pointless life of working), so he said i have to go back to just having sundays - i was supposed to go to working weekends if/when i stoped doing 3 days a week (job was original advirtised for weekends yet i have never done that), total bull*****, but i guess thats life

i was gonna order the storage unit on monday, but that cant happen now, so i dont know what im gonna do for strongman specific events

i have at least got enough money behind me to pay for rent an that, i will still be maybe £60 up by the end of each week after paying it, an i have earned something coming on for £2000 (work for 2 months in advance) after i finish doing 3 days next week..so i have enough money to get buy

the good side out of this is that at least for now i can do some proper training, i can train hard an be able to recover, an i dont have to train after work every time

SaVvY
11-20-2006, 06:28 AM
19/11/06

training - pressing / core

seated shoulder press
- light 5 rep warm up
- 100lbs x 20 >rest paused< (PR)
- 139lbs x 1
- 139lbs x 1
- 155lbs x 1 (PR)
- 159lbs fail

High incline press
- 70lb db's x 3 (PR)

medium incline press
- 70lb db's x 5

low incline press
- 70lb db's x 8 (PR)

close grip hammer press (drop set)
- 136lbs x 7 (PR)
- drop 103lbs x 5
- drop 70lbs x 13
- drop 37lbs x 31

abs (20 second rest period)
- bw crunch x 15
- hanging knee raise x 10
- hanging leg raise holds x 12
- 10 kilo crunch x 10

side bends
- 37lb db x 10 / 10
104lb db x 10 / 10 (PR)
- 137lb db x 5 / 5 (PR)

this workout was rushed cuss mum had booked us to go watch the new james bond, so i didnt rest much inbetween sets, an originally wasnt gonna go for a max in seated shoulder, hence the two sets before it - 155 went up real easy but 159 got half way an changed direction :bang:

Coke
11-21-2006, 03:51 AM
Wow, red throughout the effort can't be beat man - props on the pr's!!

SaVvY
11-21-2006, 08:59 AM
cheers dude

20/11/06

training - grip

grippers

- IM #1 no set x 2 L
- IM #2 no set x 2 R
- IM #3 negative (held shut) L
- IM #4 fail R
- IM #3 negative L
- HG400 hydrolic no set fail
- IM #3 negative L
- HG400 hydrolic no set fail (2mm off) R
- HG250 X 5 tns L (PR)
- HG400 X 5 R (PR)
- IM #2 X 6 tns L
- IM #2 X 18 tns R

one hand plate pinch with bar through

two plate pinch
- 37lbs x 10 second hold R / 10 second hold L
- 71lbs x fail R / 1 (to 4 inch off) L (PR)

three plate pinch
- 54lbs x 1 R (PR) / 1 L (PR)

four plate pinch
- 71lbs x fail R / L
- 71lbs negative x 2 R / L

thumb pinch
- 21lbs x 10 second hold R / L
- 43lbs x 3 R (PR) / 3 L (PR)

didnt really think about this till after the workout, but this was 4 days training in a row - i felt ok before the workout, but when i got in to it i just was not there, #4 attempt was way off, probably over an inch, an it pissed me right off that i couldnt hydrolic no set my hg400 (close it slowly)

pinch stuff ive never done before (just done two hand pinch) so thats why your getting pr's there haha got a goal to pinch the four plater now though (i guess this is = to some kind of super blob for anyone who knows what a blob is) - plates i was using were 7.5 kilo's each, an there all marbled over, all very slippy to grip

Coke
11-22-2006, 03:42 AM
Awesome stuff with the grippers and plate pinches dude.

KevinStarke
11-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Strong workouts lately man, I really gotta get back to training my grip. A friend borrowed my grippers and I still havn't gotten them back.

SaVvY
11-23-2006, 03:45 AM
that last grip sesh was nothing special, but cheers dudes

(note that the following workout is again after working all day long, gone straight to gym after work - underlay today, including 20 of the 45 kilo bags..in the typical english rain haha fun fun fun)

training - 23/11/06

back / biceps / grip

plate pinch (no chalk)
- 2 x 20kg plates (a 45 to the americans!) x 2 L >both full deadlift< (PR) / 2 R >only 1 of them full deadlift< (PR)

wide grip / semi stiff leg deadlift >double overhand, no hook<
- 135lbs x 15

>inbetween sets< power plate curl
- 20 kilos x tried twice each hand but got 1 good rep R (PR) / L (PR)

- 315lbs x 1
- 360lbs x 1
- 405lbs x 1

high rack pull >over under< (4-5in above the knee, as equipment would not let me go to 2-3)
- 495lbs x 1 (PR)
- 605lbs x 1 (PR)
- 695lbs x 1 (PR) >stop here as it was only a 700lb test bar<

barbell row
- 135lbs x 25
- 225lbs x 9 (PR)
- 225lbs x 8
- 225lbs x 10 (PR)

hammer strength shrugs >not including frame weight<
- 90lbs x 10 (PR haha, ive never done it so i cant say it wasnt!)
- 180lbs x 10 (PR)
- 270lbs x 10 (PR)

hammer strength power shrugs
- 315lbs x 13 (PR)

Power curl
- 135lbs x 12

videos

the last time i pinched the 20 kilo plates with my left - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoU3Oau-XQ0

the 20kg power plate curls (and a couple of monkey attempts!) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-58njO6GNE

the 405lb DO pull - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnFU3t6-9MM

the 695lb high rack pull - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNV5mQhA_OA

awesome training today - pinching 20 kilo plates is world class pinching, the most anybody has done in plate pinch is 3 15 kilo plates, 3 20 kilo plates is thought of as impossible

an nobody has ever plate curled a 20kg plate in a strict fashion either (not that i know of), so im gonna try this somewhen an take it from there

pulls were real good today, id never actually locked out even 5 plates doing anything before, so im happy i could do this much weight

p.s ive only ever done barbell rowing once before, it was weird

WBBIRL
11-23-2006, 05:17 AM
Very very nice grip strenght bro, holding 600+ without straps is only something I can dream of at the moment.

Any hints/tips for the grip challenged members (such as me) here?

I'm looking more for static strength and not so much crushing strenght, but if I can improve both then why not. I fear that my smaller then average for my size hands are to blame for my womanish grip.

SaVvY
11-23-2006, 06:48 AM
Very very nice grip strenght bro, holding 600+ without straps is only something I can dream of at the moment.

Any hints/tips for the grip challenged members (such as me) here?

I'm looking more for static strength and not so much crushing strenght, but if I can improve both then why not. I fear that my smaller then average for my size hands are to blame for my womanish grip.
cheers man

if you want both, grippers are a good option - use overcrush, crush the gripper shut, an then do timed holds until it comes open over half way, its much like trying to keep grip of a bar

other than the grippers, its very simple - pick up something heavy an hold on to it! always go right up to the point where your grip is going before you use straps, never use them just for the sake of it

an make sure your using chalk! sweat will make you have to crush the bar a good bit harder, so take a towel with you, dry off your hands before each set, and apply chalk - if you have not done this before it will make a big difference

Coke
11-23-2006, 06:59 AM
The rack pulls with 695 are ridiculous as are the deads and everything else in the mix.

SaVvY
11-26-2006, 02:53 PM
25/10/06

most of that workout was easy dude, the 695 felt light

boss has now said i can carry on 3 days a week! he must have just been trying to get 6 days out of me, obviously im pretty p*ssed off with going back an forth like that, but ive managed to get it out of him that 3 days is most likely perm now..hope i can get used to doing all this! recovery is tough!

training - IM 2.5 / 3.5 test drive > hands were still beat from the other day, i just couldnt stop myself :-( <

did loads of singles with the 2.5 left handed, some with right, a no set with the right, and attempts at 3.5 with right, best was to 3/8th's of an inch, ill definately be closing it in the near future

held one of the 2.5 left hand singles for a while, heres the vid - (will add when approved)

KevinStarke
11-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Strong workotu man, nie vids. Rack pulls were strong but I dont see much point in doing them with such a small range of motion that was like 2". Killer grip though.

SaVvY
11-26-2006, 03:03 PM
26/10/06

training - pressing

standing strict press
- 89lbs x 8 (warm up)

power clean + push press
- 111lbs x 1 + 1 + 1
- 133lbs x 1
- 144lbs x 1
- 155lbs x 1- 177lbs x 1 (pr)

push jerk
- 111lbs x 1
- 111lbs x 5
- 133lbs x 5
- 144lbs x 5
- 155lbs x 5 (pr)

inlince bench press
- 89lbs x 8 (warm up)- 111lbs x 10 (pr)
- 133lbs x 5 (pr)
- 155lbs x 2 (pr)

this is basically the first time ive done olympic lifting, so a lot of it was just getting the technique better - i would have spent more time doing this but i finished work at 5, an it closed at 7, so i didnt have a whole lot of time, maybe monday would be a better day for that

i think im right with push jerk as the name, but what i mean is diping under the bar, but without the feet coming off the floor (though they may have on 1 or 2 reps by mistake, might not have though)

i cant remember the last time i did incline bench with a bar, definately have hardly ever done it - mainly technique on that too, though i think it was all pr's anyway (yes i used to be an even weaker presser! much weaker actually!)

SaVvY
11-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Strong workotu man, nie vids. Rack pulls were strong but I dont see much point in doing them with such a small range of motion that was like 2". Killer grip though.

cheers - im far from strong though!

dont know if your being serious but actually no less than 6in, maybe 7 or 8 - it probably looks smaller because the phone is at a pretty high angle

like i said, id usually do em from 2 or 3 inch above the knee, but you cant go any lower with the beams on it, so i dont have much choice

maybe it will help with lockout, an maybe some core since your using a lot of weight, i dont know, can train grip hold with it if not, i think the most anyones done with the kind of lift is 1300 an something

p.s it wont let me edit anything right now, something up with the forum?

KevinStarke
11-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Im pretty sure its not the angle. Look where the bar is, its halfway up your thighs, most rack pulls are done from right below the knee. Could be the angle though, regardless strong stuff.

SaVvY
11-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Im pretty sure its not the angle. Look where the bar is, its halfway up your thighs, most rack pulls are done from right below the knee. Could be the angle though, regardless strong stuff.
its half way up my thighs because i start with my legs half squatted dude - seriously its no less than 6in (not like thats a lot!)

i have done them from below the knee also, but feel 2-3 inch above the knee is best (its not like it will help off the floor period, so no need to go too low)

KevinStarke
11-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Below the knee is the hardest point of a pull especially a conventional pull which is why most people do them right below the knee. High pulls have their place but I definitelly wouldnt not do deeper rack pulls they really help. I hope nothing I said came across as trying to discredit you that wasnt my intention at all just making observations.

