PDA

View Full Version : Wrestlers/MMA fighters - your face...

Hazerboy
11-02-2006, 05:36 PM
This might go under "general health" but I figured I'd get more responses here...

Every year during wrestling season I get HORRIBLE mat burn all over my face; microscopic scrapes all over my forehead, chin, and all around my eyes. Its not just from the mat actually - sometimes you just scrape your face alot while tieing up.

Me and one other senior on our team get this - I think its because we have sensative skin from all of our acne treatments. I've been using benza clin and retina-Micro for two-three years (both topical treatments) and on and off antibiotics. Would stopping treatment help with this at all?

Is there really anything I can do? The look isn't so much of a problem (except all of my teachers frequently asking me who and where I got in a fight...) but every shower feels like bioling lava all over my face. Even soft cleansers and soap have become acid, and every morning i awaken with a face that feels so tight that even opening my mouth to eat sucks. Shaving has become a once a week ordeal. The low humidity of winter doesn't help much either.

I apply a special face moisterizer after showering but it seems that can only help so much.

Dinosaur
11-02-2006, 05:44 PM
I don't get much mat burn in karate, but Liquid Skin worked pretty well when I got some on my face. As for prevention, well, not much you can really do. I have heard of some boxers rubbing around their eyes with their thumbs to try to callus them up so it doesn't cut as much, could work I guess so you could try that. Just don't rub so hard that you bleed.

rugby1001
11-02-2006, 09:00 PM
I don't get much mat burn in karate, but Liquid Skin worked pretty well when I got some on my face. As for prevention, well, not much you can really do. I have heard of some boxers rubbing around their eyes with their thumbs to try to callus them up so it doesn't cut as much, could work I guess so you could try that. Just don't rub so hard that you bleed.
bump on that

bloodninja
11-02-2006, 09:07 PM
I had a permanent black eye all through wrestling, I would have loved to just have a few scrapes here and there.

1mmort4l
11-03-2006, 12:51 AM
I never had a major problem with scrapes and cuts etc.. but recently when i started wrestling again, it was a problem, i think becasue my girl freind got me to do a bit of a skin course where i get Derm Abrasions (spelling) once a fortnight, and a facial occasionally. My skin was really good, smooth etc.. but when i went back on the mat, i think this was the problem.. Maybe you just have to toughen your face up a bit...I think i do, but not sure how. 3 days stubble rubbing against your face doesnt help either.

aweickert
11-16-2006, 02:50 PM
I used to have lots of problems with my face during my wrestling career. I still have some problems now doing mma but have found some tricks that seem to help. After wrestling practice, I would use Vaseline Creamy. This stuff would work wonders for me. I had lots of creams and pills from docters that had a hefty price tag. This stuff is cheap and worked well. Give it a try and I hope this works for you.