SaVvY
11-27-2006, 07:08 AM
Below the knee is the hardest point of a pull especially a conventional pull which is why most people do them right below the knee. High pulls have their place but I definitelly wouldnt not do deeper rack pulls they really help. I hope nothing I said came across as trying to discredit you that wasnt my intention at all just making observations.
nothing taken anything like that dude - yeh, i know a lot of people use racks from mid shin, but personally, i use rack pulls to help with the lockout an the later part of the deadlift / to get my body used to the feel of those bigger weights

for off the floor i feel its all about pulling that weight off the floor, but also standing on a platform or plates to get an even deeper rom can help

RickTheDestroyer
11-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Strong stuff man. Locking out 700 is no joke, regardless of the ROM.
I represented on the dude who was being a dick about the plate pinches on youtube, btw. :thumbup:

SaVvY
11-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Strong stuff man. Locking out 700 is no joke, regardless of the ROM.
I represented on the dude who was being a dick about the plate pinches on youtube, btw. :thumbup:
cheers man

im now thinking of setting a goal for a grand in those lockouts (gonna have to see about bar strength/room on the bar) - i feel many strongmen would do better with a stronger grip, grip is often the first thing to fail in a farmers walk, frame carry, axle lift etc this either causes slower finishing time, lower rep number due to lost time, or less distance an failed event

if i can hold on to 1000lbs, grip would most likely not be a problem for me in these events

as far the youtube idiots go - thanks man! some of the posts ive seen on other peoples vids are just rediculous!

p.s wont let me edit still so heres the left hand hold on my new #2.5 from the other day - http://youtube.com/watch?v=BMTkRDe-FdM

SaVvY
11-27-2006, 07:34 PM
27/11/06

training - grip / forearms

grippers
- #1 no set x 2 L
- #1 no set x 3 R
- HG400 negative x 3 singles >best held shut for 5 seconds< L
- IM #3.5 negative x 3 singles >best held at 1/8th of an inch< R
- IM #2.5 x 1 L
- IM #3 x 1 R
- IM #2.5 fail L
- IM #3 x 1 R
- IM #2.5 fail L
- IM #3 x 1 R
- IM #2 x 17 L (PR)
- HG400 x 6 + 8 second hold R (PR)

seated wrist curl
- 62lbs x 10 (PR)
- 128lbs x 5 (PR)
- 203lbs x 1 (PR)
- 251lbs fail
[I][B]- 251lbs fail
- 225lbs x 1 (PR)

behind the back wrist curl
- 128lbs x 10
- 161lbs x 10 (PR)
- 177lbs x 10 (PR)

Gripper dual hold
- IM trainer L / IM #1 R x 45 seconds

nice sesh

messed up the set on the 2nd 2.5 single, but tried to horse the close anyway, with the bad positing i ended up with that was a bad idea, i just knackered myself out, an then failed it again, which just p*ssed me off - 17 on the #2 was the result!

#3 is easy for my right these days, all of em were nothing

never done the seated wrist curl before

Video

#2 x 17 with left - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddQJKfefKBQ

Coke
11-28-2006, 04:15 AM
Damn, keep the grip training going this way and your forearms are gonna look even more ridiculous.

SaVvY
11-30-2006, 09:03 AM
29/11/06

i basically trained through the entire day today, got up at 7:30am, worked all day until 6pm, then walked straight to the gym an did this:

training - legs / grip / core

full squat
- 133lbs x 8
- 221lbs x 1
- 266lbs x 1
- 310lbs x 1 (PR)
- 266lbs x 3
- 266lbs x 3
- 266lbs x 3

full leg press (not including sled weight)
- 220lbs x 5
- 397lbs x 5
- 573lbs x 5 (PR)
- 661lbs x 2 (PR)

standing smith raise
- 111lbs x 15
- 221lbs x 10
- 331lbs x 10 (PR)

standing calf raise
- 397lbs x 10
- 507lbs x 10
- 617lbs x 10 (PR)
>823lbs 1rm conversion<

chalkless grip hold

double overhand >no hook<
- 221lbs x 10 seconds
- 310lbs x 10 seconds
- 398lbs x 10 seconds (PR)
- 496lbs x lifted but no hold (PR)

thumbless double overhand
- 496lbs x lifted but no hold (PR)

over under
- 496lbs x 5 seconds (PR)
- 584lbs x 5 seconds (PR)
- 672lbs x lifted but no hold (PR)

rope crunch
- 132lbs x 15
- 198lbs x 10 (PR)
- 248lbs x 20 (PR)
>496lbs 1rm conversion<

dumbbell side bend
- 71lbs x 10 / 10
- 112lbs x 10 (PR) / 10 (PR)

> first time ive ever put 6 plates on for full squat - it was easy

> standing smith was just to test it out, nothing heavy - didnt like it

> chalkless is much different to using chalk when your half way through an intense training session, you have to sqeeze the bar much harder with sweaty palms, so this wasnt actually too bad..but it could have been better!

> rope crunch was too easy, i suspect the dodgy wires an machines in the 80 year old (or something stupid) gym im used to creates more resistence, cuss ive never done close to that much weight before - need to find a bigger stack!

Videos

310lbs full squat - http://youtube.com/watch?v=AeUXdzP-Dwc
617lbs x 10 standing calf raise - http://youtube.com/watch?v=fv4TqVq2df4
248lbs x 20 rope crunch - http://youtube.com/watch?v=oH-rrvYJfEI

Stumprrp
11-30-2006, 09:08 AM
sick workout Savvy you had at LEAST 2 more reps in you there, is your diet still obsurd?

KevinStarke
11-30-2006, 10:55 AM
Strong squatting man. I really dont understand the idea behind getting a 1 rep max on calve raises though...

SaVvY
11-30-2006, 11:59 AM
sick workout Savvy you had at LEAST 2 more reps in you there, is your diet still obsurd?
cheers man

yeh pretty much! now that im bulking again im having some bigger meals - in work at lunch time ill often have 1 or 2 packets of walkers high monos crisp (135 calories each bag) followed by 1010 calorie pizza (only 3.2g per 100g of saturates), with 1/4 a bar of high protein/high mono's cheese added, plus egg topped beef lasagna striaght afterwards, with more of cheese added - id guess this goes to 2000+ alone

i make sure to have a 1000+ calorie weight gainer shake each day also, an im having 5 whole eggs cooked in lots of olive oil, with 1 tin spaghetti, an 3 slices soya/linseed toast each morning - i have somewhere between 5-9 meals each day

i did count the calories the other day in it was close to 9000 - i definately have more than i had that day sometimes, so some days im sure im having 10,000+

SaVvY
11-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Strong squatting man. I really dont understand the idea behind getting a 1 rep max on calve raises though...
cheers dude

i only work the 1rm conversion out to check my progress, i work everything out to that, its much easier because i do different rep ranges an its hard to tell whats best - i dont actually go for the 1rm, its just a number

SaVvY
12-01-2006, 06:53 AM
30/11/06

grip

grippers
- IM #1 x 2 no set L
- IM #1 x 3 no set R
- IM #3 negative L
- IM #3.5 negative R
- IM #3 negative L
- HG500 negative R
- IM #2.5 x 1 L
- IM #3 x 1 R
- HG300 x 5 L (PR)
- HG400 x 8 R (PR)
- HG250 x 11 L (PR)
- HG400 x 11 second hold R
- IM #2 X 15 L
- IM #2 X 50 clicker reps R (PR)
- double sports gripper x 100 (PR i think)
>rest 30 seconds<
- double sports gripper x 50

KevinStarke
12-01-2006, 11:46 AM
cheers dude

i only work the 1rm conversion out to check my progress, i work everything out to that, its much easier because i do different rep ranges an its hard to tell whats best - i dont actually go for the 1rm, its just a number

I dont know I just dont see how maxing out would help your calves at all I mean they dont really aid you in much. High reps would seem more beneficial to get them to grow.

Awesome gripp work, I really need to get some new ones I lost my #1 so I've had to just do a million reps with my trainer everytime I wanna work my crushing strength.

SaVvY
12-01-2006, 12:46 PM
I dont know I just dont see how maxing out would help your calves at all I mean they dont really aid you in much. High reps would seem more beneficial to get them to grow.

Awesome gripp work, I really need to get some new ones I lost my #1 so I've had to just do a million reps with my trainer everytime I wanna work my crushing strength.
like i said, i dont actually go for the 1rm, its just a number to check progress

strong calves are very helpful in strongman dude! aid in many events - farmers walk, yoke race, truck pull, all loading events, an just for overall mobilty

i work them with lots of endurance stuff in work carrying around carpets, underlay, flooring etc so i tend to do more strength work in the gym, though im still doing double figure reps most the time

p.s are you sure you counted that million right?? :-)

KevinStarke
12-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Ahhhh see I keep looking at things from a powerlifters perspective, I can see how they'd help with strongman. Not actually a million heh, just felt like it.

SaVvY
12-03-2006, 01:23 PM
03/12/06

standing strict press
- 89lbs x 8

power jerk
- 111lbs x 1
- 155lbs x 1
- 200lbs x 1 (PR)
- 111lbs x 1
- 111lbs x 5
- 155lbs x 5
- 166lbs x 4 (PR)

incline bench press
- 89lbs x 5
- 111lbs x 3
- 155lbs x 3 (PR)
- 122lbs x 10 (PR)

rope crunch (drop sets)
- 259lbs x 15 (PR)
>415lbs 1rm conversion<
- drop 231lbs x 3
- drop 215lbs x 3
- drop 198lbs x 4
- drop 182lbs x 5
- drop 171lbs x 6
- drop 154lbs x 6
42 reps total

with the gym closing early on sundays i didnt have much time, had to spend like 10 minutes getting a padlock for a locker as well :bang:

the 200 power jerk was more of a push press, it was sorta like i forgot to dip under, need to get that technique right! i drove it up to the right point for diping under, but was too late with doing so, by the time id dip'd doing so was useless - i muscled it up with my triceps without much problem anyway

messed up the balance on the 166, i miss timed the dip again an tried to muscle it but it started going behind me so i had to drop it :mad:

im pathetically weak at benching!! need to get 200 on incline asap

couldnt find a heavier stack that would pull down to the floor for abs so i had to put a plate on the pin - did drops cuss gym was closing

SaVvY
12-03-2006, 01:36 PM
oh yeh, last nights weigh in was 112.4 kilos / 248lbs - real slow gains with being forced to these routines i usually would for cutting! getting to 300 is gonna be tough

Stumprrp
12-03-2006, 01:46 PM
just keep workin hard man u will get there!

KevinStarke
12-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Solid workout man. As far as your bench I would try doing a 5x5 and/or working heavy dumbells to increase your numbers and endurance.

SaVvY
12-03-2006, 03:17 PM
cheers guys

yes ill definately get to 300 before the end of next year stumpster! i have no doubt, just might have to get fat to do it..

how exactly does a 5 x 5 work? i dont think ive ever done that..do you up the weight each set? or do you do the same weight?

i usually use bells but im changing to bar for the time being, trying to keep it fresh

right now my short term plan is:
sesh 1 - 166lbs x 2 >175lbs 1rm conversion<
sesh 2 - 166lbs x 3 >180lbs 1rm conversion<
sesh 3 - 166lbs x 4 >185lbs 1rm conversion<
sesh 4 - 166lbs x 5 >190lbs 1rm conversion<

high reps just gonna try increase weight

KevinStarke
12-03-2006, 03:28 PM
In my opinion the best way to progress using a 5x5 is to pick a weight and stick with it for all 5 sets and then add weight each week. I like to do 10 lb increases each week. Start with a weight you know you can nail for 5x5 easy and then just add weight each week till you hit that 5x5 you know you really struggled to get and then start over with a higher weight then you started with last time or switch up your routine again. I would go for 3 heavy pressing movements every bench session.

SaVvY
12-03-2006, 04:06 PM
In my opinion the best way to progress using a 5x5 is to pick a weight and stick with it for all 5 sets and then add weight each week. I like to do 10 lb increases each week. Start with a weight you know you can nail for 5x5 easy and then just add weight each week till you hit that 5x5 you know you really struggled to get and then start over with a higher weight then you started with last time or switch up your routine again. I would go for 3 heavy pressing movements every bench session.
i guessed it would be that way, like 20 rep squats, but i wasnt sure, never really looked into it to be honest

ok ima do my original plan to get to 190lbs 1rm conversion, an then do that 5 x 5 afterwards - start maybe 133lbs or 144lbs, work upto 177lbs, an then max out for the 1 rep the following workout

ima add dumbbell flat bench in to any sesh i have the time

KevinStarke
12-03-2006, 05:05 PM
sounds like a solid plan.

KevinStarke
12-04-2006, 02:05 PM
How would you compare the heavy grips and the CoCs in terms of difficulty and quality?

SaVvY
12-04-2006, 02:28 PM
How would you compare the heavy grips and the CoCs in terms of difficulty and quality?
my personal experience of the heavy grips is that they are real good grippers - to somebody wanting to start using grippers, id recommend getting the full heavy grips set over the ironminds for sure

hg's do tend to season down a good bit, an they also tend to vary a good bit also - captains of crush dont seem to season down much at all, but they do also vary, i have 2 #3's for example, 1 of them is a good ways harder than the other

the hg's i have:
hg250 - slightly harder than my IM#2
hg300 - somewhere inbetween #2 / #3

then i also have the limated edition hg400 and hg500, which are by far my 2 favourite grippers

KevinStarke
12-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the input, I have a trainer and #1 but just ordered the full set of HG's. I lost my freakin #1 though I'll have to rebuy that.

SaVvY
12-06-2006, 03:37 PM
06/12/06

work - (as well as everything else) 175 bags of underlay, from 27-45 kilos each, then andy (warehouse manager) comes up an says "right, now theres 17 rolls to go on"...

training - back

deadlift >straps< (used for the first time, just wanted to rest my grip as it needs it)
- 133lbs x 8
- 310lbs x 1
- 442lbs x 1 (PR)
- 354lbs x 2
- 354lbs x 2
- 300lbs x 20 >rest paused< (PR)

one arm dumbbell row >straps<
- 71lbs x 8 / 8
- 142lbs x 17 / 17 >rest paused< (PR)

hammer strength shrugs >straps< (not including frame weight)
- 90lbs x 10
- 180lbs x 5
- 276lbs x 13 (PR)

hammer strength power shrugs >straps<
- 320lbs x 17 (PR)

Con
12-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Your an animal Savvy. Good stuff.

If you dont mind me addin to the already accumulating gripper questions, id like to ask you a few things. I can hold about 250 with mixed grip. I want to improve my double overhand/improve left handed grip. SO Ive decided to get some grippers. I was assumin I should get captian of crush but I just read you mention others. Which would you reccommend for someone like me?

Stumprrp
12-06-2006, 05:05 PM
crazy workout!

SaVvY
12-07-2006, 04:33 AM
stumpster - yeh im fooked now haha

con - cheers man. I would get the full set of heavy grips if i were you, but remember not to just use the grippers on there own, timed holds off the rack at the end of your back workout (both double over and under/over) will help a lot also

KevinStarke
12-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Crazy workout man PR's all over the place, 20 rep deads are brutal.

SaVvY
12-08-2006, 12:34 PM
08/12/06

videos

IM #2 tns with 2 fingers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lCr7kPdJFE
HG300 tns with 2 fingers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U71yrBNKmvU
IM #3 tns - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON6XWG-s4NY

not a training sesh, i just got a little carried away after seeing if i could tns #2 with 2 fingers..

KevinStarke
12-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Sick closes man

SaVvY
12-10-2006, 02:56 PM
10/12/06

incline bench press
- 89lbs x 8
- 155lbs x 4 (PR)
- 133lbs x 10 (PR)

dumbbell bench press
- 50lb db's x 8
- 82lb db's x 6
- 88lb db's x 4
- 71lb db's x 10 >drop sets<
- drop 60lbs x 4
- drop 49lbs x 4

dumbbell laterals
- 11lbs x 8
- 22lbs x 10 (PR)
- 18lbs x 10
- 18lbs x 10

tricep pushdown
- 132lbs x 10
- 149lbs x 10
- 182lbs x 10 (PR)
- 198lbs x 5 (PR)
- 215lbs x 4 (PR)

rope crunch (drop sets)
- 265lbs x 15 (PR)
- drop 254lbs x 3
- drop 248lbs x 5
- drop 231lbs x 8
- drop 215lbs x 13

side bends
- 50lb db x 8 / 8
- 143lb db x 10 (PR) / 10 (PR)

Stumprrp
12-10-2006, 05:53 PM
strong lifting savy

KevinStarke
12-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Nice workout man good job with the dumbell benching. Just keep at it and your bench strength will start movin.

Coke
12-11-2006, 04:47 AM
Good stuff dude, got pr's everywhere - :thumbup:

SaVvY
12-11-2006, 03:27 PM
cheers guys

11/12/06

training - grip

grippers
- IM #1 tns x 2 L
- IM #1 tns x 3 R
- IM #3 fail L
- hard IM #3 tns fail R
- IM 2.5 tns fail L
- IM #3 x 2 tns R (PR)
- HG300 X 3 tns L
- IM 2.5 x 4 tns R (PR)
- IM #2 tns x 14 L (PR)
- HG400 x 14 R (PR)
- IM #1 two finger tns x 1 L
- HG300 three finger tns x 4 R
- IM #2 three finger tns x 4 L (PR)
- IM #2 two finger tns x 5 R (PR)
- IM #1 two finger tns x 4 L (PR)
- IM trainer tns x 84 R / 71 L

plate pinch
- two 22lb plates x 10+ seconds R / L
- three 17lb plates x fail R / L

plate curl
- two 17lb plates pinched together x 1 L (PR) / R (PR)

two hand plate pinch
- three 17lb plates held for 20+ seconds
- four 17lb plates fail

plate pinch
- two 17lb plates each hand held for 30 seconds (PR)

edit - thick towel grip hold

- bodyweight x 23 seconds

Can'tstopnow
12-11-2006, 03:35 PM
I am jealous of the hammer strength shrug machine you have access to. A gym I went to in NE had one and they rock. Strong as an ox, keep it going.

Stumprrp
12-11-2006, 03:47 PM
awesome grip work

Con
12-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the advise man. I will definately throw some static stuff in my workout tommorow.

Also anywhere in particular to get the heavy grips from? I got like 80 bucks, will I need more?

SaVvY
12-12-2006, 11:10 AM
csn - yeh, that frame effort is good for not getting smashed in the balls every rep!

stumpster - my grip is not good enough, i am not happy with my left hand - i need to be consistently closing #3, and every freakin time i cant get that last 1/8th!

con - http://www.heavygrips.com/ id either get the 100-300 package, or the 100-350 package, $65 or $75

RickTheDestroyer
12-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Looking strong as hell man. Glad to see those PRs continuing to come in.

KevinStarke
12-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Killer grip work man

SaVvY
12-13-2006, 03:15 PM
12/12/06

for some reason my grip felt fine so i thought meh, lets rep the #3! an it started from there..

highlights were:
- #3 x 8 >4 in a row + 4 set reps< R (PR)
- hard #3 x 2 set reps R (PR)
- #3 in a choker from wider than par X 1 L
- light thickbar wrist roller (just got it!)

choker work with #3 for left for a bit! handles touched!

Stumprrp
12-13-2006, 05:52 PM
sick work! my hands feel fine too usually the day after, maybe more volume with my grippers?

SaVvY
12-14-2006, 06:01 AM
sick work! my hands feel fine too usually the day after, maybe more volume with my grippers?
do some negatives on your #2 dude

Stumprrp
12-14-2006, 07:02 AM
i have thats just closing with 2 hands and trying to resist right

SaVvY
12-14-2006, 12:08 PM
14/12/06

yeh stump, close it with two, an then try hold it shut with one, sqeeze with everything you have until it comes open over half way - a few sets of these an some rep sets on something easier an you should be pretty beat dude..if not just do some other grip work afterwards

training - farmers walk

(weight is each hand)
- 33lbs
- 99lbs
- 202lbs
- 213lbs (PR)
>i dont know what distance right now, measure 2moz<

VIDEO

first time doing farmers walk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1vq2q2BWAw

my thinking is always that i can end up doing at least twice what i did first time on whatever it is, so im pretty pleased i found this weight easy - ill be getting more weight when i can, hopefully have at least another 20 kilos each farmer next time round

KevinStarke
12-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Cant really see anything in the video but props on the PR man. Farmers walks are great.

SaVvY
12-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Cant really see anything in the video but props on the PR man. Farmers walks are great.
cant be helped, bit dark out - i just walked back an forth out in the front a few times, 3 turns, measure distance 2moz

videos are mainly for me to look back on

SaVvY
12-15-2006, 12:59 PM
15/12/06

training - grip

vertical bar deadlift
- 28lbs x 1 L / R
- 61lbs x 1 L / R
- 83lbs x 1 L / R
- 116lbs x 1 L / R
- 149lbs x 1 L / R
- 182lbs x 1 L / R
- 215lbs x 1 L (PR) / R (PR)

vertical bar >must come to at least 5cm off<
- 248lbs x 1 L (PR) / R (PR)
- 259lbs x fail L / R (lifted with each hand but both were not high enough)

thickbar wrist roller
- 50lbs x 1
- 66lbs x 1
- 83lbs x 1 (PR)

towel grip hold
- bodyweight x 48 seconds (PR)

this is top 50 world ranking v-bar totals (in kilos)

1. Mikael Siversson, Sweden 319.1k (167.8+151.3) AGC 2006
2. Jim Wylie, England 317.6k (163.8+153.8) Iron Grip 2004
3. Johan Albrektsson, Sweden 316.8k (153.4+163.4) Euro 2006
4. Nick McKinless, England 314.7k (162.9+151.8) CC 2005
5. Ryan Klein, USA 314.6k (157.3+157.3) MGI 2006
6. Theo Burgraff, Holland 313.0k (156.5+156.5) Swizz Comp 2005
7. David Horne, England 306.2k (164.3+141.9) CC 2005
8. Dave Thorton, USA 305.5k (157.3+148.2) MGI 2006
9. Steve Gardener, England 301.5k (162.9+138.6) CC 2005
10.David Hurzeler, Switzerl. 298.0k (146.5+151.5) Swizz Comp 2005
11.Benny Wennberg, Sweden 295.0k (150.0+145.0) LGC X 2003
12.Mark Wylie, England 293.7k (141.9+151.8) CC 2005
13.Mario Sjögren, Sweden 292.5k (150.0+142.5) LGC XV 2006
14.Jens Jepsson, Sweden 286.8k (143.4+143.4) Euro 2006
15.Kalle Lane, Sweden 285.0k (145.0+140.0) European 2004
16.Jason Horne, England 277.5k (143.8+133.7) Iron Grip 2004
17.Martin Arildsson, Sweden 276.8k (143.4+133.4) Euro 2006
18.David Stiff, Australia 276.5k (142.6+133.9) AGC 2006
19.Arne Persson, Sweden 275.0k (137.5+137.5) LGC XI 2004
20.Mikael Lindén, Sweden 270.0k (140.0+130.0) LGC XIII 2005
20.Viktor Sander, Sweden 270.0k (140.0+130.0) LGC XIII 2005
22.Johan Olofsson, Sweden 267.5k (137.5+130.0) LGC XIV 2006
23.Jörgen Holm, Sweden 266.8k (138.4+128.4) Euro 2006
23.Martin Ressel, Germany 266.8k (133.4+133.4) Euro 2006
25.Andrew Christie, England 266.6k (133.3+133.3) CC 2005
26.Steve McGranahan, USA 263.3k (133.3+130.0) CC 2005
27.Florian Kellersmann, Germ.261.8k (130.9+130.9) Euro 2006
28.Richard Scott, England 261.7k (123.1+138.6) CC 2005
29.Frank Henritzi, Germany 258.4k (130.0+128.4) CC 2005
30.Dean Bolt, Wales 257.4k (133.7+123.7) Iron Grip 2004
31.Eric Milfeld, USA 255.3k (131.0+124.3) SoHGC 2006
32.Jonas Svarén, Sweden 255.0k (130.0+125.0) LGC X 2003
33.Brian Admunsen, USA 254.7k (134.1+120.6) MGI 2006
34.Matt Chips, USA 252.8k (131.0+121.8) SoHGC 2006
35.Dave Johnsson, England 250.9k (136.2+114.7) IG (nov.) 2004
36.Stefan Ljungberg, Sweden 250.0k (127.5+122.5) LGC X 2003
36.Björn Andersson, Sweden 250.0k (132.5+117.5) LGC XIII 2005
38.Burkhard Macht, Germany 247.5k (132.5+115.0) European 2005
39.Jim Gahnfelt, Sweden 240.0k (120.0+120.0) LGC XIII 2005
40.Steve Shafley, USA 236.8k (116.2+120.6) MGI 2006
41.Jason Williams, USA 234.3k (121.8+112.5) SoHGC 2006
42.Oliver Horne, England 229.4k (119.7+109.7) IG (nov.) 2004
42.Dave Warrilow, England 229.4k (114.7+114.7) IG (nov.) 2004
44.Bob Lipinski, USA 225.7k (114.0+111.7) MGI 2006
45.Elizabeth Talbot, England 225.0k (112.5+112.5) European 2004
45.Erik Franz, Germany 225.0k (122.5+102.5) European 2004
47.Arthur Antonopoulos, Aust.224.6k (117.4+107.3) AGC 2006
48.Mark Riddle, USA 223.3k (107.1+116.2) MGI 2006
49.Martin Kotte, Germany 223.0k (106.5+116.5) Swizz Comp 2005
50.Marco Bouma, Holland 221.8k (110.9+110.9) Euro 2006

Today was my first time doing v-bar an i got 112.6kg with each hand, total being 225.2kg (just shy of 500lbs) - this would put me 45th

Im currently waiting on the official stats of the v-bar used in contest, i have no idea if it differs to what i used - i was using a standard loading pin, which is a 2 foot long bar with no knurling

edit - bar thickness is the same as contest (1in) so seems contest could only be easier rather than harder (if knurling is on the bar)

Stumprrp
12-15-2006, 01:14 PM
sick work savvy

KevinStarke
12-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Damn man you do alooooot of grip work. Nasty V-bars get on that list man.

SaVvY
12-15-2006, 03:32 PM
magnus samuelson in swedish power dvd "i train my grip 3 times a week, because a strongman without a grip, aint gonna make it far"

my grip just seems to be recovering in like 1 day at the moment, so i train again - wish i could recover from pressing or squats in a day!!!

im thinking of contests now, im hoping that southwest strongman has a 2007, i think id like to enter that as a novice for my first strongman contest, ive emailed them about it but have not got a reply at the moment -http://www.southweststrongman.co.uk/

also thinking of maybe doing british irongrip 2008 as my first grip contest, heres the 2007 events just so ya get an idea of how grip contests go:

1) Grippers - usual standardized rules and a test of crushing power

2) 2 hand pinch - usual standardized rules and a test of pinch grip

3) V-Bar - usual standardized rules

4) 3" thick FBBC Wrist roller - a serious test of grip and more so thumb power. Also a nice change from the RT thumbless or otherwise.

5) Deadlift hold using 'farmers bells'. A test of your grip endurance. Which is why it's last so as to not exhaust your power on the other events

SaVvY
12-16-2006, 03:13 PM
16/12/06

training - pressing

log bar clean + press
>strict press<
- 58lbs x 1 clean / 8 press
- 91lbs x 1
- 124lbs x 1
>some leg drive<
- 146lbs x 1
- 146lbs x 1
- 157lbs x 1 (PR)

log bar bench press

- 91lbs x 5
- 168lbs x 1
- 223lbs x fail
- 210lbs x fail
- 201lbs x 1 (PR)
- 157lbs x 5 (PR)
- 137lbs x 10 (PR)
- 146lbs x 9 (PR)

log bar clean + press
>strict<
- 91lbs x 1 clean / 12 press (PR)

close grip push up

- bodyweight x 10
- bodyweight x 10
- bodyweight x 10

log bar is basically the frame of the log used in strongman without the actual log

all the 1 rep stuff was done from a complete dead stop - couldn't use much leg drive overhead cuss i had to do it in me room with my olds being in (they dont like me doing strongman)

i had the 223 all but locked an it just would not go up, then even 210 i could only lock 1 arm (didnt rest enough!), so then i got really pissed an made sure to at least do over 200, i didnt rest at all for that but it went up easy anyway

Stumprrp
12-16-2006, 03:22 PM
nice pressing savvy

SaVvY
12-16-2006, 03:28 PM
nice pressing savvywell thanks stump, but unfortunately these weights were with 2 arms, not just 1 :bang:

KevinStarke
12-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Long bar bench must be strange, awesome pressing with it man.

SaVvY
12-18-2006, 07:44 AM
18/12/06

training - grip

card tear
- deck x fail
- deck x 1 (PR)
- deck x 1

Phonebook tear
- x 1 (PR)

Ironmind nails
- blue x 1 >in 21 seconds< (PR)
- red x nothing
- three greens x nothing
- two greens x 1 >in 2 minutes 13 seconds) (PR)

Phonebook was pretty easy for the first time trying, but cards im still not too good at, tried em 1 or 2 times before, only done about a half pack before now so pleased to get through em all but took far too long - they just crumble up into bits, which makes it even harder to grip em

Blue went easy this time! the red will fall!

KevinStarke
12-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Awesome tearing and bending man, how many pages was the phonebook?

SaVvY
12-19-2006, 09:00 AM
18/12/06

cheers dude, not that good at that stuff yet but good to blitz a blue nail - i think phonebook was 700 pages, pretty easy to be honest

training - legs / bench press

full squats
- 111lbs x 8
- 177lbs x 1
- 244lbs x 5
- 244lbs x 2
- 244lbs x 2
- 244lbs x 2
- 244lbs x 2
- 244lbs x 2

leg press (not including sled weight)
- 176lbs x 5
- 356lbs x 20 (PR)
- 441lbs x 20 (PR)
>882lbs 1rm conversion<

standing calf raise
- 397lbs x 10
- 507lbs x 20 >rest paused for 10 seconds at 17< (PR)

lying leg curl
- 77lbs x 10
- 105lbs x 10
- 121lbs x 10 >rest pasued<

bench press
- 133lbs x 10
- 177lbs x 5 (PR)
- 221lbs x fail

100m sprint

leg press wasnt the hardest thing ive ever done, but it really hurt the tendons in my feet!

calf raise - damnit! i just could not do more than 17 without a rest

bench press - i can see 2 plates a side happening pretty soon

KevinStarke
12-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Plenty of leg work, im sure the 20 reppers on leg press had ya burning. PR's all around great job man.

SaVvY
12-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Plenty of leg work, im sure the 20 reppers on leg press had ya burning. PR's all around great job man.
cheers dude

im thinking ima change my legs routine around a bit, im thinking to something like this:

front squats - 5 x 5
leg press - 1 x 20 / 1 x 30
lying leg curl - 3 x 10
standing calf raise - 3 x 15

front squats help with many strongman events, its about time i did them, an ive heard high reps on the sled help with truck pull an drag events, so ima get some endurance with that - leg curls i totally need to do cuss my hamstrings are weak!

im also thinking to change my none log bar press workout to:

power jerk
incline bench press
close grip bench press
dumbbell laterals

maybe use doubles on powerjerk, incline bench 5 x 5 after i get to 177 for 5, close grip 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6, an 1 x 4, an laterals 3 x 10

Stumprrp
12-19-2006, 02:36 PM
nice job on that leg work savvy and those exersizes look good

SaVvY
12-21-2006, 03:53 PM
21/12/06

training - pressing

standing strict press
- 44lbs x 15
- 89lbs x 8
- 111lbs x 8
- 122lbs x 8 (PR)
- 133lbs x 1

incline bench press
- 11lbs x 2
- 177lbs x fail
- 133lbs x 7

narrow grip bench press
- 111lbs x 8
- 133lbs x 6
- 155lbs x 4
- 177lbs x 6 (PR)
- 188lbs x 2 (PR)

standing press - feels a bit weird, not really done this. Only did the plate a side rep cuss i was waiting for the incline bench, it was easy

incline - crap, crap, crap, crap, crap..off balance with the 177 attempt, nearly did it anway but failed 3/4 of the way up, then i barely miss the 5th on 155 for the same damn reason!!!

narrow grip - only rest 60-90 seconds with this, i feel as if i can almost do more with narrow grip (griping on the edge of where the knurling stops) than wide grip, i didnt expect to be able to do as much weight, an i usually rest at least twice as long (bro was in a rush)

>overall this workout was pretty crapy, my pecs an triceps were still sore but im trying to push pressing a bit to hopefully improve my recovery rate so i can do it more often<

KevinStarke
12-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Congrats on the PR's man strong pressing. Any workout with PR's couldnt be too crappy man I wouldn't sweat it.

SaVvY
12-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Congrats on the PR's man strong pressing. Any workout with PR's couldnt be too crappy man I wouldn't sweat it.
well cheers but pr's only cuss i have never really done standing strict press, an cuss ive practically never done narrow grip bench either, last time i did that was years back!!

the bottom line is on incline press, i got 155 for 4 last time, an this time i got the same - no improvement!

i absolutely HAVE to make a career out of strongman, an i have to do this as soon as possible, my parents are gonna want me out of this house for sure in 2-3 years tops - at that point i may have to work full time which could completely destroy my training

i will not be just another guy that works fulltime in some job he hates for most of his life like some damn ant working for the queen, i will do what i want to do, i will be a professional athlete, i will be a professional strongman!

in my mind, every single day its now or never, and pressing is my weak point, i cant afford to have weak points! i MUST be pressing 300+ above my head by the time next years out!

KevinStarke
12-22-2006, 01:20 PM
PR's a PR man! haha. Just keep it at man if you really wanna be in strongman im sure you'll get there.

SaVvY
12-25-2006, 09:11 AM
christmas eve 2006

training - random

cant rememeber everything exactly cuss i had a lot to drink last night an im still wasted now! so just what i can remember:

- curls upto 90lbs for sets of 10 with the log and then a straight bar, very strict form with these
- farmers deadlift, worked up to everything i could fit on for a triple, something like 100 kilos each hand i think
- farmers shrugs, worked up to i think somewhere around 130lbs a hand for 10
- seated overhead press i did 138lbs for 4, an 116lbs for 8
- narrow grip bench press i worked up to 160 for 6

then i also did grippers inbetween sets, loads of singles with HG400 left hand, an no sets with me right hand - ive decided to screw the ironminds off for a bit an just go straight for the HG500

i have came up with an idea of how to go about it, i have wraped loads of elastic bands around it, which has got it to 1 inch, so its kinda like a choker now, dont need to set it. The difference though is that the bands obviously make it easier, so basically with the bands i can make it to whatever resistence i want. The idea being to get however many bands around it takes for me to be able to close it now, an then as i get stronger, take bands off, eventually leading to no bands.

as it is now i came within 1/16 of getting it after doing loads of no sets on the 400, an my grip was weak anyway - ill be good for the close when im fresh

by the way, to those who dont know, nobody has ever closed the Heavy Grip 500, an it has a $500 bounty on it - you can actually get upto $5000 for closing it at a tradeshow

SaVvY
12-28-2006, 02:44 PM
28/12/06

training - conditioning

rower - 10 minutes
cross trainer - 5 minutes
treadmil - 5 minutes
exercise bike - 10 minutes

>no rests<

KevinStarke
12-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Good work man, I have to start doing some conditioning myself.

SaVvY
01-02-2007, 12:19 PM
02/01/07

2007 is the year to make some IMPACT!! before the years out i wanna be strong all around with no weakness, have good cardio, an i wanna have collected the bounty on the HG500! i also plan to compete in strongman

back to working sundays for a month or so now, apparently they cant afford me cuss biz is down - not bothered as long as its just that, gives me some time to do some proper training!

training - back

Double Overhand Deadlift
- light warm up x 8
- heavy warm up x 5
- 365lbs x 5 (PR)
- 310lbs x 9 + 2 (PR)

Pull ups
- BW x 5 sets of 3 reps (PR)

DB shrugs
- 73lb db's x 10
- 95lb db's x 10
- 108lbs db's x 10

Crunch
- BW x 3 sets of 10 reps

I fired up for this!! training at home so 365 was all i could fit on the bar, but with the smaller plates its harder so not too bad to hit a nice 5 set, an then went for reps with a couple less plates, nailed 9 real fast an then went all dizzy, almost fell over - did 2 more when i came back round >DO KILLS THE HANDS!<

Pull ups were actually pretty good for me, for some reason i was always real bad at them, the most ive ever done is 3 reps for a 1 off set, an i was 195lbs at the time - i want to get strong on these!

Shrugs - need more weight

SaVvY
01-05-2007, 02:38 PM
05/01/07

training - pressing

overhead strict press >standing<
- 51lbs x 8
- 84lbs x 8
- 117lbs x 8
- 130lbs x 5 (PR)
- 139lbs x 2 (PR)

bench press
- 132lbs x 10

narrow grip bench press
- 153lbs x 8 (PR)
- 172lbs x 6

bench press
- 161lbs x 6

narrow grip bench press
- 185lbs x 3 (PR)

bench press
- 132lbs x failure (lost count)

training at home here so weights are different, the bench is not big enough for my back an bad lift off for narrow cuss of hooks in the way + it tends to slants to the left cuss the beams broke :-S - never really knew how many reps i would get exactly but i managed to hit all targets bar one, wanted 8 reps on bench press 161, poor lifting on that one! grip was in the wrong place, balance was off from the get go

weak as hell here as usual, but for me this was a good pressing workout - job done for today! next workout is a killer legs and core sesh!

rugby1001
01-05-2007, 11:14 PM
lets see what other people think of his form
http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/forums/member-pics-post-your-pics-here/40117-vids.html

rugby1001
01-05-2007, 11:17 PM
does this look like 260 to u?

rugby1001
01-05-2007, 11:27 PM
sorry savvy but it had to be done:omg:

SaVvY
01-06-2007, 07:22 AM
haha no idea why you have posted here but cheers man - that threads pure comedy! an great motivation! i remember people were always like 'your lying!!!' they were like messed up lemmings. I couldnt talk of any normal everyday thing i was doing without some jackoff saying i was a fraud, an the amount of people with the 'your swinging' comments about a freakin POWER curl haha

'you dont weigh 260! you dont weigh 260!' *cry* cry* really, so why does this video show me weighing in at 119.2 kilos? 'you dont weigh that! you must have somehow held a plate in your other hand or erm..you dont weigh that! you cant be bigger than my almighty ego!' *cry* cry*

those people are the reason i didnt want to be a personal trainer - for fooks sake! stop whining about pointless, nancy, pathetic arguments, an just go train!

Having morons like that trying to pull ya down just makes ya drive harder - gonna make it even more sweet when everything pays off

rugby1001
01-06-2007, 03:51 PM
haha no idea why you have posted here but cheers man - that threads pure comedy! an great motivation! i remember people were always like 'your lying!!!' they were like messed up lemmings. I couldnt talk of any normal everyday thing i was doing without some jackoff saying i was a fraud, an the amount of people with the 'your swinging' comments about a freakin POWER curl haha

'you dont weigh 260! you dont weigh 260!' *cry* cry* really, so why does this video show me weighing in at 119.2 kilos? 'you dont weigh that! you must have somehow held a plate in your other hand or erm..you dont weigh that! you cant be bigger than my almighty ego!' *cry* cry*

those people are the reason i didnt want to be a personal trainer - for fooks sake! stop whining about pointless, nancy, pathetic arguments, an just go train!

Having morons like that trying to pull ya down just makes ya drive harder - gonna make it even more sweet when everything pays off

:whiner: hahah ur full of it man....

rugby1001
01-06-2007, 07:15 PM
savvy r u sure ur not related to pat robertson or Greg Valentino?

rugby1001
01-06-2007, 09:03 PM
lol.........

rugby1001
01-06-2007, 09:09 PM
what do u gotta say about that?

Fuzzy
01-07-2007, 01:15 AM
Rugby, shut the hell up.

Savvy man, Id like to thank you for giving me a forearm modelto work towards. Right now my forearms are so skinny and week compared to my arms its killing me. Grip strength is amazing, and Ive checked out this thread and taken aot of ideas for how to improve my grip.

Thanks man, and good luck.

SaVvY
01-07-2007, 02:57 PM
rugby - once again, thank you for the motivation, but im just wondering why you have got nothing better to do?

fuzzy - no problemo dude, an you aint seen nothing yet!!

07/01/07

training - legs + core

front squat
- 89lbs x 8
- 111lbs x 8
- 133lbs x 8
- 155lbs x 8
- 177lbs x 8 (PR)

leg press >not including sled weight<
- 265lbs x 20
- 330lbs x 20
- 375lbs x 20
- 265lbs x 30 (PR)

leg curl
- 72lbs x 10
- 88lbs x 10
- 105lbs x 8

stiff leg deadlift
- 133lbs x 12
- 221lbs x 12

standing calf raise
- 507lbs x 3 sets of 15 reps

pull ups
- 5 sets of 3,3,4 (PR),3,3 >done at various times in the session<

rope crunch
- 270lbs x 13 (PR) + 4 drop sets to failure

side bends
- 77lb db x 10 / 10
- 88lb db x 10 / 10
- 99lb db x 10 / 10

not as much rest between sets + some exercises supersetted - conditioning and recovery needs to be improved

Absolutely ******! calf kept knoting up real bad during leg curls, i couldn't actually finish the last set because of it, so i tried stiff leg deads but i just cant seem to work my hams with that exercise - was only feeling like a warm up for my back so i scrap'd it at 2 sets

front squats were ok for 1st time but i was choking myself somewhat with the bar so maybe need to work on the positioning - had more in me on all sets, just getting a feel for it

leg press was done with no lockout, an most of the reps were done 1 after the other real fast, which is KILLER, legs were burning like crazy - again just getting a feel for it, seeing what weights i can do

training of a champion today - job done!

Unholy
01-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Very nice leg work. I watched a whole asston of your vids on youtube. and Have been looking through your journal in regards to grip training. Do you think Plate pinching is a goo form of grip training as well?

SaVvY
01-07-2007, 03:18 PM
07/02/07

Last nights weigh in - 239lbs (again) but now with 12% body fat

this basically shows me that its very close to impossible for me to get to the 300lb mark by the end of next year going the way i am - its been mental in work up until the new year, lots of good strongman strength/power/endurance stuff, but loads of it all the time, which is why ive lost body fat

Ive been eating a lot, but basically nothing at all high in saturated fat or sugary type foods, so clean bulking, which was always the plan

I would like to be 300lbs, but at the end of the day, is it really worth it? im 20 years old, im going to get heavier as i get older no matter what, so should that be a concern of mine? im starting to think it shouldnt be a big one

Since i started bulking ive put on 4lbs an lost 2% body fat, an ive hit pr's every workout - i see no problems

So at least for now, im not gonna worry too much about my weight, im just gonna keep training hard an eating well - as long as my strength is going up all the time, im gonna be strong sooner or later

SaVvY
01-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Very nice leg work. I watched a whole asston of your vids on youtube. and Have been looking through your journal in regards to grip training. Do you think Plate pinching is a goo form of grip training as well?
i had too many pointless vids on youtube! vids will now only be of something cool! ive got a few in mind

plate pinch is great for the thumbs man! i do lots of stuff for my thumbs in work, im gonna start puting some serious effort into getting good at plate pinching soon enough!

Stumprrp
01-07-2007, 04:36 PM
those leg presses musta fried you dude!

rugby1001
01-07-2007, 07:57 PM
post a video of ur deadlift

Fuzzy
01-07-2007, 07:59 PM
post a video of yours...

rugby1001
01-08-2007, 05:44 PM
sorry fuzzy i never knew that savvy was ur boyfriend...y did u take ur videos off of ur form savvy...nice rounded back on ur DL and u swing like a mofo...

SaVvY
01-10-2007, 06:25 AM
didnt see that ban coming..

10/01/07

training - grip

- IM trainer x 10 tns L / 15 tns R
- HG400 2 of 5 attempts made L (PR)
- Banded HG500 3 of 5 attempts made R (PR)
- HG300 X 3 set reps L
- HG400 x 4 R

Towel grip hold
- bw x 58 seconds (PR)

Pinch
- orbatron x 5 negs L / R

>orbatron is an odd shaped plastic 10kg plate, its got sand in it for the weight, its fat an tough to lift<

>dont know for sure if ive been getting the 400 singles recently so this will be a pr as its the best ive done on vid<

Nice sesh - job done!

Coke
01-10-2007, 07:14 AM
The grip work always looks so ill, plus you continue to make pr's.

Unholy
01-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Grats on the PR, you have some sickly strong hands dude.

SaVvY
01-10-2007, 10:31 AM
nowhere close to where i want to be yet, but cheers guys

pr's are EVERYTHING to me, an talking of which, heres some more!

10/01/07 - standing strict press

- 50lbs x 8
- 116lbs x 1
- 150lbs x 1 (PR)
- 133lbs x 4 (PR)
- 83lbs x 14 (PR)

>Legs an core still bust up from the other day so wasn't all that stable, especially on the last set<

Nice to hit 150 strict, i WILL get strong overhead! im gonna do that with twice the weight someday, i swear to god

KevinStarke
01-10-2007, 11:14 AM
PR's all over the place, workouts are lookni good man. Im liking the front squats up top, one of my favorite exercises..

SaVvY
01-11-2007, 12:18 PM
11/01/07

yeh squats need work, heavier fronts next time! just got another PR, hit 5 pull ups, been reading this article http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/7/

John Allstadt is a beast, check out the physical badass ratings - 45+ pull ups an 10 one arms!

Got work 2moz even though they said just sundays..so nothing else today, probably tuesday for next workout, plan right now is something along the lines of:

- log bar clean an press >want to hit at least 200lbs<
- DO pull a new PR (413lbs is my best)
- farmers walk 275lbs a hand
- 5 x 5 on pull ups
- finish up with alternate shoulder squats with my punch bag till i cant stand up

parents are on holiday so ill be training outside - bought me 120kg more weight :-)

Stumprrp
01-11-2007, 12:54 PM
nice strict pressing savvy and nice grip work

SaVvY
01-15-2007, 11:30 AM
cheers stump

15/01/07

training - upper body

log bar clean + press
- 72lbs x 2
- 116lbs x 2
- 160lbs x 4 sets of 1 rep (PR)
- 116lbs x 2

power clean
- 62lbs x 3
- 106lbs x 2
- 150lbs x 1
- 194lbs x fail
- 183lbs x 1 (PR)

DO deadlift
- 283lbs x 3
- 327lbs x 3
- 393lbs x 2 (PR)

farmers walk >weights are each hand<
- 89lbs x 34ft
- 261lbs x fail
- 228lbs x 34ft (PR)

stupid to train today as i was worn out from work yesterday, especially my lower back an grip so it was a bad idea - i thought i could get away with it after an ice bath but strength was not there..393 felt pretty heavy so i didnt go for the 3rd rep, an i couldn't even move 260 on farmers! an after the next one i was toast, maybe do pressing, pull ups, an shrugs later on in the week

my grip especially is completely toast right now, mainly because of the pull ups i was doing on the boom truck pole yesterday, its like 2.5 or 3 inch thick - i was asked if i could do one so i had to try! ended up getting 6 reps an then did another couple sets, maybe 20 or so pull ups total

KevinStarke
01-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Strong upper body work man. Holding on to 228 in each hand takes some serious grip strength I really gotta work on mine.

Stumprrp
01-15-2007, 12:30 PM
great work savvy coming along nice

SaVvY
01-16-2007, 02:37 PM
heh, weak last sesh dudes

16/01/07

pretty big changes in training now, definately keeping with the idea of forgeting size an getting strength up, no scales for a while / no more balls to walls several PR sessions that practically kill me - now will be easy weight, good form, with 5 x 5 most lifts, an ill keep the same weight each sesh until its pure pie

>weights will be in kilos from now on cuss ive got sick of converting all the time! weights wont include locks which are from 0.5-2kg, an bells wont include bars, which are 5-10lb<

training - pressing

standing strict press
- 20kg x 10
- 55kg x 5 >tad too heavy<
- 50kg 5 x 5

close grip bench press
- 70kg 5 x 5

dumbbell bench press
- 30kg 5 x 5

KevinStarke
01-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Gah... kilos.... Workout looks good though man.

SaVvY
01-20-2007, 06:56 AM
18/01/07

training - legs

front squat
- 27.5kg x 8
- 62.5kg x 5
- 90kg 5 x 5 (PR)

lying leg curl
- 10kg x 10
- 20kg x 5
- 32.5kg 5 x 5

Stumprrp
01-20-2007, 07:07 AM
solid front squat PR savvy im guessing thats about 205 lbs?

SaVvY
01-20-2007, 07:09 AM
19/01/07

training - upper body

Pull ups
- BW 5 x 5

DB shrugs
- 30kg x 8
- 50kg x 8 >too light<
- 60kg x 5 >too heavy<
- 52.5kg 4 x 8

DB strict row
- 60kg 5 x 5 L / R

DB side bend
- 30kg x 8 L / 8 R
- 45kg 5 x 5 L / R

rope crunch
- 122.5kg 5 x 5

tad too taxing but not bad - very hard on the hands especially as the bigger bells have thicker handles, an obviously the ropes a killer

although i never use leg drive on dumbbell rows, i normally power it up real fast with body movement - these were done slowly with little to no body movement

SaVvY
01-20-2007, 07:15 AM
solid front squat PR savvy im guessing thats about 205 lbs?
heres a conversion chart stumps - http://marunde-muscle.com/articles/kiloconversion.htm

with the locks it be just over 2 bills - cheers but trying to go easy with these 5 x 5, 90's not a heavy weight for me, its only a pr cuss ive just started doing them

edit - ill put the conversion chart in my sig

Unholy
01-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Very Solid lifting mate. I want to see you on TV lifting huge ****.

SaVvY
01-20-2007, 03:34 PM
haha yeh, id like to see me lifting huge ***** on tv too

trainings never been better than it is at this time - im basically injury free, ive got what i consider a great routine going, im focused, its all good right now

SaVvY
01-21-2007, 02:31 PM
measured the boom truck bar i was playing around on in work the other week, an it's actually 3 inch thick, so im pretty pleased i could do 6 pull ups, hang with one arm both left an right, an do a wrist hold chin up

with my boots an clothes, including a hooded top, i would guess my weight couldn't have been much less than 250lbs, the inch dumbbell is only 172lbs, an the handle is only 2 an 3/8th's thick - the handle rotates on the inch but with the thickness of the bar an my weight being much more, i would be surprised if i couldn't lift it

started having peanut butter an jelly sandwiches a couple days back an ive not stoped since! i think im getting fat but meh, who cares, its about time i stoped being so weak!

SaVvY
01-23-2007, 01:44 PM
23/01/07

training - pressing

standing strict press
- 20kg x 10
- 40kg x 5
- 52.5kg 5 x 5

close grip bench press
- 72.5kg x 5 >too easy<
- 80kg 5 x 5

dumbbell bench press
- 25kg x 5
- 35kg x 5, 5, 5, 5, 4

PISSED..35's were too heavy but i felt a good bit stronger than last time out so i didnt want to do 30's / could only find one 32.5

overhead was easy, close grip was tough but kept form good

next time 32.5 on bells, 55 on overhead an same weight on close grip

SaVvY
01-24-2007, 07:44 AM
24/01/07

training - rolling thunder test >1st time using one<

singles
- upto 80kg R (PR) / 78Kg L (PR)
total - 158kg

i will work up to a 200kg total an then buy another one an try pull ups gripping them

- a rolling thunder is a freely revolving thick handle of the same thickness as the inch dumbbell, the world record is 124kg

SaVvY
01-25-2007, 02:41 PM
25/01/07

training - various

front squat
- 50kg x 8
- 90kg 5 x 5

good morning
- 60kg x 8
- 80kg x 5
- 100kg 5 x 5 (PR)

pull up
- BW X 5, 5, 4

side bend
- 30kg x 8 L / R
- 50kg 3 x 5 L / R

rope crunch
- 112.5kg x 22 (PR), 15, 12

standing calf raise
- 180kg x 10
- 230kg x 22 (PR)

this was a short workout as brother needed to leave early, short rests between sets an still didnt have any time for calfs - good mornings i did oly style, didnt really feel it in my hamstrings, just my lower back

Detard
01-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Really nice strength on your goodmornings!

SaVvY
01-26-2007, 11:29 AM
cheers - maybe too heavy considering ive never done em before, backs aching more than legs today..front squat easy weight though, more next time

just pulled 82.5kg with either hand on the rolling thunder just cuss im bored waiting to go party - total up 7kg to 165

sharkall2003
01-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Just jumping in here and saw the 90 kg's. Is that about 225 lbs? If so, nice PR.

SaVvY
01-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Just jumping in here and saw the 90 kg's. Is that about 225 lbs? If so, nice PR.
what 90kg pr? kg to lb conversion chart is in my sig

sharkall2003
01-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Gotcha, 200 lbs. That's till pretty good.

SaVvY
01-27-2007, 02:29 PM
27/01/07

updated picture, an i did weigh myself too, 245lbs, up 6lbs - go peanut butter jelly sandwiches!

Stumprrp
01-27-2007, 04:37 PM
lookin big

dude pb & jelly are a bulking STAPLE! that and a glass of milk at every snack! :D

Coke
01-28-2007, 08:13 AM
Not the clearest shot but you are huge, keep it up.

SaVvY
01-29-2007, 01:59 PM
yeh 2 of my lights are broke an i just have a cheap webcam so its not gonna be a brilliant pic but cheers guys

29/01/07

training - pressing

standing strict press
- 20kg x 10
- 40kg x 5
- 55kg 5 x 5

close grip bench press
- 50kg x 5
- 80kg 5 x 5

db bench press
- 30kg 5 x 5

side laterals >giant drop set<
- 12.5kg x max, 10kg x max, 7kg x max for 2 sets

db power shrugs
- 60kg x 8

db shrugs
- 50kg 2 x 15 (PR)
after one of the giant sets for shoulders a girl comes up an says 'you look strong, i need you to 'help' me, i need to work on my CHEST' haha :nod:

30's easy bells, 80kg was easier than last time on narrow, overhead was fairly heavy, an shrugs i still had more in me but my left hand was gonna drop it after a couple more so i decided to go with 15..forearms felt like rock afterwards!

SaVvY
01-31-2007, 12:51 PM
31/01/07

training - various

front squat
- 50kg x 8
- 95kg 5 x 5 (PR)

powerclean
- 50kg x 5
- 80kg x 4 (PR)

DO deadlift
- 140kg x 5
- 150kg x 5
- 150kg x 5
- 140kg x 5
- 140kg x 5

abdominal crunch
- several sets to find weight
- 65kg 5 x 5 (PR)

side bend
- 45kg 5 x 5 L / R >pie<

barbell shrug
- 60kg x 12
- 100kg x 10
- 130kg 2 x 10 (PR)

standing calf raise
- 140kg x 12
- 180kg x 10
- 230kg x 10, 8, 9

wasn't gonna do shrugs but traps were not sore so i thought i may as well - good workout overall, 95kg was ok for fronts, but my grip was not up to par today, i was hanging on by a thread on the last set of shrugs! no chalk but thats no excuse - i need to get my grip stronger than my back, as of right now its a couple reps behind

Stumprrp
01-31-2007, 01:10 PM
awesome workout man

SaVvY
02-02-2007, 09:14 AM
cheers dude

01/02/07

training - pressing

giant set >warm up<
- full squat 20kg x 20 / deadlift 20kg x 15 / standing strict press 20kg x 10

standing strict press
- 55kg 5 x 5

close grip bench press
- 80kg 5 x 5

db bench press
- 30kg x 8, 7, 6

superset with db laterals 7kg x 15

i wanted to see how i would fair up after a workout like yesterday, but yeh, the low reps made no difference - everything was much harder than normal, i went all dizzy 4th set of overhead, an nearly fell down after the 5th

night weigh in - 114.2kg / 252lbs / 18 stone

things are changing a little with my thoughts on weight right now, just simply on the fact that i know im getting heavier, but im not really gonna change much of anthing, keep doing these routines, keep eating like several horses, dont weigh in too often, an focus on strength

only real difference now is that ive now got 48lbs to go, an were just starting feb - if i can keep this up 300lbs will happen before the years out

SaVvY
02-05-2007, 01:42 PM
05/02/07

training - full body

powerclean + power jerk
- 20kg x 8
- 60kg 5 x 3

front squat
- 77.5kg 5 x 3

DO deadlift
- 140kg 5 x 3

standing strict press
- 20kg x 8
- 50kg 5 x 3

close grip bench press
- 70kg 5 x 3

dumbbell bench press
- 27.5kg 5 x 3

pull up
- BW 3 x 3

one arm dumbbell row
- 55kg 3 x 3 / 3 x 3

dumbbell shrug
- 55kg 3 x 3

abdominal crunch
- 57.5kg 3 x 5

side bend
- 47.5kg 3 x 5 / 3 x 5

standing calf raise
- 180kg 3 x 10

this was absolute crap! everything was far, far too easy, theres no way i can get strong using 70% of 1rm for 3 reps - pissed off ive wasted a day!

SaVvY
02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
couldn't except that this was a wasted day when i need to be twice as strong as i am now! so more training

training - grip

grippers
- IM #1 x 5 R / L
- IM #2 x 1 R / L
- IM #3 x 1 R
- IM #3 x fail L
- hard IM #3 X 1 R
- IM #2.5 x 1 L
- IM #3.5 x fail R
- IM #3 x fail L
- IM #2 x 30 L (PR)
- IM #2 X 52 R (PR)

towel grip hang
- BW x 60 seconds (PR)

went with ironminds instead of hg's this time - as close as possible to #3 with left, im 100% sure ill be getting it again soon, an #2 was owned

the towel grip hang was hellishly hard, but it was simply not possible for me to let go without breaking the minute mark, it wasn't gonna happen! now that ive done it ima try one arm towel grip holds next time

Coke
02-06-2007, 03:55 AM
... if i can keep this up 300lbs will happen before the years out

The big 300 is not out of your reach, go for it bro.

SaVvY
02-06-2007, 02:18 PM
yeh man, it will happen sooner or later thats for sure - strength is the main thing but im sure i can gain another stone pretty quick, 19 stones would be heavier than ive ever been! i dont want to gain too quick though

06/02/07

training - upper body

dumbbell bench press
- 15kg x 10
- 30kg x 5
- 40kg x 5 (PR)
- 34kg 2 x 10

incline bench press
- 47.5kg x 10
- 57.5kg x 9
- 51.5kg x 10

dumbbell laterals
- 6kg x 12
- 10kg 2 x 10

barbell curl
- 27.5kg x 10
- 42.5kg x 8
- 48.5kg x 8
- 52.5kg x 8 (PR)

dumbbell preacher curl
- 10kg x 10 / 10
- 12kg x 8 / 8
- 16kg x 8 / 8 (PR)
- 18kg x 6 / 6 (PR)

chin up hold
- BW x 16 seconds (PR)

SaVvY
02-07-2007, 04:51 PM
07/02/07

training - legs / core

front squat
- 50kg x 8
- 90kg x 2
- 100kg x 11 (PR)

back squat
- 110kg x 8
- 120kg x 10 (PR)

hammer strength leg curl
- 30kg x 8
- 40kg x 8 (PR)
- 35kg x 10 (PR)

standing calf raise
- 180kg x 10
- 220kg 3 x 10

abdominal crunch
- 50kg x 20
- 57.5kg x 20
- 65kg x 20 (PR)

dumbbell side bend
- 25kg x 10 / 10
- 50kg x 15 / 15 (PR)

wanted to see what i could do - im failry happy with my front squats, cuss thats a 300lbs 1rm conversion, an i didnt think id be getting one of those for months, i was actually just thinking of 300+ before the years out, i should probably aim for 160-170kg

on back squats i had more in the tank, i just got the 160kg 1rm conversion i was after - i should definately get 180kg before the years out, though 200 would be better

Coke
02-08-2007, 04:15 AM
Both the chest/delt & bi's plus the leg day all looks very well dude.

SaVvY
02-08-2007, 02:17 PM
yeh cheers - happy to rep the 40's on chest, bi's need to be stronger now (have not been able to curl for a while cuss of a wrist injury), but happy with the squats

08/02/07

training - upper body

(again, i dont count the handle weight on db's anymore, but also not counting hammer bar weight here)

seated dumbbell press
- 15kg x 8
- 25kg x 8 (PR)
- 27kg x 6 (PR)
- 29kg x 1 (PR) >everything went blury on 2nd rep / bells fell on my legs<
- 15kg x 17 (PR)

super set with:

seated laterals
- 4kg x 8
- drop 2kg x 10-15

seated double arm hammer extension
- 15kg x 10
- 30kg x 10
- 40kg x 5 (PR)
- 34kg x 11 (PR)

dumbbell shrugs
- 54kg x 20 (PR)
- 60kg x 15 (PR)
- 64kg x 10 (PR) >more in the tank<

seated shoulder with the bells was a little strange cuss i hadn't done it in a while, an i think i pretty much blacked out for a sec there..wasnt feeling too good until the last set of extensions, strength came along then

shrugs - knurless handles an grip didnt budge a mm, yeah buddy!

Stumprrp
02-08-2007, 04:47 PM
great workouts savvy

SaVvY
02-09-2007, 12:01 PM
cheers stump

09/02/07

training - grip

grippers
- trainer x 10 L / R
- #2 x 2 L / R
- HG400 2 x negative L
- HG500 2 x negative R
- HG400 x fail, 1 L
- HG400 x 4 R >wheres the strength??<
- #2 x 20 R / 10 L

plate wrist curl
- 10kg x 20 R (PR) / 23 L (PR) >FOUND THE STRENGTH!<

one arm towel grip hang
- BW x not gonna happen fatman

towel grip hang
- BW x 62 seconds (PR)

plate wrist curl - whoa..last time i did this i got like 10 i think, felt like nothing

towel grip - DAMNIT! my plan is ruined, i couldn't do one arm..

Coke
02-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Damn bro, saw your ill vids - rolling up a frying pan is ridiculous - :D ...the apple crush is sweet.

SaVvY
02-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Damn bro, saw your ill vids - rolling up a frying pan is ridiculous - :D ...the apple crush is sweet.
haha did those AGES ago dude! most people seem to the think the frying pan is more impressive, but the apple crush is actually light years more difficult

not concentrating on stuff like that now, need to get strong all around! 180kg deadlift for reps next session, next pressing session ima see what my 1rm is on standing strict press, an next legs session im doing 100kg x 20 back squat - NO FAILURE!

SaVvY
02-12-2007, 10:37 AM
12/02/07

training - deadlift / rowing / abs

upright clean
- 47.5kg x 6

deadlift
- 127.5kg x 5
- 180kg x 5 (PR)
- 190kg x 2 (PR)

dumbbell row
- 15kg x 20 L / 20 R
- 45kg x 30 L (PR) / 30 R (PR)

bench crunch
- BW 2 X 30

deadlifts - pretty happy with this, i need to be much stronger but they were all proper deadlifts, no bouncing, an no hitching either..my forms crap though, unless im using sumo i dont seem to use any legs at all

rows - 45kg = owned

SaVvY
02-13-2007, 08:50 AM
13/02/07

training - upper body

dumbell bench press
- 15kg x 15
- 31kg 5 x 10

barbell curl >very strict form<
- 22.5kg x 8
- 37.5kg x 8
- 39.5kg x 8
- 41.5kg x 7
- 43.5kg x 6

Stumprrp
02-13-2007, 08:54 AM
solid workout man

SaVvY
02-13-2007, 11:06 AM
thanks man! bench was ok but my biceps are weak now, need to put like 20kg on those curls asap!

backs sore from yesterday so maybe need a day or 2 off i donno, ill see how i feel 2moz - next workout should be 100kg x 20 back squat

nutrition update - im on the see food diet right now, but still everything im eating is for a reason, calories are calories, but mainly im having lots of peanut butter an jelly sandwiches, pizza's, tuna, pasta, rice, eggs, chicken, fruit etc

Also im now starting to use supplements haha might seem like something i should have been doing ages ago, but ive not really had any benefits from what ive tried in the past, creatine has always made me feel sick an bloated + it tastes real bad, an the zma i tried didnt really do anything, only two things have been serious mass an whey protein really, which im hardly ever using these days.

Now though, i think ima start getting some use out of supplements. I tried some stuff from designer supplements for a month like 4-6 weeks ago, two together, activate an rxt, reviews looked good an i feel they did actually work, helped with strength, as well as keeping my body fat down, but didn't seem to help recovery, or endurance.

Im waiting on some more of those ones to do another month of em, an ive just got this blend of aminos i seen recommended on the mmi forum - the idea with these is to improve recovery (thats what i need!) an endurance. Just put a pint of water an 2 scoops in a blender an DAMN! it pretty much exploded! though when the fiz calmed down i drank it an it taste pretty good :-)

SaVvY
02-14-2007, 09:12 AM
14/02/07

training - squats

back squat
- 47.5kg x 8
- 82.5kg x 2
- 100kg x 22 (PR)

felt like NOTHING! i have no doubt that i could have done 30 - i did this with no spot, i knew it wouldn't be a problem coming in after how 120 felt last sesh

Coke
02-15-2007, 04:18 AM
I guess calories are calories after all, eating everything in sight, lol...nice pr on those squats.

SaVvY
02-15-2007, 01:16 PM
15/02/07

training - upper body

standing strict press
- 22.5kg x 8
- 52.5kg x 2
- 71.5kg x 1 (PR)
- 73.5kg x 0, 0
- 62.5kg x 3 (PR)
- 52.5kg x 9 (PR)

seated dumbbell laterals
- 4kg x 10
- 8kg x 10, drop 6kg x 10, drop 4kg x 10

barbell front raise >never done this before<
- 7.5kg x 10
- 17.5kg x 8, 10, 13 (PR)

seated double arm hammer extension
- 15kg x 10
- 40kg x 8 (PR)
- 30kg x 18 (PR)

barbell curl
- 41.5kg x 8
- 43.5kg x 8
- 45.5kg x 6

i pressed the 73.5 above my head on the second attempt but i just couldn't lock it out an i got a massive case of star vision, very lucky to get the bar racked an not drop it on me (though i cut my hand doing so) - the way i was stumbling about looked like some weird dance haha i had absolutely no idea where i was

Coke
02-16-2007, 05:56 AM
Awesome stuff with your strict pressing, seeing stars and stumbling about that way is quite intense, lol.

Stumprrp
02-16-2007, 06:01 AM
71 kg on a strict press is solid stuff dude..(about 160 lbs?)

Detard
02-16-2007, 10:38 AM
looking good man. great workouts

SaVvY
02-16-2007, 11:01 AM
cocoa - intensity, insensity, INTENSITY!!!!..my head was ringing for like 5 or 6 minutes haha second freakin time on overhead recently though! although with the bells i think i just went out for sec

stump - yeh around 160 but nah, thats pretty crappy, had a few problems using the dip bars of my powerstation as a rack, i think id be good for 75 at the gym

detard - cheers bud

16/02/07

training - core

bench crunch
- BW x 15
- +10kg x 20
- +10kg x 30
- +10kg x 40
- +20kg x 50 (PR)
- +40kg x 22 (PR)

dumbbell side bend
- 24kg x 10 / 10
- 60kg x 20 / 20 (PR)
- 45kg x 10 / 10
- 30kg x 12 / 12

had to use some of the ironmind nails id bent as a support for where you hook your feet on the bench - bent the fook out of a green on the 20kg set! upgraded to a yellow an we were good :-)

as far as the side bends go, yeh the 60kg was damn heavy, but i wanted 20 reps so i got them! form went downhill at 14-16, just started leaning forward an inch or 2, but not TOO bad - im pretty happy with that

Coke
02-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Great core work with the side bends and all.

SaVvY
02-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Great core work with the side bends and all.
thanks yeh side bends were pretty good

my mum has said that i could have a garage to train in if i pay for, and build it myself, so im looking at the options with that right now - having this would help a lot with training i feel, i could have a power rack an specific equipment, as well as as much weight as i want..i can fit 8 7.5's on each side of my bigger bell handles, so thats like 120kg haha

would take a while to get the money for it but im supposed to be going back to 3 days a week pretty soon so i donno, something to consider anyways

Stumprrp
02-17-2007, 01:52 PM
super solid core work man

HeavyBomber
02-17-2007, 07:00 PM
16/02/07

training - core

bench crunch
- BW x 15
- +10kg x 20
- +10kg x 30
- +10kg x 40
- +20kg x 50 (PR)
- +40kg x 22 (PR)

dumbbell side bend
- 24kg x 10 / 10
- 60kg x 20 / 20 (PR)
- 45kg x 10 / 10
- 30kg x 12 / 12

I'm doing this next ab workout.
Savvy, good job on all those PR's. Getting strong(er) my man.

Bob
02-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Dang Savvy... a bunch of PRs over the last few workouts!!! Way to go Man!!

I've been meaning to try those IronMind nails.. but I still have problems with any CoC above a #1... looks like a lot of fun though.

SaVvY
02-18-2007, 01:37 PM
thanks for the positive vibes guys! pr's have been flowing nicely following the 5 x 5 routines, an yeh, definately stronger haha not strong, i hope to get the strong (by most peoples standard) status by the end of the year, ive decided on some goal weights that ill stick to, have charts up on my walls for each lift:

front squat - 180kg
back squat - 205kg
deadlift - 250kg
power clean - 135kg
power jerk - 135kg
standing strict press - 100kg
close grip bench press - 135kg
dumbell bench press - 70kg
abdominal crunch - 80kg x 50
dumbbell side bend - 100kg
dumbbell shrugs - 120kg
one arm dumbbell row - 150kg
barbell curl - 80kg

I have to hit each one of these weights with either lifting them for 1 rep, or doing reps that convert to them as a 1rm, however the reps must be 10 or under

hope to do 165kg for reps on tuesday, going for 10 an i have to get them, this would be my first 220kg 1rm conversion if i hit it (5 plates a side) - right now im done for though, recovering for tuesday may be tough, work was hellish today, im sore all over

SaVvY
02-19-2007, 03:51 PM
19/02/07

training - grip

got pissed at some 20 year old closing a #3 easily first time trying without ever doing any grip training, as well as coming a half inch from the #4 - real annoying when ya work damn hard to get to a certain strength level an then someone comes along an is at your level without doing jack all..anyways, it caused me to do some grip training

grippers - went for the #3.5 with no warm up an got it to 1/4inch with me right, then got #3 to literaly 1mm away with left, then did random stuff for a while, i just wanted to crush something haha

plate wrist curl
- 10kg x 20 / 20

plate pinch
- 2 10kg plates x 40 L (PR) / 40 R (PR)
- 3 7.5kg plates x 1 L (PR) / 1 R (PR)
- 4 7.5kg plates x nothing L / R

thumb strength is improving! its about time i did some plate pinch - actually did 3 rep sets an loads of singles an high pulls by the face with the 10kg plates, just not sure on the numbers an those 40 rep sets were definately the best

3 7.5's were real, real easy, i was totally surprised to get them up, an i actually picked em up an walked around haha felt like i could have rep'd the hell out of em

SaVvY
02-20-2007, 11:39 AM
20/02/07

training - deadlift + back squat

deadlift
- 47.5kg x 8
- 107.5kg x 5
- 165kg x 7 (PR)

back squat
- 47.5kg x 8
- 87.5kg x 2
- 100kg x 25 (PR)

my aim was to do 10 on dead, an 30 on squat, but it just wasn't gonna happen today

deadlift - i made a big mistake on wearing shorts! they were just a bit too small, i couldn't squat down any, so the moron i am, i just pulled them up an starting lifting >straight away the bar felt 20-30kg heavier as soon as it hit my thighs, it was flying up, but then the lockout on each rep was hard as hell, the knurling was diging right into my legs, it just ruined the set..no more shorts for pulls!

squat - after the deads i got real hot an tired all of sudden, took me 10-15 minutes to feel semi ok again, but i said i was gonna do 100kg x 30..felt WAY heavier than last time, my back was dead from the start, an my head felt like it was on fire the whole time + i just could not get air in > it was PURE HELL!

Stumprrp
02-20-2007, 02:59 PM
AWESOME work!!! brutal lower workout

Coke
02-21-2007, 05:31 AM
Superior training there with your squats, deads, and grip/forearm work.

SaVvY
02-21-2007, 11:11 AM
cheers guys - happy with the pinch, but the last sesh didnt go as i plan, i should have smoked 10 on dead an then bust out 30 on squat

5 pps dead, 4pps back squat, 3pps front squat, 2pps overhead, IM #3.5 right, IM #3 left, 2 20kg plate pinch with either hand, an make some BIG improvements all around - the next month or 2 will be BIG for me >NOW IS THE TIME<

SaVvY
02-21-2007, 02:35 PM
21/02/07

training - upper body

standing strict press
- 22.5kg x 8
- 37.5kg x 5
- 52.5kg x 5
- 67.5kg x 3 (PR)
- 62.5kg x 5 (PR)

standing one arm dumbbell press
- 15kg 3 x 10 left only

bench press
- 22.5kg x 20

incline bench press >pin 4<
- 62.5kg x 7
- 54.5kg x 10

bench press
- high rep 5 part drop set starting with 60.5kg x 12, ending with 7.5kg x 200

barbell curl
- 22.5kg x 8
- 45.5kg x 7
- 45.5kg x 8
- 47.5kg x 5

seated dumbbell laterals
- 10kg x 8
- drop 6kg x 8
- drop 4kg x 8

SaVvY
02-22-2007, 02:01 PM
22/02/07

training - triceps / grip

seated hammer extension
- 15kg x 10
- 40kg x 10 (PR)
- 30kg x 22 (PR)

seated one arm dumbbell extension
- 15kg x 7 left only
- 17kg x 5 left only
- 19kg x 3 left only
- 10kg x 14 left only

grippers
- #3.5 x fail R
- #3 x 4 singles L
- #3 x 4 doubles R

plate pinch
- 2 10kg plates x 15-20 second hold L / R
- 2 10kg plates x 2 finger lifts L / R

FINALLY! after i donno how many times failing at the last bit, ive closed #3 lefty again, this time more than once though

Coke
02-23-2007, 05:01 AM
No doubt, this is your time bro...pr's with every effort - :thumbup:

SaVvY
02-25-2007, 01:22 PM
need to get a move on though - getting #3 with either hand like that is one step, next legs session i will take another

weighed in last night - 115kg / 254lb / 18 stone 2lbs - 12lbs to 19 stones

was pulling nets all day today, netting probably the most famous place to fish in my town - it was HARD work

i got a bit of a kick out of removing the fence work though! big thick wooden posts, all linked together in the water, 15 feet of it, an these things are in deep ***** (literally) - dad says 'remove that fence clunk' so i said 'ok dad'

i went at this thing kong style as i do everything, literally ripped it apart haha DESTRUCTION!!! NICE..i hit the main big link up from a rack pull position an made it crumble :-) loads of people were watching, they were gathering from the streets an everything

FOOKED now, sore all over an i got work 2moz!

Coke
02-26-2007, 04:51 AM
Wow man, destroying shiat like King Kong no doubt and with an audience at that.

Must be packing the food in to be sitting at about 255lbs - wonder how it would be to weigh that much.

BiggerGuns=LD
02-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Great work SaVvy, very inspiring journal to read

SaVvY
02-27-2007, 09:08 AM
cocoa - yeh i eat a lot!

27/02/07

training - squat / pull

back squat
- 65kg x 8
- 105kg x 5
- 140kg x 10 (PR)

rack pull >just above the knee<
- 105kg x 3 >hook grip<
- 145kg x 3 >hook grip<
- 185kg x 3 >hook grip<
- 225kg x 3 >hook grip<
- 265kg x 3 >straps< (PR)

im not fantastic at getting the par depth perfect everytime yet as ive always done full squats until recently, that part still needs work but overall im happy with those squats - i kept my arch strong an the weight didn't feel all that heavy

always seems to fly up until it gets to above the knee with deads so i did some pulls from that point. Tried the hook grip out, seems to make for an effortless grip, but the 225 was pretty painful on the thumbs an i aint really used it before so i switched to straps for the last set - probably a few more in the tank but 265 was heavy

Coke
02-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Like the way you concentrate on a couple of movements and pull off pr's with ease, good stuff big guy.

SaVvY
02-28-2007, 03:15 PM
weighed in again last night, just wanted to get 255, an then put the scales away for a bit - 115.6kg

cocoa - yeh i dont do anything too fancy, you wont find me doing several different exercise to 'hit the muscle from all angles' i do what it takes to improve what i want to improve, anything else it a waste of my time

28/02/07

training - upper body

dumbbell bench press
- 15kg x 10
- 40kg x 5
- 36kg x 8 (PR)
- 30kg x 13, 15 (PR)

one arm seated dumbbell press
- 25kg x 10 triples >left only<

barbell curl
- 22.5kg x 8
- 45.5kg x 9
- 47.5kg x 8
- 49.5kg x 6

changed the curls a little, started off strict, but then added some cheat to get another couple reps

Coke
03-01-2007, 05:37 AM
Fine job once again my friend.

SaVvY
03-01-2007, 02:22 PM
thanks for the support coke

01/03/07

training - grip / core

grippers
- IM trainer no set x 10 / 10
- IM #3 x 1 L
- HG400 X 1 R
- HG400 X 4 L (PR)
- HG400 X 13 R
- HG400 no set x fail L
- HG400 no set x 2 R
- IM #2 no set x 20 / 20

plate pinch
- 2 10kg plates x 15-25 second hold R / L

v-bar deadlift
- 63kg x 5 / 5
- 103kg x 1 R (PR) / 1 L (PR)

v-bar
- 118kg x 1 R / 1 L
- 123kg x 1 R (PR) / 1 L (PR)
>246kg total - 39th in the world rankings<

grippers
- IM trainer no set x 50 / 50, 25 / 25, 25 / 25 >only resting during other hands reps<

bench crunch
- BW x 10
- +20kg 10 x 15 >60 seconds rest between sets<

Coke
03-02-2007, 05:42 AM
Awesome work throughout SaVvy...like your journal title says, nothing can stop you man.

SaVvY
03-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Awesome work throughout SaVvy...like your journal title says, nothing can stop you man.
you DAMN right!! its only a matter of time

couple of vids here, just some grip stuff - plate wrist curls an #3 with left..i couldn't close even #1 for a while with left, #2 took months an months, so its sweet to be able to get #3 consistently now

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bA61x7kOFo4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ta59VeEoh-g

my grip is still nowhere near where it needs to be though - i want double no set of hg400's, double 2 20kg plate pinch deadlift with my golds gym marbled plates, 100kg with either hand on the rolling thunder, 136kg v-bar with either hand..goals are plenty!

i think next sesh something like front squat 120kg for 3 singles, back squat 140kg for 3 triples, an then more rack pulls

SaVvY
03-03-2007, 12:46 PM
decided to get some pressing in before work 2moz, hopefully wont have a whole lot of pressing to do in work

03/03/07

training - pressing

standing strict press
- 22.5kg x 8
- 37.5kg x 5
- 67.5kg x 2
- 52.5kg x 10 (PR)
- 52.5kg x 10
- 54.5kg x 9 (PR)

close grip standing strict press
- 37.5kg x 5
- 52.5kg x 5
- 62.5kg x 2 (PR)
- 58.5kg x 3 (PR)
- 52.5kg x 7 (PR)

dumbbell laterals
- 8kg x max
- drop 6kg x max
- drop 4kg x max
- drop 2kg x max
- drop handle x max

Fuzzy
03-04-2007, 12:19 AM
What happend when you shake someones hands?

Coke
03-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Never even seen plate wrist curls before man, super shiat there and with your presses and db laterals.

SaVvY
03-05-2007, 07:36 AM
haha i think i could potentially mess a hand up pretty bad, so i dont crush em, i can see some broken bones in the future for some unlucky moron who p*ssed me off though..:cool:

coke - plate wrist curls are awesome for finger strength

04/03/07

training - various

front squat
- 50kg x 8
- 90kg x 2
- 110kg x 1
- 120kg 3 x 1 (PR)

Back squat
- 140kg x 3

high rack pull >6in rom<
- 170kg x 3
- 250kg x 3
- 290kg x 3 (PR)

ez curl >not including bar weight<
- 10kg x 8
- 30kg x 8
- 40kg x 8

giant set
- ez curl 50kg x 4
- dumbbell shrugs 45kg x 40 (PR)
- one arm dumbbell row 45kg x 20 / 20

Coke
03-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Must be nice to raise up continually...smart training, ace session.

Stumprrp
03-05-2007, 12:46 PM
awesome workout big weights

SaVvY
03-05-2007, 03:51 PM
cheers guys

lockouts were heavy stumps but only grip wise cuss i was sweating loads an had no chalk, bells were LIGHT, i couldn't find anything heavier - end of this month im gonna order a power rack for my room, pulls at me old gym, but everything else at home, wanted it now but i was £15 short damnit!

improvement comes natural to me, i just go an do whatever i feel like, sometimes i plan exactly what ill do, other times ill just go an do something at random without thinking twice about it - i trust my instincts cuss i LIVE this thing none stop

heres what ive ate today so far to get an idea of typical eating:

- breakfast was 5 whole eggs, 1 tin wholewheat spag, 2 slices seeded batch
- serious mass weight gainer shake in 1 pint milk with 2 scoops whey added
- loads of beef with 3 jacket spuds an veg
- 4 peanut butter jelly sandwiches using seeded batch
- half a large mixing bowl of pasta with 2 tins tuna
+ couple packets high monos crisp between meals, an ive had 2 multi vits an 2 cod liver oil

...im hungry, ima go get another gainer

05/03/07

training - pressing

close grip bench press
- 60kg x 8
- 70kg x 2
- 80kg x 1
- 100kg x 1
- 105kg x 1 (PR)
- 110kg 2 x fail
- 80kg x 9 (PR) + 1 >bro called me a butt F'N quitter (lol) so i did another 5 secs later<

dumbbell bench press
- 25kg x 8
- 35kg x 11, 12 (PR), 10

should have had the 110, cocked up the positioning TWICE - absolutely done for now, need to rest 2moz!

Coke
03-06-2007, 05:20 AM
Damn, that's a ton of food - you'll be at the big 3 no doubt...great close grip and db benching.

SaVvY
03-07-2007, 12:03 PM
07/03/07

training - grip

grippers
- IM trainer no set x 10 / 10
- HG400 x 3 L
- IM #3 x 5 R
- IM #2 no set x 20 / 20

two hand plate pinch
- singles upto 60kg

two hand rolling thunder
- singles upto 150.5kg (PR)

grippers
- IM #1 no set 5 x 10 / 5 x 10
- giant drop set IM #2 #1 trainer no set to failure R / L

these 20kg plates of mine are gonna be tougher than i thought, they are much thicker than i realised an they are sharp around the edges too - took off several layers of skin

SaVvY
03-08-2007, 01:02 PM
last nights weigh in: 116.6kg / 257lbs/ 18 stone 5lbs

08/03/07

training - upper body >straps used on all rows an shrugs<

one arm dumbbell row
- 15kg x 15 / 15
- 30kg x 10 / 10
- 45kg x 5 / 5
- 70kg x 10 (PR) / 10 (PR)
- 60kg x 15 (PR) / 15 (PR)

dumbbell shrugs
- 30kg x 20
- 50kg x 10
- 68kg x 21 (PR)
- 78kg x 15 (PR)

barbell curl
- 22.5kg x 8
- 37.5kg x 5
- 47.5kg x 8
- 37.5kg 3 x 10

grips toast from yesterday so gave it some rest - i am bigger an stronger than ive ever been before, an i CANT BE STOPED!!!

Coke
03-09-2007, 04:55 AM
On a roll and taking it to the next level big dude...good back & grip work.

SaVvY
03-09-2007, 12:08 PM
thanks man, happy with the shrugs, rows need to be better - i can see those kg's being triple figures in the future, cant really use that much weight in my room though so not too sure what ill do about that

i dont think ive took it to the next level just yet, though i feel when i get a power rack in my room thats exactly whats gonna happen

09/03/07

training - pressing

standing strict press
- 22.5kg x 8
- 37.5kg x 5
- 54.5kg x 10 (PR)
- 52.5kg 5 x 5
- 37.5kg 5 x 10
- 22.5kg x 22

SaVvY
03-10-2007, 11:30 AM
this log is over, ill start a new one when i get a rack for my room